GI Bill during fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

teacherman84

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I remember reading here about people using their GI Bill benefits for fellowship or residency after separating. Any idea if this is possible during a deferred fellowship?

For example...3 years active duty residency after HPSP. I want to do a fellowship...options are:
1. in-service fellowship...move cross country for a year in a city I'm not thrilled to live in...add to my HPSP commitment
2. Sponsored fellowship...stay on active duty but add more time to my HPSP commitment
3. Deferred fellowship...no added commitment...but supporting a family of 5 on 55k/yr doesn't sound fun. With the GI bill adding onto that salary it becomes m a bit more palatable.
Is this possible or is it just for after separating from active duty?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I remember reading here about people using their GI Bill benefits for fellowship or residency after separating. Any idea if this is possible during a deferred fellowship?

For example...3 years active duty residency after HPSP. I want to do a fellowship...options are:
1. in-service fellowship...move cross country for a year in a city I'm not thrilled to live in...add to my HPSP commitment
2. Sponsored fellowship...stay on active duty but add more time to my HPSP commitment
3. Deferred fellowship...no added commitment...but supporting a family of 5 on 55k/yr doesn't sound fun. With the GI bill adding onto that salary it becomes m a bit more palatable.
Is this possible or is it just for after separating from active duty?

Thanks

Yes. My wife did it for her civilian deferred year for her fellowship while she was active duty. The GI bill she used gave her a BAH of about $2000/month based on where we were living. She also got about $1000/yr towards books and fees. You have to make sure that the institution you are going to is approved by the VA. The place my wife wasn't initially. She had them initiate some paperwork and they got the VA approval. Call the VA. Remember, there are a lot of knuckleheads who work there, so you may get false information because someone is incompetent or doesn't want to work. Just keep trying with another person if they are throwing up road blocks.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Add on question. Will the military cover fellowship application expenses for a deferred fellowship? Application fees? Travel? Ive heard you get permissive TDY for interviews. Anyone with any experience care to chime in.

Add on question. Will the military cover fellowship application expenses for a deferred fellowship? Application fees? Travel? Ive heard you get permissive TDY for interviews. Anyone with any experience care to chime in.

Probably not, but you can always try. I have to take leave for all of my interviews (couldn't even get permissive TDY), but I'm also getting out of the Army to do my fellowship. I almost never take leave, though, and consistently have a 60+ day leave balance, so it doesn't really matter too much. I really doubt that you could get other interview costs covered, but at least you can deduct them from taxes (came right of the top of my moonlighting income).

Sent from my SM-G920V using SDN mobile

I got no-cost TAD orders for my fellowship interviews. But that was after being selected for a FTOS spot at the GMESB. I'll still be on AD during fellowship. Although none of my costs were covered, I've heard it's possible to get interview travel funded.

I doubt even no-cost TAD would've been approved for me if I was getting out for fellowship - simply because a good argument could be made that it's job hunting. There's no benefit to the government to help you in your post-military job search.

I bet you could get no-cost TAD orders for a deferred fellowship. You'll be coming back on AD afterwards, and so it's clearly in the government's best interest that you match well. You should certainly request it.

I am doing it right now. I'm a resident in FM, just separated last year. It can be tricky if the program is not pre-approved. If you PM me your email I can send you a guide that someone sent me once. But, it can definitely work, don't forget to plus it up

So I got my top choce...I'll be deferred for a civilian fellowship. my top choice already has a VA rep so hopefully the gi bill thing goes easy.

Other questions. I'm applying to separate from AD. I'm guessing AF doesn't cover the cost of my move, correct? anyone know what happens with accrued leave when I leave active duty?
I'll have over 50 days I couldn't use in residency. does it wait until I get back on AD? I'll be IRR like when on HPSP and leave just paid out every time I left active duty.

You can sell leave back to the government. It's a lousy deal because all you get is base pay for the days, none of the allowances.

The military only pays for exit moves for retirees.

You can sell leave back to the government. It's a lousy deal because all you get is base pay for the days, none of the allowances.

The military only pays for exit moves for retirees.
So I can sell it back to get extra cash before going civ for a year, or I have to if I can't use it before separating?
I agree it's a bad deal, it's better to save it until I'm back on AD, but I don't want to lose it by not speaking up

So I can sell it back to get extra cash before going civ for a year, or I have to if I can't use it before separating?
I agree it's a bad deal, it's better to save it until I'm back on AD, but I don't want to lose it by not speaking up

Your only option is to either use it or sell it back. Being a resident your only practical option is to get cash for it. Once you separate and come back you start from scratch.