Global Health Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SSSMDt

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know which medical schools tailor well to interests in global health? The MSAR states percentages of students who participated in a global health experience during medical school.. does anyone know which schools have the highest participation in this sort of thing. Or which schools have a mission statement or any sort of focus on global health?

Thought I'd get input before I start clicking through each school on the MSAR..

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

From my own research into that... I saw that Northwestern (Feinberg), Cornell (Weill), and Brown (Alpert) all have pretty good global health opportunities.

I think Global Health is great, but because of the cost, I imagine it is limited to (mainly) top schools.

Seconding Cornell. We have a global health course in the spring (for people who are interested) and we send a lot of people abroad over the summer. There's a 4th year right now who took 2 gap years to do global health work aboard in two different countries, and you can also choose to do an elective rotation abroad in your fourth year.

Penn also has a great global health program.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know which medical schools tailor well to interests in global health? The MSAR states percentages of students who participated in a global health experience during medical school.. does anyone know which schools have the highest participation in this sort of thing. Or which schools have a mission statement or any sort of focus on global health?

Thanks in advance.

The best GH programs are typically found among the upper-tier schools. Harvard, Duke, and UCSF, I know, have great GH departments (but the list is not limited to those by any means). Miami does a lot of work with Haiti and Central/South American populations. Columbia is offering more and more chances to do GH work through funding for summer international service and the option to do a 4-10 month scholarly project on a GH topic.

More and more medical schools offer some sort of GH opportunity, it just depends on the level of involvement you would like. E.g. At Duke you can spend your entire 3rd year doing GH research and clinical work in a developing country. Others, like Albert Einstein, might just offer easily accessible funding for short-term trips.

Thanks in advance.

Here's my quick and dirty list. In my experience these programs have great global health opportunities and/or look favorably at people with those kinds of ambitions or experiences.

Brown
Cornell
Columbia
Emory
UCSF
UMich
UChicago
Harvard
Tulane

Hope that helps!

More and more medical schools offer some sort of GH opportunity, it just depends on the level of involvement you would like. E.g. At Duke you can spend your entire 3rd year doing GH research and clinical work in a developing country. Others, like Albert Einstein, might just offer easily accessible funding for short-term trips.

Thats a good point, I didn't think about that I'll have to look more into that...

Here's my quick and dirty list. In my experience these programs have great global health opportunities and/or look favorably at people with those kinds of ambitions or experiences.

Brown
Cornell
Columbia
Emory
UCSF
UMich
UChicago
Harvard
Tulane

Hope that helps!

Thank you!! That helps a ton and now time to do more research on those..

Thanks everyone!