GI & Hepatology fellowship programs Impressions 2014-2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adagio

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thread for interview impressions (city, program, questions during IV, etc). Hope @gutonc would pin it until the match season is over.
good luck everyone

Members don't see this ad.

Disclaimer: I have not had any interviews yet.

But just checking out programs I am surprised that there seems to be quite a bit of variation in academic programs between the amount of research/elective time in the 2nd and 3rd yrs. Compare Ohio state (4mn 2nd yr, 4mn 3rd yr) vs Burlington (6mn 1st yr, 6mn 2nd yr, 6+mn 3rd yr).

Of course fellowship is not residency, but I can't help be seduced by more freedom in scheduling, especially thinking about how little true elective time I have had so far in residency (3wk). I keep thinking about how much more research and personalized exposure I could have had in residency with a more flexible schedule. But with fellowship, particularly GI fellowship, does it really matter that much? Does more elective/research correlate with a higher 'quality' of fellowship-life?

My question for you guys is: How much weight are you giving differences in program scheduling re: time of elective and research.