Global health and EM -- which programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Handinhand

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I've posted on here a few times before trying to get insight from everyone. I'm a 2nd year medical student pretty dead set on heading into EM in a few years.

I also have a pretty big interest in global health and GH research, something I've tried to get started in med school -- I spent two months in Vietnam last summer working on injury prevention with a local NGO. I've come to find though that the research I would like to do really isn't fit for a medical student, as most projects take years to develop and would never finish before I graduate, and I also don't have the medical knowledge yet to really make an impact. It's definitely something I plan on continuing into residency and my career, so I wanted to poll all of you and see what residency programs there are that really support resident global health work and have a lot of connections made in the field.

I ultimately would like to do EMS/ prehospital outcomes work in Asia.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a 2nd year medical student pretty dead set on heading into EM in a few years.
what residency programs there are that really support resident global health work and have a lot of connections made in the field.

There are many, particularly in NYC. That said, why don't you ask this question again in a year or two when/if you definitely decide on EM after starting your clinical rotations? I'm not saying this to be an ass, but based on your question there is literally no reason whatsoever that you need to know this information at this point in your life. From your post history, it looks like you're busy prepping for step 1. Go focus on that. It will serve you infinitely better than worrying about the finer details of random residency programs.

Reactions: 1 user
There are many, particularly in NYC. That said, why don't you ask this question again in a year or two when/if you definitely decide on EM after starting your clinical rotations? I'm not saying this to be an ass, but based on your question there is literally no reason whatsoever that you need to know this information at this point in your life. From your post history, it looks like you're busy prepping for step 1. Go focus on that. It will serve you infinitely better than worrying about the finer details of random residency programs.

Agreed. But sometimes you need a light at the end of the tunnel to get you through.

Can't study all day.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
A lot of residents at the Univ. of Toledo got to do some pretty far-out international/global health stuff (Middle East, China, Hawaii, Phillippines) in recent years.

Try UMD. We have faculty and alumni working and lecturing in Amsterdam, Malawi, China, and South Africa.

The International fellowship can be found here.

Yeah I've been studying my ass off for Step 1, just needed a little bit of a distraction.

I wanted an idea of what some programs throughout the country are known to be doing -- in my experience it's usually a faculty member or two that has one dedicated project they're working on. Thanks for all of the advice guys!

Yeah I've been studying my ass off for Step 1, just needed a little bit of a distraction.

I wanted an idea of what some programs throughout the country are known to be doing -- in my experience it's usually a faculty member or two that has one dedicated project they're working on. Thanks for all of the advice guys!
Might check out EM programs at places global health fellowships. They've probably got strong ties and sites set up globally already.

See here. Don't know how current it is

http://www.globalhealthfellowships.org/database.html

Here is a more current and EM specific link. http://www.iemfellowships.com/

Not all fellowships participate in the consortium at this time, though. There are also some EMS fellowships with Global Health focus that may interest you. Emory had a global EMS fellow in the past and GW has had EMS fellows with GH focus. I'm sure there are others.

I agree with checking out the global health fellowships. Some fellowships are heavily focused in a particular niche or are particularly driven by a particular faculty member's projects/interests. Others are more flexible depending on the fellow's interests. As for residency programs, some are starting global health tracks (UIC is one), and it might be good to look at institutions that have broad support for global health outside of EM as well (e.g. have a Center for Global Health, have a global medicine program for medical students, etc.)

GW! Off the top of my head this year people have gone to: India, China, Ghana, St Croix, Saudi Arabia, Nairobi, Ethopia, UAE...I am sure there were others as well but thats what I can think of now.
Also we have an international fellowship :)