Ghaemi's A First-Rate Madness?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrGachet

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ghaemi wrote a book entitled, A First-Rate Madness: Uncovering the Links Between Leadership and Mental Illness. anybody read it? I been considering picking it up but The New York Times gave it a scathing review, while Boston Globe gave it a positive review. I can't find a good book review aggregator site unfortunately. I do respect Ghaemi's work, both as scientist and philosopher not to mention physician, so I was surprised to read the first reviewer claiming that he did shoddy research for this work.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
He, on multiple occasions, violates the goldwater rule.

Also, I think he makes a lot of statements regarding the state of the science that makes it out to be definitive "its genetic" when its not. He also showed a clear bias towards liberal ideas as being brilliant, which is fine, but not objective. To then use his position to further those views is disgusting.

This should not be seen in any way as a work of science.

Ghaemi wrote a book entitled, A First-Rate Madness: Uncovering the Links Between Leadership and Mental Illness. anybody read it? I been considering picking it up but The New York Times gave it a scathing review, while Boston Globe gave it a positive review. I can't find a good book review aggregator site unfortunately. I do respect Ghaemi's work, both as scientist and philosopher not to mention physician, so I was surprised to read the first reviewer claiming that he did shoddy research for this work.
Im a fan of Ghaemi but hadn't heard abt this book. Thanks for the heads up