Gift ideas for a new med student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

venturep

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a friend who is about to start medical school and was wondering what are some good gift ideas for a new med student? The best that I have come up with so far is a an HP iPaq. I'd appreciate it if you all could help me brainstorm some more useful gift ideas. Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

You could buy a book...Netter's Atlas of Human Anatomy would be a good start. Also a stethoscope is a popular choice...Littman is a top brand and would cost between $100-300 depending on the model. An I-Paq would be a good gift when this person starts the 3rd year of med school but is not as useful for a 1st year med student.

I love my MP3 player. Great for putting on some mellow study music .

You may want to think about getting stuff completely unrelated to medicine, as your friend will be spending huge amounts of time thinking about nothing but medical stuff. Taking a break now and then is very nice.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm with Adcadet.

Maybe something that will make his/her life easier: like a water boiler. It's the best thing that I got. It boils about 1.8 L of water in less than 2 minutes. Great for ramen/coffee/hot coco. There are other water boilers that keep water hot all day.

Originally posted by venturep
I have a friend who is about to start medical school and was wondering what are some good gift ideas for a new med student? The best that I have come up with so far is a an HP iPaq. I'd appreciate it if you all could help me brainstorm some more useful gift ideas. Thanks!!!

I would have loved a medical dictionary in my first year of medical school. Words that seem completely normal to us now - anastomosis - a first year sees that and thinks 'what the F*** is that?'. What's the difference between an embolus and a thrombus? etc.

A stethoscope would be a nice present but.... meh.

Parents of a friend of mine gave him "Harrisons principles of internal medicine" when he was in second year. I was envious (can you tell I'm a nerd?).

Another gift idea would be a skeleton set - I don't know if these are available in the US - ie. real bones of a person. I would have liked that present too.

Yet another book idea would be the book that helps you read ECGs* - not the Dubin one, the other one. I doubt it would be a required text like netter, so none of his buddies would have it... and I bet he'd feel cool when he actually understands those wobbles of lines when the rest of his class doesn't have a clue.

Do you have any idea what speciality he wants to be in? Even though we don't have a clue what medicine is about. 90% of entering med students KNOW they're going to be a heart/neuro surgeon etc. Another good idea might be.. a life size model of a heart.. brain... or his own addorned scalpel set (with a box and everything.. looks like the box for an expensive fountain pen).

Another idea might be a medical poster of some kind....

* A membership to a local gym?

* A nice pen

* A cappuccino maker

* Cowboy boots for two stepping