Getting my feet wet and seek for suggestion from everyone.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

teefdocta

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As I'm entering my junior year in undergrad study, I'm having this whole nerve wrecking about what to do for the next 6 months overhead before the new cycle begins. To cut it short here comes my stat and intended schools list
My GPA stay somewhat around ~4.0. Because my college transcript listed mine as 3.98 with 2 A- ( excluded my other 2 A+ which stand for 4.0 instead of 4.33), but after transfer my GPA for the last 2 semester were 4.11. Anyway
Gen chem 1: A+
Gen chem 2: A
O chem 1: A
O chem 2: A
Molecular cell bio ( bio 1): A+
Genetics ( bio2 ): A
Fundamental biochem and o chem : A
Biochem: A+
A&P 1: A
Stat: A
Physic 1&2: both A
Precal: A- , Cal 1&2: both A.

Extra curriculums: I have very little shadowing hours since I have another job to do for the weekends and it takes all the free time to devote for the shadowing and volunteering. Beside that, I was tutoring chemistry for 1.5 years. To make up the volunteering and clinical experience, starting this spring semester I'll try to have more hours and such, hopefully I'll make it close to where I should stand for most schools ( and enlighten me with some affordable numbers please :) ).
I'm also planning to take the DAT somewhere during June-July summer '15. And of course thing spring semester will have a lot to do with 22 units and my DAT studying ( always hope for the best though).
Forget to mention that I'm international student and the facts tell me that I would be looking at more disadvantage when applying compared to all you resident folks.
Here is the school list, if anyone could help me to pick from them. My ideal number would runs between 15-18.( i know its alot, but well I doubt myself for this).
University of Pacific
Western University
Loma Linda ( i'm not sure about this, because I'm lacking that strong religious thingy)
NOVA florida
University of Kentucky
Boston University
TUFFS
University of Michigan
Creighton
NYU
Temple
University of Pennsylvania
Detroit Mercy
U o Pitt
University of Minnesota
Ohio state University
CASE
Roseman
Midwestern AZ
Howard
Columbia.

Feel free to comment :). Thanks alot guys!

Members don't see this ad.

If you're planning on applying next cycle, I would definitely recommend that you take your DAT before or at the beginning of June, latest. Especially if you want to be in before the first batch is mailed out. I'm sure you know that your grades are alright. You don't need anyone to tell you that.

I'm not sure what you're nerve-wracked about. Is it the upcoming quarter/semester, and you want to know what classes you should take? Or is it regarding your community service? Shadowing?

You have a great GPA, but no one will be able to chance you until after you get your DAT scores. Also, don't rely too heavily on your stats alone. Without a good amount of shadowing and ECs, you'll have nothing to talk about in your PS/interview other than being a smart student. My advice to you is get ready for the DAT, get as much shadowing in as you can, and do some community service work.

Last edited:
I personally would lower your credits your taking and put the focus for studying for the DAT and shadowing/volunteering. Aiming to take the DAT in May and apply in June.

That's what I'm doing at least!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you all. That one thing that I'm afraid of is maintaining that same load of course work and being able to aim for more shadowing/ ECs at the same time. Because if I'm not really keep up with all this I won't be graduating on time by the next matriculation. I seriously have more than 35 units of upper level devision class to qualified for my BS in Biology. As for the DAT, I hope to take it in late June as thr latest. :(

Thank you @Danielqta , @NilocDent , @BYU4you . For this year's cycle, two of my friends took their DAT considered a bit late than your ideal dates which fall between Early July and August, they still got a decent amount of interview from their school choices. Is it really matter to take the DAT before the application process starts though?
And for shadowing/ community services, is 4-6 hours a week seem to be reasonable until June next year if i start everything on Jan?

Thank you @Danielqta , @NilocDent , @BYU4you . For this year's cycle, two of my friends took their DAT considered a bit late than your ideal dates which fall between Early July and August, they still got a decent amount of interview from their school choices. Is it really matter to take the DAT before the application process starts though?
And for shadowing/ community services, is 4-6 hours a week seem to be reasonable until June next year if i start everything on Jan?
Youll see more than a few people having the "too high of grades for an interview problem." With a 4.0 some schools with lower entry stats may not give you an interview because they assume you'll go somewhere else, just something to think about.

I say this because I took my DAT on June 25th and wish I had taken it a little earlier. I got two pre-December interviews, but a couple schools didn't get to my batch number because they started their interviewing process later than everyone elses. I did get a post-December interview, but I am pretty set on one of the schools I was accepted to. But I digress. I recommend taking it early so you don't end up in the same dilemma I was in.

If you start in January, you'll be looking at maybe 24 weeks? So you're thinking 96 - 144 hours? It's definitely doable, but if you have a busy schedule, it's easy to put it aside to study more. So if you have the goal of getting ~100 hours, that seems like a good plan. However, you're going to have to stay pretty diligent on it.

Youll see more than a few people having the "too high of grades for an interview problem." With a 4.0 some schools with lower entry stats may not give you an interview because they assume you'll go somewhere else, just something to think about.

This sounds like speculation at best...I really doubt schools are turning down applicants for having GPA's that are "too high".

Reactions: 1 user
This sounds like speculation at best...I really doubt schools are turning down applicants for having GPA's that are "too high".

Sounds crazy but it happens. Especially if the applicant doesn't seem to be a good fit at the school.

I have a friend who was rejected after interview from her state school with a 3.8 and 28 AA because "She'll get in somewhere".

It seems like most dental schools are looking for more than just numbers.

I've followed plenty of posts on here for a long time of the 4.0 GPA and 25+ DAT scores with no acceptances. It's no urban legend. I doubt schools explicitly state that they do it because they don't mind getting 80 bucks an app.

I've followed plenty of posts on here for a long time of the 4.0 GPA and 25+ DAT scores with no acceptances. It's no urban legend. I doubt schools explicitly state that they do it because they don't mind getting 80 bucks an app.

And why would the assumption be that they were rejected for having too high of a GPA/DAT and not simply because they were deficient in some other aspect of their application, or interviewing skills?

Dental schools have things like waitlists and a rolling, on-going admission cycle that enable them to offer the first round of seats to the candidates they consider the strongest, but still fill those seats even if those acceptances are turned down. To pre-reject a candidate for being too strong academically under the assumption they wouldn't attend when that offer of acceptance can still be given to other students afterward is illogical and seems highly unlikely.

There is no evidence that such a thing exists, but it does make for a good story for those with 4.0/30 that have a difficult time getting an acceptance.

There is no evidence that such a thing exists, but it does make for a good story for those with 4.0/30 that have a difficult time getting an acceptance.
But is it illogical to think that schools investing time and money screening upwards of 3000 applicants for a few hundred interview spots are going to look at someone with the 4.0/30 applying to 20 schools and not consider them to be the best fit for their program because they feel they're being looked at as a safety school? So many private schools trend toward high number of applicants/lower GPA admitted compared to state schools, it doesn't seem absurd to think these ADCOMS interview accordingly. I've always been told to apply at schools that match my grades for the best chance, no reason that over/undershooting doesn't exist.

Or I'm hugely over thinking this.......

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
But is it illogical to think that schools investing time and money screening upwards of 3000 applicants for a few hundred interview spots are going to look at someone with the 4.0/30 applying to 20 schools and not consider them to be the best fit for their program because they feel they're being looked at as a safety school? So many private schools trend toward high number of applicants/lower GPA admitted compared to state schools, it doesn't seem absurd to think these ADCOMS interview accordingly.
The average applicant has roughly 10 applications and although numbers are not available, it is possible that those with 4.0/30 are applying to less rather than more schools than the average. Spock might suggest that it is "illogical", but even he would agree that the "time and money" for screening 3K applicants is well rewarded. Using a system of anyone's choosing, it would not be a great effort to bring the number of applicants to a manageable number. Moreover, there may well be other extenuating circumstances (family, friends, etc. climate) prompting the high achievers to apply to "safety schools".

And why would the assumption be that they were rejected for having too high of a GPA/DAT and not simply because they were deficient in some other aspect of their application, or interviewing skills?

Dental schools have things like waitlists and a rolling, on-going admission cycle that enable them to offer the first round of seats to the candidates they consider the strongest, but still fill those seats even if those acceptances are turned down. To pre-reject a candidate for being too strong academically under the assumption they wouldn't attend when that offer of acceptance can still be given to other students afterward is illogical and seems highly unlikely.

That's the point. But I think you're missing it.

People tend to think that strong GPA and DAT are strictly correlated with better chances of getting in. Which is true until a certain point and thats where character, motivation, etc comes in.

Dental schools dont need people who can take the DAT and exams well, they need someone who will be a good dentist.

So guys, from what being said, I should get at least some Bs here and there in the future ? -.-. Another different fact that might chance me different than others "too competitive" applicants is that I would be considered to be international which is neither instate or oos :(. Well, i'm getting more scared about the GPA myth that you guys talk about :(

wait... if you're entering your junior year in undergrad wouldn't you not apply till spring 2016? Are you a junior currently or will you be a junior 2015-2016?

So guys, from what being said, I should get at least some Bs here and there in the future ? -.-. Another different fact that might chance me different than others "too competitive" applicants is that I would be considered to be international which is neither instate or oos :(. Well, i'm getting more scared about the GPA myth that you guys talk about :(
I have a 3.9 GPA and got interviews at 7 schools, went to 6 interviews, and got accepted to 5. Don't get B's just to avoid the "GPA myth". Just don't have a perfect 4.0 with no personality and no extracurriculars. Plus for school like Columbia you'll want that higher GPA

Yeah, definitely maintain your GPA! I'm just saying work on the other stuff so that you're not simply a person with a high GPA by the time the cycle begins.

I thought I was a strong candidate and also for financial reasons, I applied to only 6 schools (UF, Nova, lecom, Kentucky, Louisville, Case). I never heard back from kentucky and louisville for interview invitations (I got a few emails from them after December 1st saying they already have their candidate list filled up and good luck next year). I got pre-Dec interviews from UF and Case. An interview on Dec 11th for Lecom. And a Nova interview on Jan 21st.

Here are my stats
sGPA = 3.95/ oGPA = 3.94 w/o +/-

DAT
20 BIO/ 22 GC/ 24 OC/ 20 RC/ 20 QR/ 20 PAT so 21TS and 21AA

I also have around 150 hours of shadowing, 140 hours of volunteering, 40 hours of research.

During my interviews, they told me my stats are under their average. So I think that might be one of the reasons why Louisville and Kentucky didn't invite me for interview.

But you know what, I got into UF (state school) and Case on December 1st so I think I'm very lucky they considered me. So my point is, keep up the good GPA, you never know when it will help ;), but also find some time for more shadowing and volunteering, I had a group interview at lecom and man, you need to have a lot to say or you will feel embarrassed to talk because other people have a lot more to say....

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-12-16 at 11.03.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-12-16 at 11.03.04 PM.png
    119 KB · Views: 40
I thought I was a strong candidate and also for financial reasons, I applied to only 6 schools (UF, Nova, lecom, Kentucky, Louisville, Case). I never heard back from kentucky and louisville for interview invitations (I got a few emails from them after December 1st saying they already have their candidate list filled up and good luck next year). I got pre-Dec interviews from UF and Case. An interview on Dec 11th for Lecom. And a Nova interview on Jan 21st.

Here are my stats

DAT

I also have around 150 hours of shadowing, 140 hours of volunteering, 40 hours of research.

During my interviews, they told me my stats are under their average. So I think that might be one of the reasons why Louisville and Kentucky didn't invite me for interview.

But you know what, I got into UF (state school) and Case on December 1st so I think I'm very lucky they considered me. So my point is, keep up the good GPA, you never know when it will help ;), but also find some time for more shadowing and volunteering, I had a group interview at lecom and man, you need to have a lot to say or you will feel embarrassed to talk because other people have a lot more to say....

who in the world told you your stats were under their average?!

wait... if you're entering your junior year in undergrad wouldn't you not apply till spring 2016? Are you a junior currently or will you be a junior 2015-2016?
Spring 15 will be my 2nd semester of junior. I've slacking with all the curriculum to finish the BS degree as I went really light for my first two years with only 12 units/semester. Im looking for graduating after 4.5 years of studying, but in order to do that I have to keep up with 18-22 units for the last 3 semester and some classes here and there durjng summer. Definitely I need to aim for more EC and those shadowing hours. Thank you all for wrapping this up, I'm more than ready for this upcoming 6 months and again I'm appreciate all your wise words. Congrats on thosewho got accepted and good luck on your bright futures becoming one of them dentist :D

Spring 15 will be my 2nd semester of junior. I've slacking with all the curriculum to finish the BS degree as I went really light for my first two years with only 12 units/semester. Im looking for graduating after 4.5 years of studying, but in order to do that I have to keep up with 18-22 units for the last 3 semester and some classes here and there durjng summer. Definitely I need to aim for more EC and those shadowing hours. Thank you all for wrapping this up, I'm more than ready for this upcoming 6 months and again I'm appreciate all your wise words. Congrats on thosewho got accepted and good luck on your bright futures becoming one of them dentist :D
ouch that'll be a rough course load.. but you can do it! Definitely take the DAT earlier like... May or June if possible. You can always take a gap year if you need more time to study for the DAT also since you're taking such a busy schedule. As a side note I would eliminate University of Kentucky from your list unless you're from a state directly near Kentucky, because they're pretty preferential to southern states. Good luck!! you can do it!

I say this because I took my DAT on June 25th and wish I had taken it a little earlier. I got two pre-December interviews, but a couple schools didn't get to my batch number because they started their interviewing process later than everyone elses. I did get a post-December interview, but I am pretty set on one of the schools I was accepted to. But I digress. I recommend taking it early so you don't end up in the same dilemma I was in.

If you start in January, you'll be looking at maybe 24 weeks? So you're thinking 96 - 144 hours? It's definitely doable, but if you have a busy schedule, it's easy to put it aside to study more. So if you have the goal of getting ~100 hours, that seems like a good plan. However, you're going to have to stay pretty diligent on it.

I took my dat the same day (june 25th), submitted my app mid july, and got all my rec letters in by early September. I applied to 6 schools, got 4 pre-December interviews (went to all), and 2 post December invites (declined both). I got accepted to the 4 schools I interviewed with (all 4 are on op's list). I have decently good stats, around a 3.6-3.7 gpa for both overall and science, got a 22 AA and 23 TS on the dat, but I shadowed with multiple dentists, had good ECs, play sports, and what not.

I guess what im saying is first, I don't think batch number is overly important compared to other things. Although it might help, there are definitely more important things, and I don't think submitting your app super early is worth not having the best resume possible. So if you need the months of june and july, and maybe even August, to get more shadowing hours, better EC's, and just improve your app in general, I think you should take your time and do what you need to do, rather than submit it the day the portal opens. Second, your gpa is fine!!! Well great rather, so spend your time improving other things. Even though As are better, a few Bs won't kill you, it lets them know you're human. Same thing with screwing around every once in while. I had 2 underage drinking charges and a fake I.D. charge in undergrad (all freshman year), and at two of my interviews, the interviewer brought them up, we laughed about them, and then they told me stories of them getting in trouble for drinking and mischief in college. Idk whether it helped or hurt me, but in my opinion, it shows there is more to you than just a 4.0 student who is buried in the stacks all the time.

You definitely have great grades, so just work on complementing them with your social skills and other important aspects that are required of a good dentist.

I do nails for living, lol and is that seems to be a good point to list my dexterity skill as being a manicurist? haha, beside my education :D

I took my dat the same day (june 25th), submitted my app mid july, and got all my rec letters in by early September. I applied to 6 schools, got 4 pre-December interviews (went to all), and 2 post December invites (declined both). I got accepted to the 4 schools I interviewed with (all 4 are on op's list). I have decently good stats, around a 3.6-3.7 gpa for both overall and science, got a 22 AA and 23 TS on the dat, but I shadowed with multiple dentists, had good ECs, play sports, and what not.

I guess what im saying is first, I don't think batch number is overly important compared to other things. Although it might help, there are definitely more important things, and I don't think submitting your app super early is worth not having the best resume possible. So if you need the months of june and july, and maybe even August, to get more shadowing hours, better EC's, and just improve your app in general, I think you should take your time and do what you need to do, rather than submit it the day the portal opens. Second, your gpa is fine!!! Well great rather, so spend your time improving other things. Even though As are better, a few Bs won't kill you, it lets them know you're human. Same thing with screwing around every once in while. I had 2 underage drinking charges and a fake I.D. charge in undergrad (all freshman year), and at two of my interviews, the interviewer brought them up, we laughed about them, and then they told me stories of them getting in trouble for drinking and mischief in college. Idk whether it helped or hurt me, but in my opinion, it shows there is more to you than just a 4.0 student who is buried in the stacks all the time.

You definitely have great grades, so just work on complementing them with your social skills and other important aspects that are required of a good dentist.
Well, it depends on where you applied to. I only applied to California schools for financial reasons, and my state schools go in batch order for the most part. I was the last batch to get interviewed for UCSF, thank goodness, and UCLA didn't start interviewing until Oct 1.

You're right though about not rushing things. I only had three weeks to prepare for the DAT because I left the country a couple days after. I definitely wish I had more time. But it is what it is. USC didn't go by batch order. And UNLV just gave interviews as they received applications.

Well, it depends on where you applied to. I only applied to California schools for financial reasons, and my state schools go in batch order for the most part. I was the last batch to get interviewed for UCSF, thank goodness, and UCLA didn't start interviewing until Oct 1.

You're right though about not rushing things. I only had three weeks to prepare for the DAT because I left the country a couple days after. I definitely wish I had more time. But it is what it is. USC didn't go by batch order. And UNLV just gave interviews as they received applications.
Are you vietnamese Daniel? lol i know this is random, but lol

Here are my stats

DAT

Are you getting in without obtaining a Bachelors degree?

Last edited:
Due to 94 credits in calculated grade and the assumption that most schools require 132 credits for a degree. 94+16(Fall)+16(Spring)=126 with regular course load. I'll graduate with about 150 credits due to post secondary in high school so I was thrown off since I had that many credits in my sophomore year of undergrad. Anyway good for you Greyangel6! Glad you got in and don't have to worry anymore!!

Due to 94 credits in calculated grade and the assumption that most schools require 132 credits for a degree. 94+16(Fall)+16(Spring)=126 with regular course load. I'll graduate with about 150 credits due to post secondary in high school so I was thrown off since I had that many credits in my sophomore year of undergrad. Anyway good for you Greyangel6! Glad you got in and don't have to worry anymore!!

Oh that's because I still have not updated my 14 hours for fall + 15 hours for spring and 5 hours for summer. My BS requires 120 hours minimum. I got the fast track of doing APs and DE courses during high school (basically I do not have to take any English, Math or foreign language classes in college)

Reactions: 1 users