GI fellowship advice for Medical Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

miamimd07

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I've been reading the threads and they seem very helpful. I'm finishing up my 3rd year at medical school and I know right now that I want to go into GI. Being that it's such a competitive fellowship, I was hoping to get someadvice right now on how to get ahead of the game to help set myself apart when the time to apply approaches. Thus,I was wondering exactly what are the most important factors that GI fellowship directors take into account during interviews? Besides research, how important are Step 1, 2,and 3 scores? Letters of recommendation from medical school and/or residency? Are there specific exams you take during your internal medicine residency(other than the USLME) that are key? How important is the politics aspect so to say and making the right connections with the right people?
Your advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not in GI, but I can tell you that doing your IM residency in a place with a GI fellowship would definitely help.