GlideYear Jobs for NonTrad Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ababs

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying for fall '16 entry, and have been applying for any job under the sun. Now I'm in a tough place with multiple job offers.. Does anyone have any advice on how to decide? My family is willing to let me live rent free for the next year, so it comes down to taking a job closer to medicine for less pay or a boring job, not really related, for excellent pay. Everyone is advising to take the money, but I'm afraid it will do nothing for my overall application and leave NO time for anything to make up for it. My academics are ok, but every advisor tells me I'm a risky applicant to begin with and I need every chance I can get!

Undergrad/Masters-International Relations, 3.3GPA
PostBac-3.0 GPA (upward curve with Orgo I murdering my GPA)
2 years research, non medical
Excellent LORs
Two long term clinical internships
Two long term volunteer positions
No publications/awards/presentations/leadership related to medicine
MCAT pending, but tests have been scoring around a 30

Jobs-
Scribe for an oncology practice I'm very familiar with, $20k for 40hr/wk
Data Entry (basically) for clinical trial database company, $40k+ for 50+hr/wk
Lung Transplant Researcher (top 10 school, authorship, intensive, hands on clinical experience)-$10K for 40+hr/wk

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the advice! When I interviewed for the data position, the hiring manager pulled me aside and told me she was worried I'd be bored with the work, as its mostly managing errors, not analyzing or having any direct influence on the trials/data itself.
It just seems rather silly to turn down that much money when its being offered, in comparison to the others.

You probably will be -- any entry level job is pretty boring. That's why they pay you for it! :)

One thing to consider is flexibility to travel to interviews. Do they all know that you're applying to med school?

The scribe and researcher positions, yes. The hiring manager for the data job is aware I'm applying but probably doesn't realize the flexibility I might need, I'll have to follow up with them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm guessing you have a favorite from the 3 choices; I suggest you go with that one. Money rarely trumps happiness.

You should look into consulting work. I'm in my "glide" year now and have managed to get a healthcare consulting gig (no experience in that field prior I might add) which allows a ton of flexibility and ability to work remotely. It also pays very well, almost double the data entry job you speak of, and is a little more intellectually stimulating I imagine.

On a side note, I was offered a very interesting research position as well and chose money instead. Med school is expensive and I have the next 4 years to do research for free (10k is basically free in my eyes). Hope this helps!

You should look into consulting work. I'm in my "glide" year now and have managed to get a healthcare consulting gig (no experience in that field prior I might add) which allows a ton of flexibility and ability to work remotely. It also pays very well, almost double the data entry job you speak of, and is a little more intellectually stimulating I imagine.

On a side note, I was offered a very interesting research position as well and chose money instead. Med school is expensive and I have the next 4 years to do research for free (10k is basically free in my eyes). Hope this helps!

I hadn't even considered the consulting side, but it sounds like it may be a better fit. Back to the googling...
Hearing you chose the $ and still got accepted relieves some of the worry, thanks!! I'm hoping my MCAT comes back awesome so I feel like I have less to make up for with ECs, work,and the rest!