Ghana undergrad - chances at top 20 schools? 3.73/3.87 Orgo TA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Trayshawn

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
what ya think?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'd say very high chances, provided you continue shadowing and volunteering and the assumption of the 30+ becomes reality.

I see. Thats reassuring. Are there any particular top 20s that I should aim for in terms of likelihood of acceptance?

Also, another few questions. I will be going on a community service trip this summer. It will probably be right when Im finishing up my AMCAS. Should I mention it even though I'll have probably only been there a few days when I send it?

Or should I hold off on the sending the application and wait till I get back in late July so I can talk about it in my app?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I see. Thats reassuring. Are there any particular top 20s that I should aim for in terms of likelihood of acceptance?

Also, another few questions. I will be going on a community service trip to Botswana this summer. It will probably be right when Im finishing up my AMCAS. Should I mention it even though I'll have probably only been there a few days when I send it?

Or should I hold off on the sending the application and wait till I get back in late July so I can talk about it in my app?

And lastly, in my personal statement, should I even mention the once homeless, rough upbringing thing? Or should I just stick to the reasons why I want to become a physician?

Thanks!
Can't tell you if you're more likely at one over another, but I would apply broadly among them.

Yes, mention it and at least mention the tentative time you'll spend there.

If your upbringing had any form of influence as to why you want to become a doctor, it is essential to mention it.

What was your AAMC prac test score ranges? What are the lists of schools you plan to apply too?

Also, another few questions. I will be going on a community service trip to Botswana this summer. It will probably be right when Im finishing up my AMCAS. Should I mention it even though I'll have probably only been there a few days when I send it?

And lastly, in my personal statement, should I even mention the once homeless, rough upbringing thing? Or should I just stick to the reasons why I want to become a physician?

Thanks!
You can incorporate it, but don't talk about it in detail. Write about your strengths.

What was your AAMC prac test score ranges? What are the lists of schools you plan to apply too?

right now, I am planning on:

Hofstra
Mt. Sinai
Albert Einstein
NYU
SUNY Downstate
Columbia
Cornell

Harvard and Hopkins are hopefuls. I wasn't sure if I should even bother before since I'm below their GPA averages, but I think I will now.

My diagnostic was a 30 on AAMC test #3. Since then, I've been improving and scored a 34 on my most recent (although, these were Kaplan tests). I just started studying a month ago, so I think I can still improve. But I think at least a 30 is a reasonable expectation.

TriagePreMed said:
If your upbringing had any form of influence as to why you want to become a doctor, it is essential to mention it.
You can incorporate it, but don't talk about it in detail. Write about your strengths.
I see. But it didn't have alot to do with my path to medicine - atleast not directly. It had moreso to do with my appreciation of education and desire to improve things for my family.
But I think it could definitely add to the diversity of any class - just from the experiences I've had and things I've seen. Perhaps this should be how I tie it to medicine?

I see. But it didn't have alot to do with my path to medicine - atleast not directly. It had moreso to do with my appreciation of education and desire to improve things for my family.
But I think it could definitely add to the diversity of any class - just from the experiences I've had and things I've seen. Perhaps this should be how I tie it to medicine?
To me it sounds like it's part of the overall theme of how it got you into education and medicine, so I'd talk about it if it were my application.

right now, I am planning on:

Hofstra
Mt. Sinai
Albert Einstein
NYU
SUNY Downstate
Columbia
Cornell

Harvard and Hopkins are hopefuls. I wasn't sure if I should even bother before since I'm below their GPA averages, but I think I will now.

My diagnostic was a 30 on AAMC test #3. Since then, I've been improving and scored a 34 on my most recent (although, these were Kaplan tests). I just started studying a month ago, so I think I can still improve. But I think at least a 30 is a reasonable expectation.

That is great, just keeping building up your application but focus on studying for the MCAT. I believe you have a great shot if you score a 34+.
KEEP IT UP!

Thats great for you to come here and speak to people you do not know, and ask about your medical candidacy! This act will help you...and I think your chances are VERY good. Your GPA is very solid, and is that EC list...so, all I can say for your app is best of luck on your MCAT and study lots! Keep us updated here, thanks for your post.

I come from a very low income household and actually used to be homeless for a while. I don't know if this adds much to my application, but I say this because I've had to overcome a number of obstacles just to get to where I am now. This in addition to attending VERY bad schools, made me need to work that much harder.
The AMCAS application will ask if you consider yourself to be "disadvantaged." If you check 'yes,' you'll be given space to explain your childhood situations.

Also, I don't think that your GPA is going to hold you back at any of the schools you're aiming for. Your GPA may be slightly below their averages, but you're still a very competitive applicant, GPA-wise. Your chances at "top 20" schools will more likely depend on your MCAT score. Assuming you do well there, you have a very good shot :). The "top 20" schools are big on diversity and they also seem to really like prior teaching experience (which you have plenty of). Your research and volunteering ECs seem a little on the low side though if you apply this summer. Your application would be a lot stronger (EC-wise) if you applied at the end of your senior year imo. Either way, best of luck OP and rock the MCAT!

Edit: Noticed you didn't mention anything about recommenders in your post. Have you thought about which professors you're going to ask for your LoRs? The importance of having very supportive LoRs cannot be overemphasized if you're aiming for "top 20" schools imo.

Last edited:

Thanks!

a lot of them are very touchy. Your MCAT will decide everything. URMs with 30s (shoot for 32+) seem to go more to mid level state schools.

Also, I don't think that your GPA is going to hold you back at any of the schools you're aiming for. Your GPA may be slightly below their averages, but you're still a very competitive applicant, GPA-wise. Your chances at "top 20" schools will more likely depend on your MCAT score. Assuming you do well there, you have a very good shot :). The "top 20" schools are big on diversity and they also seem to really like prior teaching experience (which you have plenty of). Your research and volunteering ECs seem a little on the low side though if you apply this summer. Your application would be a lot stronger (EC-wise) if you applied at the end of your senior year imo. Either way, best of luck OP and rock the MCAT!

a lot of them are very touchy. Your MCAT will decide everything. URMs with 30s (shoot for 32+) seem to go more to mid level state schools.

Okay, so I got a 35 (14/9/12). GPA is 3.7 overall, 3.8 science. Since that was the main piece of info missing last time, I thought I'd bring it up again to see what you guys think.

Sorry for bringing such an old thread back up, but I saw no reason to make a whole new one.:)

Okay, so I got a 35 (14/9/12). GPA is 3.7 overall, 3.8 science. Since that was the main piece of info missing last time, I thought I'd bring it up again to see what you guys think.

Sorry for bringing such an old thread back up, but I saw no reason to make a whole new one.:)

With those numbers and considering you are a URM I am amazed that you did not get in last year.

It's no longer early in the MD cycle but you should still be able to get into at least one of those schools if you submit your application now (assuming there are no major immigration or language barriers). But the clock is ticking.