Getting Killed on UWorld Step II CK

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IonClaws

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long story short, I had to take a year off due to extenuating circumstances between 2nd and 3rd year. I passed the Step 1 (218). I'm getting back into the game with the IM rotation and prior to the rotation did most of Pretest IM, scoring in the 50%'s. I've also been getting in the 50's for random IM blocks on UWorld, so Pretest and reading its explanations didn't do anything to help.

I'm also finding it really difficult to study for long periods of time without getting burned out/unable to focus, especially reading books, answer explanations etc. I'm already on academic probation at my school and don't want to flunk the shelf and get booted from med school. Anyone have any advice on how to improve?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think the amount you get right really matters. It's how much you are learning while doing the questions ie hopefully you're writing down the information and reviewing it. I find it helpful to read or do practice questions really early in the morning or during down time on the wards

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I second using UWorld as a learning not assessment tool. Use it in tutor mode and treat it as an interactive textbook; do a couple of questions whenever you have a few minutes of free time.

For assessment on where you stand and getting your timing down, use NBME practice tests (there are 4 of them). In fact, I highly recommend doing all 4 NBME exams and reviewing the questions you got wrong because not only are the questions most representative of the actual shelf exam (a little easier than UWorld) but you can see some of them on the shelf.

In addition, I found reading about my patients' conditions on UpToDate or even Step Up to Medicine less tedious than trying to read Step Up straight through.

Similar feeling here. Cruised through UW with a 80% first pass and 93% second pass and did well on Step 1 but I'm clueless on this CK bank. I'm getting in the 60s for the rotation I'm on.

I don't know about you all but I don't have significant amounts of time do really do anything for more than 20-30 minutes on the wards and I also don't find UptoDate helpful for shelf prep (for patients and practical knowledge yes). I struggle to know what depth of detail will be expected on shelves and Step 2. Seems like I always get the diagnosis easily but it comes down to CT vs MRI or some other management issue that I don't feel is becoming salient on the wards.

Honestly when I get questions on UWCK or pimping questions it is ALWAYS from knowledge I gained studying for Step 1. I hope it just all builds and that that is a good thing but right now I'm struggling with those next step questions.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Your uworld percentage means nothing. Also, it is a good thing when you encounter questions you don't know and get it wrong! If you use the questions correctly and learn then you will know it for the actual test (which is all that matters). It's hard to think that way but you will save yourself a lot of stress.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

UWorld percentages don't mean a thing. For Step 1 I kept scoring in the 50s-60s first pass and I scored >260 on actual Step 1. During third year it's been the same way, scoring 68% overall on UW but getting >95 on all shelf exams (including 100 national percentile on my IM shelf). As long as you have a good system for learning from all the explanations and not just passively reading, it's ok.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
It's hard to think that way but you will save yourself a lot of stress.
2.gif

UWorld percentages don't mean a thing. For Step 1 I kept scoring in the 50s-60s first pass and I scored >260 on actual Step 1. During third year it's been the same way, scoring 68% overall on UW but getting >95 on all shelf exams (including 100 national percentile on my IM shelf). As long as you have a good system for learning from all the explanations and not just passively reading, it's ok.

How do you read the explanations for the answers? What system do you use?