Getting many rejections. Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Turpulus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My MCAT score is: Physics 11, Verbal 10, Biology 15, and Essay Q
My GPA for Undergrad: BCPM: 3.43, AO: 3.74 Total: 3.62
For Graduate School: BCPM: 3.63, AO: 3.54, Total: 3.56

I am a non-traditional student because after graduate school I worked in pharmaceutical R&D for 4+ years. I've applied to 26 schools and I've only gotten 3 interview invitations and about 7 rejections so far. I'm assuming that all the other schools have finished sending all their interview invites for the year so I'm just waiting for the rest of the rejections to come in April. Some things that I thought might hurt me in my application was that I submitted most of my secondaries in late November which I realize is late. Also, I never took Physics II during undergrad, but I made it clear on all my secondaries that I will have completed Physics II before I matriculate. Could they be holding that against me? Any input that people could give would be great. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You're late
Your BCPM is low
There's nothing about EC.

What do you expect? And what difference is there if physics 2 is holding you back? Make the best out of your 3 interviews. It only takes 1 school to be a doctor.

I haven't heard anything about not having prereqs completed hurting people's chances. I wouldn't think that it would be a major factor that is holding you back. They can just accept you and make sure that you complete it before matriculating (acceptances are all conditional). Can't say much else w/o knowing your ECs and etc. Did you apply early?

Good luck on your 3 interviews!

Members don't see this ad :)
My MCAT score is: Physics 11, Verbal 10, Biology 15, and Essay Q
My GPA for Undergrad: BCPM: 3.43, AO: 3.74 Total: 3.62
For Graduate School: BCPM: 3.63, AO: 3.54, Total: 3.56

I am a non-traditional student because after graduate school I worked in pharmaceutical R&D for 4+ years. I've applied to 26 schools and I've only gotten 3 interview invitations and about 7 rejections so far. I'm assuming that all the other schools have finished sending all their interview invites for the year so I'm just waiting for the rest of the rejections to come in April. Some things that I thought might hurt me in my application was that I submitted most of my secondaries in late November which I realize is late. Also, I never took Physics II during undergrad, but I made it clear on all my secondaries that I will have completed Physics II before I matriculate. Could they be holding that against me? Any input that people could give would be great. Thanks!
Three interviews is pretty good for such a late application. Why is your uBCPM low? Do you continue to improve your application through the application season for the sake of update letters and the potential need for reapplication? Are your LORs sterling? Do you interview well? Did you apply to schools with appromzimately your Lizzy M score (aka, not top heavy)?

Thre are still interview spots and acceptances yet to be offered. Stay positive. But work to improve your situation.

You are taking Physics II now, right?

I'd say your graduate GPA is holding you back. LizzyM has mentioned that adcoms like to see at least a 3.7 for a competitive applicant.

I did apply late. My secondaries weren't completed until late November. I'm currently taking Physics II. My graduate BCPM was 3.63 That should be just fine, right? I was under the impression that they put the most emphasis on your most recent degree. I finished my undergrad in 2004 and I was essentially a completely different person back then. I obtained my B.S. from U of MIchigan and also an M.S. in Toxicology from U of Michigan, which is a fairly competitive school. For my extracurriculars, I wrote for the school newspaper for 2 years. I also served on the student government for 2 years. I also volunteered frequently at an inner city theater group. My recommendations should have been just fine. 2 of them came from my current employer. I also had 2 others, one from my master's thesis advisor and another form a professor I had in graduate school. I also recently took business classes so for schools that want a non-science recommendation, I had him write a recommendation. Any other input? I'm thinking the lateness is hurting me the most. If they just focus on my graduate GPA I should be ok right? I have an interview at UMDNJ NJMS, Wayne State, and Tufts. So there are pretty good schools offering me interviews. But then I'm getting rejected from a lot of less competitive schools like Oakland and Michigan State University. THoughts?

1) I was under the impression that they put the most emphasis on your most recent degree.

2) For my extracurriculars, I wrote for the school newspaper for 2 years. I also served on the student government for 2 years. I also volunteered frequently at an inner city theater group.

3) My recommendations should have been just fine. 2 of them came from my current employer. I also had 2 others, one from my master's thesis advisor and another form a professor I had in graduate school.

4) But then I'm getting rejected from a lot of less competitive schools like Oakland and Michigan State University. THoughts?
1) The policy at many schools is to judge you primarily by undergrad GPA (Wayne is not one of them). Grad-level grades are widely presumed to be inflated relative to undergrad. Where grad grades are considered, it is the BCPM that they look at.

2) You don't mention clinical experience. Did you have an activity where you engaged sick people directly? Do you have some physician shadowing (which is a passive observership)? Do you have any recent altruistic activity? Research? Leadership? Teaching? Hobbies and Artistic Endeavors?

3) Many schools require two letters from science faculty that taught you, but nontrads can sometimes get permission to make a substitution.

4) This could be related to any of the factors mentioned above, eg, if you don't have activities that match the mission of the school, didn't submit the appropriate LORs, stats too low (I doubt this is a factor for the schools you mentioned, as your excellent MCAT should compensate for the lower uBCPM).

Late application kills chances, but it's not impossible to get an acceptance, nail your 3 interviews and hope for best. I was verified late October and have one acceptance and am waiting on the results from a second interview, there is still hope!