Gift Ideas for Recommendation Letter-Writers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PathoDVM

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all! So obviously we wouldn't get anywhere in the application process if our advisors and vets we worked for didn't write letters of recommendations for us. Can you guys think of any appropriate gifts to say thank you (especially for males)?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all! So obviously we wouldn't get anywhere in the application process if our advisors and vets we worked for didn't write letters of recommendations for us. Can you guys think of any appropriate gifts to say thank you (especially for males)?

I don't know if this is incredibly cheesy or not, but I am getting 3/4 of my letter writers a "college of veterinary medicine" t-shirt from the school I am attending and a reeaally long thank-you letter :D The 4th one isn't getting one because it's really not his style, and because he still repeatedly tells me there's still time to apply to medical school sooo no shirt for you!

Two of my letter writers are vets from the same clinic. So I got them a thank you card (addressed to everyone at the clinic....the techs and everyone helped me out a lot :) ) and put in a gift card to a restraunt they like to order lunch from frequently. It wasn't much, but I figured it was something I knew they could use.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mine is only a veterinary incentive program, but I just got to read the letter my vet wrote for me and think she totally deserves something for that!

I have no clue what though..

for my male DVM, i backed delicious cookies and gave him a starbucks gift card (2 things I noticed he really liked during my time there)

another one of my letter writers was thanked with dog treats. she was part of a humane society group in little southwest VA that sold dog treats as a way to make money (and she was more or less in charge), and was absolutely THRILLED to have so many more treats to sell :)

I've already given everyone who wrote letters for me thank-you notes. I was thinking about giving two of the people who have helped me out gifts if I get into veterinary school, but I haven't decided what to get them. I'm going to wait until I find out if I get in this year. :D If I don't get in this year, I'll wait until I am accepted (hopefully by next year) before I give them one. One is my adviser and the other is a veterinarian. In the past, I got them both souvenirs from a trip abroad. I have also baked desserts as a thank you to the clinic where I spent my time shadowing, and I will most likely do that again. I think homemade cookies make a great gift! ;)

I hand-wrote thank you cards and bought each person a bag of lindt truffles. They were a big hit! One of my teachers actually kept my card and keeps it in his office for the world to see. awww :)

Everyone who wrote me a letter this year was either on board last year or has written me a letter for each of my four application cycles over the last eight years (yes - these folks are amazingly supportive). Last year, I donated a swine to Heifer International in their names (and a couple of other vets/profs who have helped me along the way). Heifer sent me beautiful cards to give each one with an explanation of the donation/gift that had enough room for me to write each a personal thank you. Went over like hot cakes!

This year, if by some miracle, I do go - everyone will be getting some kind of trinket from OK State along with a thank you note. If I don't go, they'll of course still get thank you notes, but a different gift of sorts for helping me as this is the final time I am applying regardless of outcome.

I bought a box of Ferrero Rochers and a thank you card for all the staff

I mailed handwritten letters to all of mine (in cursive on personal stationary). Once I make my ultimate decision, I intend to buy stickers or some other small memorabilia from my school of choice and give that to them as well

My plan was to bake some homemade cookies. I've been told my cookies are to die for. That and I love to bake. Also I'm going to write really nice thank-you letters. I'm just waiting until I choose a school.

Just as another idea, I wrote my letters before I got into any schools just so they knew I was thankful whether I got in or not... just something to think about in case you need them again next year!

I sent my letter writers an assortment from Edible Arrangements. Worked out nicely :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Just as another idea, I wrote my letters before I got into any schools just so they knew I was thankful whether I got in or not... just something to think about in case you need them again next year!

Exactly what i did Emiloo. All my letter writers got letters this summer, some who have been especially helpful/active got a second letter over Christmas.

Exactly what i did Emiloo. All my letter writers got letters this summer, some who have been especially helpful/active got a second letter over Christmas.

Yeah I wrote them all thank yous for their willingness to write me the letters, and then when I got accepted I informed them of my acceptance as well. I am thinking about sending small gifts once I figure out where I'm going for sure. Like someone else said, you can't apply without these people's help so it is really important to be appreciative. I also made fudge and thank you cards for all the poor souls at work who had to work so much extra time to cover for me during my 4 interviews lol. I truly am grateful to all the awesome people who helped me get here..... now to figure out what to do for my AMAZING best friend who sent me good luck packages for every single interview, and traveled across the country because she "wanted to support me" for 2 of them :D :love:her!

Totally agree that no matter what happens, thank you notes are a must! While gifts are nice though, it may not always be professional. I would just consider that on a case by case basis. I'm really close to my advisor/boss so I am all for sending her memorabilia from my school of choice, but I would feel uncomfortable giving a gift to one of the docs who wrote me a letter. I feel confident that he will understand my gratitude from a handwritten note.

So I'm definitely going to be writing a nice letter to all of the clinics that I shadowed at. I spent time with all the vets at each place, so I want to write a letter addressing everyone.

My question is regarding addressing techs. I definitely need to; they began teaching me the technical (haha, get it?) skills and thought processes for clinic work. I'm worried that I don't remember all of their names, or that someone has left the clinic since I've been there. How should I go about getting everyones names? Would calling and asking what techs are there be inconsiderate?

I wrote them each a thank-you card and one purple and one gold (LSU!) tulip in a vase.

Of course, these were all females. They all live within about a 45 minute drive from me, so I hand delivered them. :)

So I'm definitely going to be writing a nice letter to all of the clinics that I shadowed at. I spent time with all the vets at each place, so I want to write a letter addressing everyone.

My question is regarding addressing techs. I definitely need to; they began teaching me the technical (haha, get it?) skills and thought processes for clinic work. I'm worried that I don't remember all of their names, or that someone has left the clinic since I've been there. How should I go about getting everyones names? Would calling and asking what techs are there be inconsiderate?

Call anonymously and ask.:cool: Or just send one big thank you addressed to all the technicians at the clinic????

Call anonymously and ask.:cool: Or just send one big thank you addressed to all the technicians at the clinic????

If I was a super-spy ninja and could get them to tell a stranger their staffing list, I totally would. :cool: I just don't think they'll give out that info willy-nilly.

And I thought about the "everyone" address, but I know how off-putting that feels. Whenever we get notes at the clinic I work at that say "To Dr. So-and-So and staff," I feel really unappreciated and left out.

Bah. I should just make a visit to everyone.

If I was a super-spy ninja and could get them to tell a stranger their staffing list, I totally would. :cool: I just don't think they'll give out that info willy-nilly.

And I thought about the "everyone" address, but I know how off-putting that feels. Whenever we get notes at the clinic I work at that say "To Dr. So-and-So and staff," I feel really unappreciated and left out.

Bah. I should just make a visit to everyone.

Or you can just tell them that you are a client that would like to personally thank them all and ask for their names. It's not like your asking for their SS#s or anything. I'm sure visiting would be very nice though!

I was originally going to buy bottles of wine, but decided it was too expensive and didn't know what varietal to get for each individual so I've opted to make spiced oil instead. For the clinics I am baking cupcakes and I've already crocheted baskets to put them in (everyone loves food!) of course personalized thank you cards for the evaluators themselves.

Bumping this thread. Any ideas for things more personal than a gift card and that can be shipped? Also, not associated with the school that you got into? Hmmmmmm

I made quick breads for many recommenders. I sent gift cards with nice notes to any out-of-staters.

I'm planning to send a heartfelt card and maybe an sbux gift card to the clinic that helped me most, since I'm not there anymore and haven't been in months. I used to make coffee runs for the emergency people when it was slow and I think they'll appreciate.

As for shippable things, if it weighs under 13 oz you can send almost any shape or size through the USPS. Google "happy mail"

One of the clinics I volunteer at has a dragon boat team so I might donate to their fundraising effort. Also considering a World Vision goat or similar. I'll probably take baked goods too!

I shadowed a few times at this one clinic and one of the veterinarians also wrote me a rec. One time I brought in doughnuts and after she wrote my rec I gave her a thank you card and made a whole batch of cookies and lemon bars for the clinic. You could always have something like this delivered to the clinic (flowers, cookies, etc.).

If you know well or can slightly-stalkerishly research your recommender, you can send them a book you know they will like via Amazon or something. For example, I sent one person the first mystery in a series they have not read but is similar in style to a series they really like, another person (whose research is all about desert plants and who loves the desert) a book of essays by famous writers about the deserts of the American Southwest, another person (who loves history and whose research is on invasive species) a book about how invasive commercially important fish shaped American history, and my advisor a book about hiking in the Grand Tetons, which is where she first started learning botany and decided to become a botanist.

Note that I am aware that most people consider this excessive effort to put into presents.:laugh:

Vet I want to get a gift for is a huge Bruce Springsteen fan. Should I go for something vet-themed or Bruce Springsteen themed?

I'm going to send a BarkBox to one of my writers. And a really heart-felt thank you letter!

Vet I want to get a gift for is a huge Bruce Springsteen fan. Should I go for something vet-themed or Bruce Springsteen themed?

I think if you can keep it professional while also making it personal then go for it! They probably have a lot of vet things and the Bruce Springsteen idea could show you really payed attention to who the vet is beyond just what their occupation is. They sound like they are fun to work with!

Reactions: 1 users