Getting Research Opportunities as a Non-Trad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peudamour

"[I pledge] my life to the service of humanity"
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all!

I am wondering if anyone has ideas on how to get research as a non-traditional applicant. My major is in the humanities, and I've begun to take some science courses at my university. The problem is that it is hard enough getting research as a traditional applicant at a big university. I am hoping to take all of my MCAT courses by 2016 and apply for med school by then. The problem is that I may not have the time to develop relationships within the different science departments in time to get on a research project and get hours before I apply to medical school.

What are some ways that a non-traditional applicant can get into research of any kind whether at a university or any other place?

Members don't see this ad.

most universities have an actual research dept that is tasked with getting students into projects....does your school have one?

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I've tried looking for something like that, and since my university is a large one, I would expect that such a program would exist. If they do have such a program, they are hiding it well. I've also tried looking for opportunities at other universities and maybe even science institutions near the city where i live.

if you don't want to name your undergrad here, I'd suggest calling your student advisor, premed club or the pre-med dept.

Reactions: 1 user
if you don't want to name your undergrad here, I'd suggest calling your student advisor, premed club or the pre-med dept.

Probably my best bet. Thanks!

Look up faculty members, read up on their research, and email them asking if they need help with their projects! Also lurk their lab page if they have one..

Former philosophy major gone rogue (pre-med) here...
Does your university have an HHMI Science for Life program? I used a list with SFL mentors at my university to find research opportunities. The Center for Undergraduate Research here is not all the great (read: disorganized).
I usually have a return rate of about 15%, so I emailed out "cover letters" and CVs to about 20 different labs. Persistence is good... All you need is one "yes". Also, make sure to ask if they'd be willing to formally train you (if you're doing lab stuff particularly) and if they've done research with other students (particularly undergrads) before with good outcome (read: articles, conferences, posters). Look into offering to research for credit; that gets them to take you more seriously. It will probably help you carve out time in your schedule for lab too.
Hope this helps!
-B&F

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user