Giving up

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JulianCrane

The Power of Intention
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever really seriously considered just giving up this whole process? I can't take this studying anymore and the constant reminder by QBank that I apparently have learned nothing.

Members don't see this ad.

JulianCrane said:
Anyone ever really seriously considered just giving up this whole process? I can't take this studying anymore and the constant reminder by QBank that I apparently have learned nothing.

You can always retake it if you don't pass.

JulianCrane said:

use qbank to learn and don't let it get you down. they have some of the most ridiculous questions on there, and they also have some very good ones. try as hard as it is, to not pay too much attention to your percentages compared to others (I am convinced qbank has just assigned a percentage to something: for example, how in the world, can only 63% get a question right in which it shows the segments of a kidney, and asks where spironolactone acts, and then they will have a much more difficult question asking some random fact, and lo and behold 70% get that one right)

if you want a good indicator of where you stand, take one of the NBME exams. don't rely on qbank to tell you that.

Don't feel bad. You know what happened to me today?

So, about two weeks ago, I took NBME Form 2 and scored a 211. Ok. Then, on Saturday, I took NBME form 1 and scored a 221. Great. Then today.... I took form 3. Thought to myself, maybe i'll get a 225? 227? What did I get?

That's right. A freaking 195. In other words, after 6 weeks of studying, the NBME is telling me that I can barely pass the boards. And my exam is supposed to be on thursday. !!!

So - after flipping out completely for several hours, I decided to push back my exam to June 3rd. And I made a new study schedule for myself. I honestly don't know what happened on this exam - how my score could have been so low. But, the only think that I can do (short of jumping out a window...) is just keep studying, and take it in two weeks.

*sigh*.

So... i'm right there with you.

Q

Members don't see this ad :)
quideam said:

So, about two weeks ago, I took NBME Form 2 and scored a 211. Ok. Then, on Saturday, I took NBME form 1 and scored a 221. Great. Then today.... I took form 3. Thought to myself, maybe i'll get a 225? 227? What did I get?

That's right. A freaking 195. In other words, after 6 weeks of studying, the NBME is telling me that I can barely pass the boards. And my exam is supposed to be on thursday. !!!

So - after flipping out completely for several hours, I decided to push back my exam to June 3rd. And I made a new study schedule for myself. I honestly don't know what happened on this exam - how my score could have been so low. But, the only think that I can do (short of jumping out a window...) is just keep studying, and take it in two weeks.

*sigh*.

Q

Hang in there, I'm sure you'll do great! :)

Yeah, that's a kick in the pants. But, when you think about it, isn't this the first year they offer 4 forms? It could be that form 3 doesn't predict as well. At any rate, I'd put more predictive power in the first two forms since they're tried and true.

With two extra weeks and a recent fire lit under your ass, I'm sure you'll fair just fine.

quideam said:

*sigh*.

Q

Quideam I'm sorry to hear that. Were you using the NBME exams as an assessment tool as to what your weakness are? I took one the school gave and did "decent" on it but that was back in March. Now I'm getting scared that if I take one after 2 weeks of studying my score is gonna go down too :scared:. Maybe I'm getting paranoid.

Did people find they went up after taking the forms?

i am in the same boat as well, with regards to qbank anyway. i planned to take an nbme this wknd but now am freaked out about it...my qbank average is still in the mid-50's and i'm supposed to take the test in 3.5 weeks. panic attacks are becoming a regular thing. and i can't even think about what to prescribe for it! i seriously just want to pass this thing now!

My plan for the next two weeks (take it for what it's worth since apparently i'm ******ed....):

1. Goljan Physiology book, cover to cover. I actually think that it's really great and very integrative, and I regretted not having had the time to go through the whole thing in the past, so i guess now's my chance ;).
2. FA, again. Particularly focusing on pharmacology, biochemistry, behavioral, embryology, and neuroanatomy.
3. HY Cell and Molecular bio. Was planning on doing it the last day before the exam, so i'm going to stick with that.
4. For questions: since I've finished most of Qbank and don't think it really helped me (i've been getting in the low to mid-70s on qbank, so WTF?!?!!! anyway...), I looked for another source. I own the BSS series, though I haven't had time to go through them - well, again, here's my chace. I'm definetely going to go through the first two books (the normal and abnormal processes), and then try to do at least one or two tests from each of the organ systems books.

That's it. If anyone has any advice or feedback for me on this, i would appreciate it. And, yes, I know, "don't panic" :p.

Q

sounds like a fluke. i think the fact that u did well on two NBME's and are scoring mid 70's in qbank is a very good indication that u know your material.

general malaise said:
sounds like a fluke. i think the fact that u did well on two NBME's and are scoring mid 70's in qbank is a very good indication that u know your material.
Thanks :), but I still very much feel like crap. I'm just glad that at least i've stopped crying enough to pull myself together at this point! Anyway, hopefully this is something i'll look back at and 'laugh' about a few months from now....

quideam said:
Thanks :), but I still very much feel like crap. I'm just glad that at least i've stopped crying enough to pull myself together at this point! Anyway, hopefully this is something i'll look back at and 'laugh' about a few months from now....

Crying?

Geez I haven't even started studying much yet. I'm more of a crammer. We have a board review class starting Thursday.

Members don't see this ad :)
In all honesty, this is the biggest test you will ever take, and after this, you will never take another test where you will be judged by your score as anything more than adequate/not adequate. In other words, this is the one that matters.

Thats not meant to pressure you, but rather to help you focus. Just think of the relief after you take it and you know that youve done all you could. Regardless of the score, just dont sell yourself short.

Arsenic said:
when is your test date?

USMLE is June 19th. I have 1 month to study everything except pathology, since I can't really learn anything more about that subject. That is ample time.

Hey all, I'm just gonna get the score I'm supposed to get. I just have to do my best. Whatever happens happens.

True, the Devil May Care attitude takes hold of our head , once in a while, but after out feet touch the earth again, we realise that , we have to take everything in our stride.And who can blame, the qbank software is a pain.

But do take a short break.See a movie, it surely helps.Well Tom hank's movie is releasing this weekend!!
And come back with a bang!!All the best.You are almost there!! :thumbup: :luck:

Joining the club here. I take Step 1 on May 31st... about two weeks away. Qbank is absolutely dismal, I always feel like crap after spending any amount of time on that.

Let me chime in too. QBank absolutely makes me not want to take this test at all. I do fine on everything but that.

Quid, I've been thinking about your situation, and I think you should think about it like a theater company. No, I'm serious! Actors WANT to mess up in the dress rehearsal. It's good luck! That way you get the big flop out of your system-- leaving you for ultimate success on the exam. :)

Here's to a bad dress rehearsal for everyone. "Break a leg," all! :luck:

LOL.

Pinner Doc said:
Quid, I've been thinking about your situation, and I think you should think about it like a theater company. No, I'm serious! Actors WANT to mess up in the dress rehearsal. It's good luck! That way you get the big flop out of your system-- leaving you for ultimate success on the exam. :)

Here's to a bad dress rehearsal for everyone. "Break a leg," all! :luck:

My exam is now in less than two weeks and i just feel like i hit this unbelievable down... i've been depressed all day and i just don't feel like i actually know anything... i'm having a mid study break crisis!! i need to get out of it.... i had planned to take form 4 this weekend, and i'm crazily nervous about it... especially after what quid said... i'm scared i won't do as well as i want and it'll bum me out... on the other hand if i don't take it i'll go crazy trying to figure out how i stand... just thing... in a month or so we'll be starting our clerkship and *hopefully* this will all be behind us.

so someone remind me again why i'm doing this?

sleepymed said:
My exam is now in less than two weeks and i just feel like i hit this unbelievable down... i've been depressed all day and i just don't feel like i actually know anything... i'm having a mid study break crisis!! i need to get out of it.... i had planned to take form 4 this weekend, and i'm crazily nervous about it... especially after what quid said... i'm scared i won't do as well as i want and it'll bum me out... on the other hand if i don't take it i'll go crazy trying to figure out how i stand... just thing... in a month or so we'll be starting our clerkship and *hopefully* this will all be behind us.

so someone remind me again why i'm doing this?
"I want to help people by alleviating pain and suffering"- My AMCAS Essay :D
From what everyones been saying around here ...1-2 weeks is enough time to add 15-20 points to ur score.
I took NBME 2 after 1 week of studing and my score went up 20 points from NBME 1(Took it without studing to see where I stood). I hit up my weak areas preety hard that week tho....had to take a day off after the test :sleep: Point is: Take form 4 seriously, If u are not happy with ur ur scores...and u are defecient in 2-3 areas...1 week is enough time take of it. If the breakdown shows weakness in multiple disciplines....I suggest postponing the test AND spend some more time with First Aid or whatever review book u use.
Just keep the goal in mind....the porshe....nice house.....most importantly having an MD beside ur name.. ITS WORTH IT :thumbup:

If it helps keep things in perspective, I talked to an ENT doc Monday and I had my 2006 First Aid w/ me. He took one look at it and was like "USM..L...E Step 1 huh, what's that?". Granted he's in his 50's, but I actually had to remind him about boards. At first thought, he was under the impression that we take 1 exam, at the end of 4th year. He was shaking his head, laughing, and telling me to keep it all in perspective, saying we'd forget all about it in 10 years. "Jump that hoop, and don't look back."

oudoc08 said:
If it helps keep things in perspective, I talked to an ENT doc Monday and I had my 2006 First Aid w/ me. He took one look at it and was like "USM..L...E Step 1 huh, what's that?". Granted he's in his 50's, but I actually had to remind him about boards. At first thought, he was under the impression that we take 1 exam, at the end of 4th year. He was shaking his head, laughing, and telling me to keep it all in perspective, saying we'd forget all about it in 10 years. "Jump that hoop, and don't look back."

But at the same time... all the docs at my school are telling us how when THEY took it back in the day, no one even studied for it... it was just something that everyone (and that's everyone, across the country) had to pass before they were allowed on the wards. It wasn't used as a residency determinant. MY, how things change!

But yes, I like your post... always look on the bright side of things!

the boards are different now than they were "back in the day." the usmle step 1 has only been a requirement for 15 years or so. so most of these guys don't relate to studying for the step.

i heard that initially when the exam came out, it was only meant to be a pass/fail kind of deal and the score wasn't supposed to matter at all, hence the "you can't do it again if you pass" rule. unfortunately, residency programs decided to use the step 1 as a marker of who we truly are and now we're sitting around moaning about how horrible this exam was...

one of our infectious diseases professor said that she studied one weekend for the boards!! the good old days :)

Idiopathic said:
In all honesty, this is the biggest test you will ever take, and after this, you will never take another test where you will be judged by your score as anything more than adequate/not adequate. In other words, this is the one that matters.

Thats not meant to pressure you, but rather to help you focus. Just think of the relief after you take it and you know that youve done all you could. Regardless of the score, just dont sell yourself short.

We are also required to pass steps 2 and 3 to get licensed (my feeling is these are much harder tests than Step 1 !), and specialty boards to get certified (it's difficult to get a prestigious position if you're not board-certified), plus recertification exams every decade or so.
As far being judged, yes, residencies have their cutoffs, but do you really think a board score of 250 vs. a board score of 245 (or a 220 vs. a 215) will be a deciding factor for whom the residency accepts ? I think not! So basically as long as you get above a certain cutoff (you can get an idea of what that is for particular specialties from upperclassmen) you are in theory competitive.

Pinner Doc said:
But at the same time... all the docs at my school are telling us how when THEY took it back in the day, no one even studied for it... it was just something that everyone (and that's everyone, across the country) had to pass before they were allowed on the wards. It wasn't used as a residency determinant. MY, how things change!

But yes, I like your post... always look on the bright side of things!

Well if its of any consolation, when we get that age, the students at that time will have it even tougher then us and we'll look like the one's who had it easy.

just posting because there are so many SDNers out there doing really well (>60%) on Qbank...

i have my usmle on june 9th and i'm still only in the 50% consistently
very depressing.
:(
I "reduced" my study material to:
Goljan path lectures
Pharm cards
micro made ridculously simple
First Aid
Step Up
Acland anatomy videos

how does that sound?
freaking out... :scared:

JayZee said:
just posting because there are so many SDNers out there doing really well (>60%) on Qbank...

very depressing.
:(
I "reduced" my study material to:
Goljan path lectures
Pharm cards
micro made ridculously simple
First Aid
Step Up
Acland anatomy videos

how does that sound?

Do Qbank, but FORGET about the damn score you're getting. Just learn it for *some* of the information.

If you want to predict your score, do at least one of the practice NBME's or the free test that is given out (150 questions). They are FAR more predictive of the real thing from what I hear.

Oh yea, and don't freak out. The marginal time you waste stressing is time spent getting info into your head...:)

-Ice

Yikes, I'm scheduled to take it in a little over two weeks, and I just did an NBME exam...not so great (well, passing...just not what I would like by any means). How much can you improve in, say, two weeks? (doesn't help that I've had migraines for pretty much all of the last two weeks, and I kind of expect them to continue!)

(I also kind of sped through the exam...finished most sections with over 15 minutes to spare...but I don't think the extra time spent debating answers would have helped me much!)

ice_23 said:
Do Qbank, but FORGET about the damn score you're getting. Just learn it for *some* of the information.

If you want to predict your score, do at least one of the practice NBME's or the free test that is given out (150 questions). They are FAR more predictive of the real thing from what I hear.

Oh yea, and don't freak out. The marginal time you waste stressing is time spent getting info into your head...:)

-Ice

oh thank you for the support! we'll see how i do... :idea:

I know this has been asked a bunch of times, but is this the consensus? I don't care what they say, getting a 60% still feels like :thumbdown:

Also, how are people doing on the Full Length Kaplan Simulation? About the same? I scored a few percentage points below my overall Qbank average, which was somewhat dissapointing...

And what about the report at the end with the USMLE-like format?

I agree, 75% of the time when I finish a Qbank session, I feel like tossing my computer out the window, feeling like I'm ...so to everyone who is discouraged, I hear ya.

QBank is really funny. I'm almost done with it and I'm realizing that some of the questions I'm getting aren't new questions but similar types of questions that are asking the same thing but just with different words. Hmmm. . .

Me too, JC...I had 3 questions on CREST syndrome asked 3 different ways!
and I realize that my score is skewed slightly because I'm doing "random" of unused...but I did some qbank throughout 2nd year during my systems courses...sooo I'm left with the stuff I didn't really study or practice questions on like phys, behavioral, stats, stuff I suck at! maybe, just maybe, that explains my low scores!!!

JayZee said:

very depressing.

how does that sound?

Right there with you. Mine is on the 12th. Not looking good.

Good luck!

Sometimes my brain works, and other days it just doesn't work. It's strange that the more that I've studied, the worse I'm scoring. :confused:

Idiopathic said:
In all honesty, this is the biggest test you will ever take, and after this, you will never take another test where you will be judged by your score as anything more than adequate/not adequate. In other words, this is the one that matters..

wait. so step 2 doesn't matter?

I'm taking COMLEX this Friday May 26th. Should be fun!

I'll try to post some general impressions once I recover from this weekend :D

Any clue what a 67% ave on COMLEX Qbank is equivalent to on the real deal?

Right now, I feel like I have the Jarish-Herxheimer phenomenon. Everything is getting worse before it's gonna get better. But, the bright side of it is is that it is going to get better. Home stretch, baby!

one of my review lecturers said something funny i thought i'd share.

the rule of 2's:

study 2 months - level 1/step 1
study 2 weeks - level 2/step 2
bring 2 pencils - level 3/step 3

:laugh:

i guess in our case it wouldn't be pencils anymore would it? :D