Getting married during dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JRod17

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
G'day,

I have a question regarding marriage in dental school. Quick background: I am applying for entry in fall of 2015 and currently have one interview scheduled, hopefully more soon! I am planning on proposing to my girlfriend in the next couple of months, however, due to one of her commitments we can't get married until after Aug 20 of next year when I will hopefully be in the heart of my first year of school. I realize a weekend wedding will be quick, as in get married Saturday and back to school Monday. I guess I am asking about setting a date. Are there many weekend commitments to dental school (besides studying) that I wouldn't be able to miss, even for my own wedding? Any advice on marriage in dental school, family life in school, etc. is also appreciated. Thank you guys!

Members don't see this ad.

There isn't much for weekend commitments. At least not at Iowa. My cousin got married during his fourth year and was back to school on Monday. Definitely possible.

As for being married in dental school, I think it actually helps your dental school experience. I've been married for two years and am just starting my second year next week. My wife and I share chores around the apartment and when I'm really swamped she picked up the slack. She also does the cooking which is great. Not that all relationships work like that though. She is an elementary teacher and has some free time in the afternoon.

All that being said, we don't get to spend as much time together as I would like. Really busy weeks we get to eat dinner together and then we have some time before going to bed. I will try to take one full day off on the weekend or at least half a day if we don't have any big tests. It was a big transition for us but we made it work.

Air Force HPSP Recipient
Dental Student Class of 2017

http://dentalstudentdds.wordpress.com

Why not use any of your breaks? Christmas, Thanksgiving, we have a 4 day fall break, spring break, whatever summer break you have (4 days for us ). Doing it early in your school year would suck as there are many socials and class gatherings at most schools. You would basically not go to any of those and I don't know what your girlfriend does, but it would suck dealing with wedding stuff at that time of the year on top of all your paperwork, classwork, white coat ceremonies, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
I proposed to my girlfriend on December 3rd of 2013, the day after I found out I was accepted. We plan on getting married after she finishes hygiene school (in 2 years).

Reactions: 1 user
Why not use any of your breaks? Christmas, Thanksgiving, we have a 4 day fall break, spring break, whatever summer break you have (4 days for us ). Doing it early in your school year would suck as there are many socials and class gatherings at most schools. You would basically not go to any of those and I don't know what your girlfriend does, but it would suck dealing with wedding stuff at that time of the year on top of all your paperwork, classwork, white coat ceremonies, etc.

We probably will. I'm just looking at the options and seeing if it would be possible. A fall break wedding would be perfect. Guess we'll see!

You can totally do it. I would say that about 40% of my class was married/engaged when we started dental school, and as we are all now 4th years, that number has steadily risen to about 60%. The people who are married, especially those with children, seem to handle stress better and are more "settled" so to speak. I dunno, just my observation. We have even had a few women in my class have children in the past year. Of the people who got hitched in my class, 2 did it during the brief summer between D3 and D4. 2 will be doing it during Christmas Break. Another did it over Spring Break last year, I guess for honeymooning purposes. Anyway, regardless of how you decide to approach it, it can be done!
Congrats in advance :)

First off, your friends (that you still have left after ignoring them all D1) will hate you even more if you choose one of the following weekends:

September 6th
September 13th
September 20th
September 27th
October 4th
October 11th
October 18th
November 1st
November 8th
November 15th
November 27th

That really only leaves you with:
October 25th
November 22nd

So my question to you is, would you loose more friends picking when mississippi knocks LSU off the podium, or when Oklahoma State upsets Baylor's "perfect" season?

Personally, I would have already defriended you for even considering a Fall wedding, but that is just me.

Reactions: 1 user
First off, your friends (that you still have left after ignoring them all D1) will hate you even more if you choose one of the following weekends:

September 6th
September 13th
September 20th
September 27th
October 4th
October 11th
October 18th
November 1st
November 8th
November 15th
November 27th

October 25th
November 22nd

So my question to you is, would you loose more friends picking when mississippi knocks LSU off the podium, or when Oklahoma State upsets Baylor's "perfect" season?

Personally, I would have already defriended you for even considering a Fall wedding, but that is just me.

Ouch....

Wedding stuff sounds tough...

September 6th
September 13th
September 20th
September 27th
October 4th
October 11th
October 18th
November 1st
November 8th
November 15th
November 27th

October 25th
November 22nd

This guy knows his stuff. Fall weddings are a no-go in Texas.

The fiancee and I will marry next May before her application goes in. Maybe you all will be classmates, Baylor is her #1.

Jeez this is quite scary. You guys are talking about marriage. How old are all of you? I wonder what it feels like for the youngins who see their classmates get married...

We're both 25, 26 when we marry.

September 6th
September 13th
September 20th
September 27th
October 4th
October 11th
October 18th
November 1st
November 8th
November 15th
November 27th

October 25th
November 22nd

You are a true Ag brother! Trust me, it hurts to know that I could possibly be missing an extremely important game. Especially after our showing this weekend at SC. BUT... My future wife transcends Aggie football. Never thought I'd say those words... but its true.

My Aggie wife and I have a mutual Ag friend (actually a dentist), that married his Ag bride on November 9th, 2002, the weekend that we ruined oklahoma's bid for the National Championship.

I have a reminder in my phone to call and wish them both a Happy Anniversary of the First Time an Un-ranked Aggie Team beat a Number One Ranked Team. And let them know that I missed that game.

G'day,

I have a question regarding marriage in dental school. Quick background: I am applying for entry in fall of 2015 and currently have one interview scheduled, hopefully more soon! I am planning on proposing to my girlfriend in the next couple of months, however, due to one of her commitments we can't get married until after Aug 20 of next year when I will hopefully be in the heart of my first year of school. I realize a weekend wedding will be quick, as in get married Saturday and back to school Monday. I guess I am asking about setting a date. Are there many weekend commitments to dental school (besides studying) that I wouldn't be able to miss, even for my own wedding? Any advice on marriage in dental school, family life in school, etc. is also appreciated. Thank you guys!

Been in school for a month now.

A girl in my class (22, her and her BF were together since HS) got married the weekend before orientation I think. Or very very close to orientation. I think they are waiting to do a honeymoon. She did say it was crazy hectic because everything was coming up so fast, but she is glad she did.

For weekend commitments, I wouldn't say there are "mandatory" things. But working in lab to refine hand skills is always a good idea, and the down time for that would be on weekends (when you are not studying.) I have already been to school on the weekends 4 times already, 4+ hours at a time working on projects or practicing for basic skills.

Also, if you plan to be active in school (ie joining an organization) some events will be on weekends, or weeknights (ie runs/walks, dinners, social events, etc)

Sidenote: I am also married, recently. 6 months (hitting 7 almost) but I am living away from my husband. SO that is a whole different situation to deal with.

I am sure that you and your GF will be able to work things out even if you decide on a Aug-right-before-school-starts wedding!

Good luck :)

First of all, congrats!
Second, we had a ton of people in our class (myself included) get married during school - mostly it centered around breaks though. It led to a bunch of our classmates having anniversaries lumped around the same time of year - end of spring semester, end of summer semester, spring break - which was kind of fun. The longer you're in school, the shorter and few in between your breaks get, so I remember going to two different classmates' weddings on the same day one summer.