Getting rejected at an interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
N

NP545

Is there something you can say or do that the interviewer is waiting for so they can toss your app?
Are they waiting for a certain flaw or incorrect response to slip out so they can finish you?

Members don't see this ad.

I've never heard of them rejecting you during an interview. It's always after you go home as far as I know.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm just a pre-med like you, haven't gone to any med school interviews, but from what I've read on here I don't think adcoms are as malicious as you think :laugh: I don't think they sit and wait for you to say something stupid so they can toss you out into the street. You'd have to mess up REAL hard to get rejected AT the interview I think. Like call the adcom's wife a hooker or get caught trying to set the room on fire or something.

Just relax man, if you're qualified and ready for med school adcom's will be able to tell and you'll get accepted.

Reactions: 2 users
Watch out for morals and honesty questions. Things like "What would you do if you caught someone cheating?"
but you should answer it honestly, regardless.... if you lie about a question referring to your morals (or any question for that matter), i'm pretty sure that's a no no lol.

I really clicked with one of my interviewers and at one point he told me a bit about the red flags in past candidates. He said that when asked about why he hadn't shadowed any doctors one guy flippantly said he didn't have time for it, he was too busy. We all know that there's definitely a threshold in what you can get from shadowing but to not even care to do it rubbed the interviewer the wrong way. Like, if this is supposedly what you want to do for life don't you want to even see what it's like for a bit, up-close and personal? I don't know if the guy definitely got rejected but from the interviewer's story/reaction it seemed like that was the start of a bad interview write-up. Apparently that guy was also a 4.0/45 type candidate so I can see where he probably spent his time (read: books) but still, be tactful. I'm not sure if the shadowing thing or if other faux-pas occurred at other interviews but this was also a re-applicant. The interviewer said that before the guy came in he was a little puzzled by the stats and re-applicant status but that it was clear why after the interview.

He also mentioned that another candidate answered everything with "yes" or "no" or a really short response. While that didn't seem to be as much of an auto-reject, he found it very odd and I'm sure it didn't give him much to go on when he had to do the write-up.

Calling the interviewer a ******

Reactions: 3 users
Interview musts:
No BO / bad breath and no heavy perfume.
Suits and ties and dress shoes. Professional dress only! No casual dress, no prom wear.
Have a firm handshake, not limp, not crushing either - firm.
Smile with those clean teeth - don't eat Oreos just before the interview. I suggest interviewing on an empty stomach
Do make eye contact, but don't drill in to their eyes. 3 seconds at a stretch shows interest, 5 to 6 is too intimate. Break it up.
Do use your hands to talk, but no wild gestures.
Do relax, but keep good posture. Face the team. Cross your legs below the knee, and let them see both hands at the same time. Never hide your hands and keep the palms up when you can. No scratching or picking.
Do speak in complete sentences, use inflection, show positive emotion, match the volume of the interviewer.
Repeat their questions, and give them the info they ask, but only what they ask - don't use the interview as a confessional, a gripe session, or wander off subject.
Don't use profanity.
Be sober and some caffeine is OK, but 5 espressos won't help much. If you smoke, stop 2-3 hours before, and chew gum before but not during the interview.
Be hydrated and do a potty check 1/2 hour before your interview.
Be positive about your abilities and experiences. Minimize negativity.
Practice interviewing. Your school counselor might be able to help here.

Worst scenario here is that you don't gain any ground, best scenario - you get accepted.

Reactions: 10 users
Is there something you can say or do that the interviewer is waiting for so they can toss your app?
Are they waiting for a certain flaw or incorrect response to slip out so they can finish you?

There is only one scenario I can think of that would get you immediately rejected: If you physically attack your interviewer, you're out.

Reactions: 1 users
No one is going to officially reject you AT an interview. For one thing, the interviewer probably isn't going to have that kind of unilateral authority to speak for the entire committee. More importantly, the interviewer does not want to start a confrontation or argument. There's simply no need. "We are rejecting you" leads to "what?? Why?" while "Thank you for your time, we'll be reviewing your application shortly" leads to "Thanks!"

but you should answer it honestly, regardless.... if you lie about a question referring to your morals (or any question for that matter), i'm pretty sure that's a no no lol.
No I don't think you should always be 100% honest in that spot. I would never turn my friend in for cheating, never! But if I get asked that in an interview I won't say it like that.

Reactions: 1 user
Interview musts:
If you smoke, stop 2-3 hours before, and chew gum before but not during the interview.

I wonder if smelling like cigarettes would seriously compromise the interviewer's opinion of an applicant. At the hospital I work at, all employees are screened for nicotine and get fired if it comes up positive.

I wonder if smelling like cigarettes would seriously compromise the interviewer's opinion of an applicant. At the hospital I work at, all employees are screened for nicotine and get fired if it comes up positive.
I'm a nontrad, and worked as a corporate trainer prior to pursuing medicine. I conducted numerous interviews both for new hires and internal hires. Any strong odor, any, was always a deal breaker for me. I'm not the only one, cigs are bad, but booze breath and BO are worse. The nastiest smell ever though was one lady who reeked of cat urine. Go odor free have someone trusted sniff test you the day of....

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh I see what she's saying.

7882872_orig.jpg

This is the proper sitting position for interviews.

Reactions: 6 users
that seems/feels so awkward to me... or is it my horrible shoulder mobility?
Try this put both hands together on a desk, relaxed facing each other. Relaxed. Now roll the hands about 10 degree with the palm up. This posture shouldn't be to painful.
Just don't hide your hands. Keep them both in visual range of the adcom. That's the most important point.

Try this put both hands together on a desk, relaxed facing each other. Relaxed. Now roll the hands about 10 degree with the palm up. This posture shouldn't be to painful.
Just don't hide your hands. Keep them both in visual range of the adcom. That's the most important point.
it's not painful. just awkward. like i'm asking for money or i'm busy in worship.

i'll keep to just relaxed on each other on the table or slightly separated on the table.

Do many interviews really take place where the interviewer has a desk close enough to put his hands on it? I only had two interviews, both MMI, but they were all with me simply sitting in a chair in an open room.

Do many interviews really take place where the interviewer has a desk close enough to put his hands on it? I only had two interviews, both MMI, but they were all with me simply sitting in a chair in an open room.
All mine were over a table or a desk. Luck of the draw.

Baxt
it's not painful. just awkward. like i'm asking for money or i'm busy in worship.

i'll keep to just relaxed on each other on the table or slightly separated on the table.

Yes. Like your asking for something, or giving something up. If it's painful don't do it, but do let the interviewer see your hands. Palms slightly up gives the impression that your emotionally available and generous. Seeing both hands communicates honesty, you have nothing to hide - so to speak. Giving and taking is the exact object of the game and the impression you want to build.

I honestly can't picture (or find a picture of) what you're talking about. Everything I find is either palms facing each other with fingers interlaced, or palms facing mostly down, one hand on the other.

That both looks and feels extremely awkward. I've never seen someone sit like that at a desk, ever. Looks like when you have something gooey on your fingers and you're trying to avoid touching anything.

to show my potential as a surgeon i'm going to hold my arms up off of the table with palms facing up like i'm waiting to be gowned the whole interview.

may wear a trench coat the entire time as well, to simulate a surgical gown.

Reactions: 2 users
This isn't hard, and it conveys openness to your interviewer. It's subtle, and won't draw a comment, but it is a natural posture seen in people who are adjudged to be receptive and open, it is not challenging to the status of the interviewer. You never want to engage the primate doing the interviewing in a territorial dispute. When chimps approach each other palms up, it is body language that conveys cooperation and socialization. The position is primate for "let's work together and be on the same side....let's share food" things you want any adcom to feel when thinking about you as a candidate.

I should add this; it doesn't challenge your interviewer for status it confirms their status as superior to your own at that juncture. It elicits deep primate empathy as it is used by our fellow great apes when begging food or grooming.

Last edited:
Yeah.... I'm going to have to disagree with you. I've never seen that, ever, and I can't find a similar recommendation or even a picture of this posture anywhere online.

Keep your hands out of your pockets. Standing with your hands in your pockets may send several signals to those around you, probably none of them what you intend. Unless you are trying to look less confident, as if you are holding yourself back, you are bored, or you are hiding something, then take your hands out of your pockets.

Palm position. If someone offers you a handshake with their palm down, they are demonstrating their sense of dominance or authority. Likewise, a handshake or a significant-other’s hand-hold with the palm facing up indicates they are open and more submissive.

These both sound like good advice.

And using *hand gestures* with palms up is different than laying your hands on a desk with the palms facing up. I suspect you may have misunderstood some advice or teaching material at some point and this "palms up with hands on the desk" thing got incorporated into your list of suggestions.

Keep your hands out of your pockets. Standing with your hands in your pockets may send several signals to those around you, probably none of them what you intend. Unless you are trying to look less confident, as if you are holding yourself back, you are bored, or you are hiding something, then take your hands out of your pockets.
        • Palm position. If someone offers you a handshake with their palm down, they are demonstrating their sense of dominance or authority. Likewise, a handshake or a significant-other’s hand-hold with the palm facing up indicates they are open and more submissive.
        • These both sound like good advice.
"8. Palms up. Use hand gestures that keep your palms up, which indicate you are open and friendly. Gestures with palms down tell the interviewer that you may be dominant or aggressive."

I knew someone that said they helped doctors abroad and going out of their scope of practice as a pre-dentistry. I assume the same might happen for premed. They second they mentioned it in their interview, they were asked to leave.

Palm position. If someone offers you a handshake with their palm down, they are demonstrating their sense of dominance or authority. Likewise, a handshake or a significant-other’s hand-hold with the palm facing up indicates they are open and more submissive.

These both sound like good advice.

And using *hand gestures* with palms up is different than laying your hands on a desk with the palms facing up. I suspect you may have misunderstood some advice or teaching material at some point and this "palms up with hands on the desk" thing got incorporated into your list of suggestions.
30 is good too.. "Facial expressions. Your emotions are easily communicated via your facial expressions. If you are trying to communicate happiness, surprise, fear, anger, or any other emotion, learn what theface looks like while experiencing these emotions."

#2 on careeroverview says not to cross your arms or legs. We were actually taught that in my communications class, it's considered a "closed" body posture.

Most of mine were in a position that I could touch the desk if I so wanted. They are normally in faculty offices.

I think I'm just an idiot. Metallowhatever actually got paid to give this advice. What do I know.
Metallobetalactamase is the name of the enzyme product produced by one of the transmissible plasmids, this plasmid in question is one of several such nucleic acid collections that can be horizontally transferred between bacteria and confers multi drug antibiotic resistance in a wide range of gram negative Enterobacteriecea.

If I am getting paid for this it's news to me. How much? I could really use a couple of thousand!:laugh:

Lol my bad with the title.. I meant right after the interview as soon as you leave

I've written in these pages on how to bomb an interview. It actually takes some work to do so. Just one example. I asked a woman why she didn't have any volunteer experience. She replied that she was too busy working. Fair enough, some people have lives, but she copped an attitude while delivering this, and I just wrote down "reject". Babbling idiots also get the ax from me.

I've never heard of them rejecting you during an interview. It's always after you go home as far as I know.

It's never happened at my school, but if an interviewee came in stinking like an ashtray, then yes, I'd reject that person.

Last edited:
Metallobetalactamase is the name of the enzyme product produced by one of the transmissible plasmids, this plasmid in question is one of several such nucleic acid collections that can be horizontally transferred between bacteria and confers multi drug antibiotic resistance in a wide range of gram negative Enterobacteriecea.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-2942-1366673535-7.gif

Reactions: 6 users
Babbling idiots also get the ax from me.

Could you describe babbling idiots? Like people who don't know when to end talking about their application, are poorly articulate about it? What about sharing a story?

Could you describe babbling idiots? Like people who don't know when to end talking about their application, are poorly articulate about it? What about sharing a story?

Probably both of those first reasons. Sharing a story, assuming it is of appropriate topic and length, wouldn't justify a rejection.

Babbling idiot: "Like, you know, when, like, someone, you know, goes to , like, an emergency department, you know, because they are, like, sick."

Other grounds for denying admission: treat the staff or anyone on campus disrespectfully, expect the staff to be your servants (don't walk into the office like you are Miranda Priestly in The Devil Wears Prada), or put your feet on the Dean's desk (true story!).

Reactions: 4 users
or put your feet on the Dean's desk (true story!).

When I was talking to the dean at Mercer she said she had a student plop his feet up on her desk and address her by her first name.

She said she doesn't care what you call her after you are accepted, but addressing her by her first name so soon she was not keen on!

No I don't think you should always be 100% honest in that spot. I would never turn my friend in for cheating, never! But if I get asked that in an interview I won't say it like that.
If it were a friend, I'd tell them to knock it off as advice for them, to prevent future issues.
If it were a rando, I literally could not give less of a fuzzy duckling. No comments to anyone (unless asked or it comes up in normal flow of conversation). I'd probably have a scandalized gossip session with my friends later. Doesn't affect my future, the cheater is the one who is going to learn less than me and risks losing it all over a few points.
If it comes up in convo with the prof, I'd be honest about it, but I wouldn't volunteer any names. If they asked me point blank I'd inform them that I really don't feel comfortable getting someone in trouble, but I would suggest xyz in the future to limit any additional cheating. Most of my profs, though, would never ask someone something that put them on the spot like that. We'd have a rather veiled convo skirting around the issue and then policies would magically change next year. (I say this not from having had cheating discussions with my prof, but from discussing the frustrations of other profs policies/ teaching styles, or mentioning things which were not cheating, but definitely compromised the point of the assignment, e.g. 'oh yeah, everyone decided to do this because it lets you skip the hard part of the assignment'.)