Giving Up State Residency During Application Process?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ncfc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been a TX resident for all of my life...currently working in San Antonio and applying for the class of 2017. For personal reasons I will be moving and living/working from a different state starting this October. I plan to have all of my secondary apps submitted by the time I move, and will still be a TX resident when I hit submit. However does anyone know how moving in October will affect my application/in-state status? Do I need to alert TMDSAS when I move?

I would love to goto school in TX so naturally I rather be considered as part of the in-state applicant pool. I have lived here for nearly 30 years, and the bulk of my family is still in state. Getting into school is obviously my top priority, and I hate the thought of giving up my TX residency. It is not a deal breaker at all if I must pay OOS tuition for a few years in school.

Members don't see this ad.

You might want to contact TMDSAS directly, but based on the information you provided, you probably would qualify as a Texas resident for application purposes because TMDSAS places you in the resident/non-resident applicant pool based on whether you are a resident or not on the application deadline (October 1).

http://www.utsystem.edu/tmdsas/medical/residency.html

The situation may be different when it comes to proving Texas residency for tuition purposes, but the residency questionnaire does give you a chance to explain temporarily being out of state. If you own residential property in Texas, you probably won't have many problems.

I do not know this 100%, but there is no way you would be considered OOS. Most schools give you a year to gain residency and a year to lose it. That means you would have to be OOS for a year prior to some date the school sets, and if I recall correctly, Texas is the application deadline like the second poster said. So at that point you would have been OOS for a few days to a month probably so you would still be IS for application and tuition purposes.

Also, if it worked the other way where you lost IS tuition if you moved during the application cycle a good number of students would have no IS school if they did americorps or other gap year program. So it makes sense for the one year rule to gain IS or OOS status.