Global Health MPH where to go?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kkaur

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all! I have been repeatedly searching the forums because I saw many questions similar to mine, but I have decided to make a post so I can get all my questions out! Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

So after spending a year teaching English and science in Thailand, I decided to pursue an MPH. I am interested in global health- cultural, behavioral, and nutritional affects on prevalent diseases and health events. I have applied to many schools and been accepted. But as I told my parents, who still want me to become a doctor, they felt I should've chosen Epidemiology as my focus instead. Some of the schools I applied to didn't have global health as an option so I had chosen Epi for those schools. So for Epi I have been accepted to UMN, UAB, and Tulane. For global health I have been accepted to Emory and BU. My heart was set on global health but should I choose Epi instead? How easy would it be to switch tracks at either BU or Emory (they are my top choices) if I wanted to? Which of the two is better for global health opportunities while in school and after?

Again any help or advice would be much appreciated! I want to make a decisionoon and start planning for the semester ahead!

Please mention program strengths, cost, employment, research, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Why not do Global Epi? That way you can have both. Or do Epidemiology and a certificate in Global Health or its equivalent. I hope this helps! Emory has a Global Epi program. I'd say Emory would be the best option for you. You have the CDC in your backyard, which is great or EPI!

First off thank you for responding! I was accepted into global health for Emory. Since global epi is separate, I have been considering if I should switch to global epi if I go to Emory and once classes would begin. I am just worried about being marketable.

Members don't see this ad :)
Having a background in epidemiology and global health will definitely make you more marketable, because you will not only have knowledge of the content, but will possess very important technical skills, qualitative and quantitative, which can be applied in many settings.

Last edited:
Ok thanks! Do you know anything about Emory when it comes to switching tracks? And I see you're a candidate for Tulane, best of luck!

Thanks! I only have one more semester left. Unfortunately, I do not. I'm sure there's someone else on the forum that could help you with that query.

When I was there on a visit one of the advisors had told me it is possible but I'm not sure how easy it is to switch. I had the same choice though between emory and BU and ultimately chose emory because of the CDC being right there and the REAL experience they offer. Pretty much what BPW1088 posted.

Good luck with your choice!

Thanks for the input both of you! Pcdr2014, did you also do global health? I'm leaning more and more towards Emory as I search into it. The global field experience really seems awesome!

I am going for global epi starting this fall at emory. there is an emory mph/msph 2015 thread on here that you could ask there how easy it is to switch. I vaguely remember someone talking about it awhile back.

Based on my visit to Emory and talking to some current students there, I believe it is fairly easy to change from Global health to global epi at Emory. You should check it with your advisor though!

Good to know mimiQ! I've just been stressed with what I want to do vs what I should do to have enough skills to make the impact I want to make! Will you be attending Emory as well?

Pcsr2014 I think I sound the thread you mentioned! Thanks again and maybe I will see you in the fall!

Anyone here have any info on BU? Just trying to select the best program for me :)

@kkaur, if I may make a suggestion and ask you a question. Where do you see yourself wanting to live after you complete your MPH? Are you more of a Northeast, love the cold type of person, or a Southeast and warmth person? You should weigh location, as you will spend the next two years (or however many) building relationships with alumni living in the areas, and more importantly other public health professionals who will play an integral role in your career development.

I hope this suggestion help you.

@BPW1088 thats a very good point! There's so much to consider when it comes to choosing the right school

Hi everyone,
I recently was accepted to Tulane and Emory for Global Health ( I really want to do nutrition and take some electives in infectious diseases), but I am having a very hard time deciding which school is best for me. After MPH school, I plan on going to school again to become a physician assistant and hope to someday work for the World Health organization and/or other global health organization using my medical and nutritional knowledge in order to diagnose and treat people with infectious diseases. Both Tulane and Emory are great programs but I don't know which school will provide me more hands on experience working with global health organizations. Has anyone been accepted to both programs before and if so, which one did you choose? What are the pros and cons for both programs? Which program has more of a connection to global organizations such as WHO? Which program will best fit my educational needs?