GH and hyperglycemia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beeitchness

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Page 329 of FA 2012: Acute manifestations of diabetes mellitus includes unopposed secretion of GH and epinephrine.

Page 328 under Acromegaly, it says increase in GH is normal in response to hypoglycemia, and that serum GH should suppress with oral glucose.
(also, Page 317 says secretion of GH inhibited by glucose too)

Why would hyperglycemia in diabetes cause unopposed GH secretion?

Edit: perhaps the 'stress' involved in acute DM overrides the inhibition by glucose?

Members don't see this ad.

I think its because your body can't use glucose as it is either insulin resistant or lacks insulin...so while you have glucose...its not in the cells. The body then kicks in its stress systems to try to increase glucose even though the person is already hyperglycemic. Its not so much the hyperglycemia thats the problem but rather the lack of glucose in cells. Not sure if this is accurate but it makese sense in my head...lol.

I think its because your body can't use glucose as it is either insulin resistant or lacks insulin...so while you have glucose...its not in the cells. The body then kicks in its stress systems to try to increase glucose even though the person is already hyperglycemic. Its not so much the hyperglycemia thats the problem but rather the lack of glucose in cells. Not sure if this is accurate but it makese sense in my head...lol.

yea this is right, the body thinks you have hypOglycemia so it releases epi and GH
(this is a really important concept that explains a lot of the body's reactions to diabetes)