Gifts for letter writers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nick_carraway

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are any of you giving gifts to your letter writers after the Match? If so, what?

Members don't see this ad.

no. why would you give a gift to someone for doing their job? i can see giving a gift if they were not a part of any department at your institution (i.e a minister or a personal friend) but not a physician. this is an expected task.

no. why would you give a gift to someone for doing their job? i can see giving a gift if they were not a part of any department at your institution (i.e a minister or a personal friend) but not a physician. this is an expected task.

Yes, if they do a good job

Last edited:
And correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think writing LORs is in a physician's contract

Reactions: 1 users

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Didn't think about this until now. Not every rotation has Attending's that are employed by the school. I am applying for EM and 3 letters were slors. I don't feel a need to send a thank you to them because I already did after interviewing for their programs. I got another letter from an FP that was a community doc that took students. Maybe he got something from the university but it probably wasn't much. I got a few comments during interviews about that LOR and now want to send something small as a thank you. So OP's question is legitimate and now something I am wondering as well. Is there something small you can send a doc as a legitimate thank you?

Last edited:
Are any of you giving gifts to your letter writers after the Match? If so, what?

No, but I will update them on my Match results and thank them again.

I didn't give gifts to any letter writers when applying for college or med school, either. But I always kept them posted, and they seemed appreciative of that gesture.

Reactions: 1 user
No, but I will update them on my Match results and thank them again.

I didn't give gifts to any letter writers when applying for college or med school, either. But I always kept them posted, and they seemed appreciative of that gesture.
This.

Writing letters of recommendation is not "part of the job" but it's something I'm happy to do when asked (usually).

Gifts are absolutely not necessary but I do like to know how students do in the match and where they end up. Simple thank you is more than enough IMHO.

This.

Writing letters of recommendation is not "part of the job" but it's something I'm happy to do when asked (usually).

Gifts are absolutely not necessary but I do like to know how students do in the match and where they end up. Simple thank you is more than enough IMHO.
Thanks for your perspective! Like others said, I was going to write to my attendings after the match, but wanted to make sure it wasn't customary to add a small gift.

After my letter writers uploaded onto ERAS I sent them a thank you and Godiva truffles. During Halloween I was driving past their offices so I dropped off more Godiva. If I matched I'm thinking about wine this time around.

I go to a Caribbean school, and I'm more than thankful for any support I receive . And I would feel the same way if I went to a US school.

I plan on giving small, thoughtful gifts to my family members who have supported me through med school on match day, as they will also be attending my school's more formal match day festivities. (Planning the gifts is also a welcome distraction this weekend!)

I always thought about giving letter writers a gift but as a guy, I feel my options are limited to a handshake and a thank you.

Some of my letter writers are people who were also great mentors with whom I had more than just a cursory relationship. The letters they wrote for me were outstanding per report so I feel like I'd like to do a little more than a thank you email. I think if they were people I just happened to have a rotation with I'd feel differently about it. So far, someone's suggested Godiva chocolates--any other suggestions?

I ended up getting gifts for my mentors/writers that interviewers quoted during the trail & cards for the others. Brought back coffee and chocolate from my home state. I got beer too. On the fence about walking onto campus with the beer. Plus I might need them this coming week.

Last edited:
Let them know if you matched or not. If I were in academia, this would be more important than a trivial gift of some kind. In fact, if someone didn't match, I'd call them. If they did match, I'd call and congratulate them - and ask if they are having a pool party :)

I gave them 5 dollar coffee gift cards from the hospital coffee shop, after I made sure the letters were submitted ( so it didn't seem as if I was trying to sway the letter).

I personally gave my letter writers a gift. I did this in high school, undergrad, and med school. It is a nice gesture that makes them feel appreciated. It also helps to strengthen bridges that you've built--connections that you make now may pay off later. But mostly I do it because my letter writers have been kind to me and I want to be kind in return :)

I gave them 5 dollar coffee gift cards from the hospital coffee shop, after I made sure the letters were submitted ( so it didn't seem as if I was trying to sway the letter).

If you are going to give a gift card, make it for at least $30-60. If you are going to give "money" in any form then you want to make it "worth their while" because they will compare money with how much effort they put in. It's a weird psychological thing that people do when they get dollar amounts. On the other hand, you can give them a five dollar bag of coffee without looking cheap because, as a non-monetary gift, it seems less like an exchange and more like a simple gesture.

I know this sounds silly but somehow it seems to be true. Think about it yourself: if you helped someone move into a new house for three hours, would you feel more grateful for $5 in return or a five dollar box of chocolate?

I personally gave my letter writers a gift. I did this in high school, undergrad, and med school. It is a nice gesture that makes them feel appreciated. It also helps to strengthen bridges that you've built--connections that you make now may pay off later. But mostly I do it because my letter writers have been kind to me and I want to be kind in return :)

If you are going to give a gift card, make it for at least $30-60. If you are going to give "money" in any form then you want to make it "worth their while" because they will compare money with how much effort they put in. It's a weird psychological thing that people do when they get dollar amounts. On the other hand, you can give them a five dollar bag of coffee without looking cheap because, as a non-monetary gift, it seems less like an exchange and more like a simple gesture.

I know this sounds silly but somehow it seems to be true. Think about it yourself: if you helped someone move into a new house for three hours, would you feel more grateful for $5 in return or a five dollar box of chocolate?

If a med student gave me a gift card for 30 dollars I would find that inappropriate, and a little bit weird. Something small, aka a cup of coffee ( aka coffee gift card) or a really nice thank you note are more than enough.

Reactions: 1 user
If you are going to give a gift card, make it for at least $30-60.

While I understand your logic, there are some departments who have strict policies on accepting gifts of larger monetary amounts, and this may apply to med students as well. A $5 coffee card would seem a really nice gesture from someone who you know is relying on loan money, at least to me.

While I understand your logic, there are some departments who have strict policies on accepting gifts of larger monetary amounts, and this may apply to med students as well. A $5 coffee card would seem a really nice gesture from someone who you know is relying on loan money, at least to me.

I would not and have never given any letter writer a gift, but if you are compelled to give one, it should be a token gift. Maybe bake some cookies? Something personal would be appreciated more than a Starbucks gift card...

That is funny because I know of a certain department at a certain school where students have been known to basically shower the chair with gifts in advance of interview season in hopes of favorable letters. Grimy to say the least.