Getting LOR from Dentist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sbesbesbe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there SDN!

I have a question on getting a LOR from a dentist from you experienced applicants.
I am shadowing a dentist right now until the end of Aug before going back to school.
I will be shadowing him for about 50+ hrs BUT I'm not applying until next year...
I can't shadow him during school years cause I'll be living on campus which is 2 hrs away from my house...

So my question is, should I ask for the LOR now?
OR should I wait and come back next year and ask for the LOR then?

I don't want to ask him 1 year later cause it's probably not going to be as good BUT if I ask for it now, it will be a year old by the time I apply.
what should I do?
Should I ask for the LOR and have him write the date for next year?

Share your experience if you had similar situation which I'm sure many of you had.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I had a similar situation because I work and go to school full time so I can't shadow much during the school year. What I did was last summer when I was going weekly asked him if he would be comfortable writing me a LOR when I apply the following year. He said yes. Well when school got out this year I personally went up to the office and spoke with him about it. He agreed to write it and I started shadowing him again. It worked for me so it should work for you! Best of luck!