GI match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zedssssssss

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, iam an intern,

im still trying to understand the fellowship match for GI, and I have some qs

#1, Iam a DO (at an academic acgme program),I have only completed COMLEX board scores, would not having USMLE1,2,3 look badly/at at disadvantage to those that did)?

#2,If i go with a 1yr chief year/1 yr fellowship- would by board score grades be part of the application for fellowships?-- or do programs only see pass/fail?

#3 I have several years of non-GI research pubs, i know they are not looked at negatively, BUT would 5 papers on renal cell carcinomas have any value to PDs?

#4 for those that also did AOA GI fellowships,how similar/different was it compared to the acgme apps

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

You may be getting crickets because really, every GI program operates somewhat differently. Only a PD could 100% accurately answer questions of "Will this help and how much will it help" and that PD could really only answer for his or her program specifically.

Hi, iam an intern,

im still trying to understand the fellowship match for GI, and I have some qs

#1, Iam a DO (at an academic acgme program),I have only completed COMLEX board scores, would not having USMLE1,2,3 look badly/at at disadvantage to those that did)?
Yes. Obviously. How much? Who knows. I reviewed apps in my (non-GI but somewhat competitive) fellowship for a few years. We had a 5 point scale that we used to rank applicants across 7 different areas. Our instructions for the Step Score area said we should give 1-5 points on USMLE Step 1 or 2 (whichever was lower) for <210, 210-22, 220-23, 230-240, >240. For those with COMLEX only were were told, "<400 = 1; 400-600 = 3, >600 = 5"

#2,If i go with a 1yr chief year/1 yr fellowship- would by board score grades be part of the application for fellowships?-- or do programs only see pass/fail?
Yes. Or no. More likely maybe...or maybe yes/no.

#3 I have several years of non-GI research pubs, i know they are not looked at negatively, BUT would 5 papers on renal cell carcinomas have any value to PDs?
It's better than nothing.

#4 for those that also did AOA GI fellowships,how similar/different was it compared to the acgme apps
[serious question]In 1-3 years, will there even be AOA fellowships?[/serious question]