Giving phone number to patients

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goodtooth

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am a current dental student and have a bit of a problem that I would like to get your input on. Over the course of the past few years I've noticed that it is not uncommon for male patients to contact their female student care provider in inappropriate ways. (i.e. trying to flirt, hit on, ask about personal life, etc. through text). This has happened to me and a lot of my friends and classmates. I know most schools have dismissal/reassignment protocols in place if the student reports the incident, but is there anyway avoid the situation all together. Is there an alternative to patient contact/coordination without having to give my personal phone number out to them?

Members don't see this ad.

Get a google voice number and you can drop it after dental school if you want.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a predent but I think the google voice thing seems like a good idea. Also, when giving out number, be assertive that this is for professional purposes only. Otherwise just hire a guy with a husky voice to answer your phone call, it can be a deterrent ^^.