Getting licensed in a state that doesn't require a postdoc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychstudent5

PhD
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm getting licensed in a state that doesn't require a postdoc. However, I don't plan to live in this state forever. I completed a postdoc, but it was exclusively research. I didn't obtain any clinical hours. If I move to another state, within the next 1-3 years, that requires a postdoc for their license. Will I have to amass those postdoc hours in the new state? What hurdles would be expected?

Members don't see this ad.

You would likely need to amass the hours for the new state, yes. If you have particular states in mind, I'd suggest looking through their licensing codes now, as I believe some may have a time limit on how long it can be post-graduation that you accumulate the hours. Thus, if you wait too long, you may be disqualified from licensure. This is why I generally encourage folks to obtain a year's worth of supervised hours even if they don't need them, just in case.

Reactions: 4 users
Double like times eleventy on AA's post. I always advise students to essentially make sure their postdoc enables them to be licensed everywhere. You never know what opportunities will avail themselves to you. Not having that year of clinical work will close a lot of doors early career.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies. Should I simply get supervision at my job for a year, even though I will be licensed?

Is it possible to get licensed in a state that doesn't require a post-doc, and then completed a neuro- post-doc/fellowship at a VA in a different state? Since the VA only requires a license in a state, not necessarily the state of the VA you're working in, I would imagine that by doing this, you could be employed as an LP, while completing the requirements of a 2-year neuro- fellowship. I've also heard that ABPP-CN can only be obtained after a psychologist has been licensed for 2 years (is that true?), so this approach seems like it could expedite the process? I wonder if a 2-year fellowship completed in a VA as an LP would fulfill supervised post-doc requirements for most states?

Is it possible to get licensed in a state that doesn't require a post-doc, and then completed a neuro- post-doc/fellowship at a VA in a different state? Since the VA only requires a license in a state, not necessarily the state of the VA you're working in, I would imagine that by doing this, you could be employed as an LP, while completing the requirements of a 2-year neuro- fellowship. I've also heard that ABPP-CN can only be obtained after a psychologist has been licensed for 2 years (is that true?), so this approach seems like it could expedite the process? I wonder if a 2-year fellowship completed in a VA as an LP would fulfill supervised post-doc requirements for most states?

At that point, though, there is no reason to get licensed for the VA postdoc as the license would not confer any additional benefits other than the privilege of having to pay for it and track your CE hours more closely.

Reactions: 1 users
At that point, though, there is no reason to get licensed for the VA postdoc as the license would not confer any additional benefits other than the privilege of having to pay for it and track your CE hours more closely.

What about the 2-year delay between licensure and board certification? Is that misinformation, or is there truth to that?

What about the 2-year delay between licensure and board certification? Is that misinformation, or is there truth to that?

I am not sure, but, it would be pretty difficult to be boarded before that anyway. You can't sit for the exam until after postdoc is over (and you should be licensed before you finish postdoc). Then you wait for your results. After you get your results, then you can submit practice samples (which have to be cases you saw as an independent neuropsychologist). Those have to be reviewed. If they are accepted, then you can go for the orals, which only happen twice a year. It is a lengthy process.

To add to WisNeuro's post, you also need to have credentials reviewed before you're eligible to sit for the written exam, and the written exam is only offered four times per year.

So yep, it can be a lengthy process. I don't see anything specifically requiring a two-year delay between licensure and certification, but I might be missing it in my skimming.

Edit: From a PowerPoint presentation on AACN's website, RE: misconceptions:

"You need to be in the field for X years to be board eligible (i.e., ready to sit for the written examination).”

Historically there was a period post licensure that applicants had to wait prior to being board eligible. This is no longer the case.

Man, if someone can get it done within 2 years of finishing postdoc, they are on the ball. I'm just past the 2 year mark and all I have done is the written exam and am still waiting to hear back about my practice samples.