PhD/PsyD Getting research experience without a lab?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LittleHans

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I really appreciate this opportunity to ask questions and get input from all of the knowledgeable people on this forum. I live on a small island and I have two options for clinical psych programs. One of which is Argosy. I have been reading this forum for days now, wish I would have seen it before I started the application process! So, I know the reputation that Argosy has and I have almost entirely ruled out attending there. The only reason I say almost entirely, is because my options for programs here are so limited.

My main question is about research experience. I have none. From reading this forum, I understand that is a major issue for me in that I will not be at all competitive without research experience. I have also read some suggestions on how to get some (volunteer at a lab, etc...). I plan to try that, but again, I'm not sure how successful I will be because of limited access due to my geographical location at present. So, how else can I get research experience that will at least fill out this gaping hole in my application? Can I write grants or something on my own over the next year? Can I try to do literature reviews or something on my own, or would these types of things not count as highly if I'm doing them without being supervised? I should have mentioned that I've already completed a masters degree and am not currently in school. Nor am I in the same state as where I completed my masters degree (so contacting former professors for research opportunities is not an option).

Mod note: Made this it's own thread.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Geogrpahic restriction is a death knell in this profession, as it is for many advanced professional careers. If you are not willing to change that, then there is pretty much nothing you can do.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I worried that might be the response. Thanks for taking the time!