Getting the most out of studying and rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ibnrabah

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
First time poster on sdn. Currently a fourth year osteopathic medical student who is way off schedule (just started my fourth year in October). Have made a mess out of my med school and need guidance and mentoring. Currently still have to take the comlex CE and PE. I have been doing below average on rotations but passing.
how do I make the most of rotations. More specifically I am trying to obtain the necessary skills and knowledge, which has been a struggle for me to do. One of my classmates told me to see as many patients as possible and read uptodate to grow my knowledge base. I want to be able to use my study time to actually be of practical use when it comes to patient care etc. Any advice? How to retain what you read? What sources are good for clinically relevant knowledge?

Members don't see this ad.

Uptodate. See as many patients as possible.

Reactions: 1 user
If you still have to take the shelf exams, then you won't be able to only study clinically relevant knowledge. Generally, what I study for my shelfs and what I read up on for my rotations share very little in common. Example:
-Peds rotation = 90% URI's, well checks, and rashes
-Peds exam = C1 inhibitor deficiency, Tay-Sachs, Bruton's agammaglobulinemia, etc. etc.

If all you have left as far as standardized testing goes is the COMLEX Step 2 tests, then do what witzelsucht said and supplement with UWorld as you go along to develop your knowledge. Try and get UWorld (most important) and through Step Up to Medicine 2, Crush the Boards, or Master the Boards for Step 2 (one of them) before you take the board exam.

Reactions: 1 user