1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Global Scholars Program at SGU

Discussion in 'Saint George's University Forum (Sponsored)' started by GSPstudent, Jul 17, 2010.

1. This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. GSPstudent

GSPstudent

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
  2. lakers4lyfe

lakers4lyfe

Medical Student

hey im a canadian student who just got accepted to the gsp program for jan '11. i was wondering if you were canadian (?) and if you had any tips regarding financing.

anything would be helpful!
  3. adarsh

adarsh

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I had some questions, as I too, was accepted into the GSP for Jan'11 :

Financing- how did you finance your first year? through which loans? Is it possible to get federal loans (if a US citizen) for the rest of the years?

Housing- what's the best place to live that's affordable and safe in newcastle?
  4. jockstate

jockstate

Pre-Medical
    Whats the advantages/disadvantages of starting in Jan??
    When did you start in GSP?

Also, is there any way to start in Jan and still match in 2014? Or do you have to wait til 2015?

I haven't gotten accepted to GSP yet, but i'm hoping to for Jan 2011.
  5. iheartednorton

iheartednorton

Non-Student
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    hi guys. i too am a fellow GSP-er. i am in my fourth year of clinicals (i started in january in the charter class). as far as financing goes, you can only apply for private loans. there are NO stafford loans available at this time. In regards to housing my advice is to go with what SGU offers. if you start in jan of 2011, you would enter the match for 2015. the advantages of starting in january are that you have more time for pretty much everything. your first two years will follow a strict path (unless you fail/decell). so you will be done w basic sci after two years and then you need to start your clinical rotations for year three. these start generally in august. so from january to like juneish you will have time to study for and take your boards in order to start in august. you may also take the chance to start your third year clinicals "early" as in like june if you so desire and get six weeks of year four out of the way. this is all really really confusing but basically if you start in january you will not be under the time constraints of an august starter. on the other hand, i wouldnt recommend starting in jan over august for this reason as it will put another year in between you and your final destination.

hope this helps.
  6. MozartFan

MozartFan

Are US federal (stafford, etc) loans unavailable for all four years or just the time in UK?

7. HeadBanger

HeadBanger

There are no stafford loans for the first year while you are in the UK. Once you start 2nd yr in Grenada, then you may get stafford loans for the rest of your schooling.
  8. RUpremed

RUpremed

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    so whats this i hear about the program not being accredited by california and nj? from what i gathered from the sgu website, don't you obtain the equivalent of a masters in biomedical sciences or something upon completion? if thats the case, why would there be a discrepancy with licensing?
  9. iheartednorton

iheartednorton

Non-Student
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    The GSP is accredited in ALL 50 states for practice upon licensure. At this moment, 3rd and 4th year rotations, as well as residency are not options in NJ. Hopefully this issue will be a non-issue in the near future.
  10. Richardh

Richardh

SDN 2+ Year Member
    just to clarify one more time (sorry!) SGUGSP students are able to practice in CA and NJ upon getting licensure, but SGUGSP students can't do rotations (during 3rd 4th year) or residency in NJ?

hope those who start in Jan 2011 and onward won't have this problem instead they can do rotations or residency in NJ. i mean if you can practice in NJ upon getting licensure why can't a student do rotations or residency in NJ?
  11. iheartednorton

iheartednorton

Non-Student
    SDN 7+ Year Member

Can't make any guarantees about the future. If rotating/residency in NJ are important to you, SGU suggests that you attend in Grenada.
  12. Richardh

Richardh

SDN 2+ Year Member
    thank you for the clarification and quick reply iheartednorton! also thanks for your advice!

you're the best!!!
  13. Richardh

Richardh

SDN 2+ Year Member
    by the way, what is webinar? is it just only global scholars program students who need to complete this internet and telephone assignment :confused:
  14. Richardh

Richardh

SDN 2+ Year Member
    disregard my previous post. i found that it's a e-mail/seminar session that everyone completes with the school admin :thumbup:
  15. GSPstudent

GSPstudent

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Hello- Sorry for the delay in response. So my Canadian friends all do lines of credit from home banks, and usually their parents pay the interest, or are paying down the balance while they are in school.
    Starting in January is the way to go! You will graduate in 4.5 years, you can do it in 4, but there is no point to rush and graduate in Dec, because residencies don't start until July. So take the extra time to study for STEP 1 and STEP 2, also maybe take some vacations, get married, have a kid, whatever you want to do!!!
    Living in newcastle, they will force you to live in their facilities for the first term, unless you have a significant other with your, or kids. This has changed since i was there, you are now closer to campus, and their are apartment style dorms. Typically 4 bedrooms with a common area and kitchen and usually 2 bathrooms. You can move off second term, and there are plenty of housing companies, because there are so many college students. I did this, it was great, I lived off of Melbourne street near the Quayside. Hope this helps!!!
  16. Richardh

Richardh

SDN 2+ Year Member
    hi gspstudent! can you explain to me how are exams given out at newcastle? (more specifically the timing? i heard it's given the same time when the students in grenada are taking their exam).
  17. Richardh

Richardh

SDN 2+ Year Member
    also can you clarify if grading is really based on absolute grade? (is it true there are no +/-? B+, B-?)
  18. GSPstudent

GSPstudent

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Hello- As for the exams, I believe the time difference is 5 hours, so in England you will start your exams in the afternoon while the students in Grenada will start in the morning. All of the notes are identical, most lecturers were originally professors in Grenada, so you are receiving basically the same education. The grading scale currently is a straight 2/3/4 for A/B/C. There was discussion of going to the 2/2.3/2.7/3.0/3.3 ect.... grading scheme to include +/-s, which would be great for some people, and maybe annoying for others. I of course didn't mind receiving a 4.0 grade for a 91% in a class, but maybe if I was the student who had a 98% I would be a bit peeved. Hope that helps!
  19. Richardh

Richardh

SDN 2+ Year Member
    thanks and glad to see you're back gspstudent! sorry if i was bothering you with rotations/clinicals/exams!
  20. rainman6304

rainman6304

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I'd like to get an idea of how much the GSP program costs.

So far I have
    Tuition: $21,552
    Books: $800
    Housing: $3000
    (Please include any other costs, obviously food and other amenities)

An approximation of others costs would be nice to see, so I can determine the amount I need to borrow for that first year.
  21. Richardh

Richardh

SDN 2+ Year Member
    hi rainman6304!

i might be way off but came up with this approx cost:

-total school tuition: $21,552 (tuition $17,730.00 + administrative/student fees $3,822.00)
    -books: $800.00
    -housing: $3,000.00
    so for 2terms (term 1&2) might be around $50,704.00

other fees to consider might be:
    -airline: (round trip ticket = $2,000.00)
    so for 2terms (term 1&2) might be around $4,000.00

-health Insurance: (school's insurance policy 1 for age 24-30 = $1,180.00
    policy 2 age 24-30 = $750.000)
    so for 2terms (term1&2) might be around $2,360.00 for policy 1
    –OR- $1,500.00 for policy 2

food: (1 week might cost around $200 and there are 18 weeks in the 5 months period for term 1 jan 10th 2011-may 14th 2011 = $3,600.00)
    so for 2terms (term1&2) might be around $7,200.00

total:
    $64,264.00 (if you choose policy 1 health insurance)
    $63,404.00 (if you choose policy 2 health insurance)

but i still haven't included school supplies (note cards, note books, etc.), cleaning supplies (laundry detergent, toothpaste, soap, etc.), and other stuff…so the cost might be higher?
  22. ccny

ccny

Pre-Medical
    Hi, I'm interested in applying to the Global Scholars Program and I wanted to know if after your 2nd year in Grenada was it hard for any one to get a residency in the US?
  23. ccny

ccny

Pre-Medical
    Also! Sorry! I have one more question! When a student goes to either SGU or Ross, they attend school for 2 years on the island or partially UK (if in global scholars program) and then the next 2 years are where? What is the process after the first 2 years?
  24. Dr Jack

Dr Jack

Medical Student
    Hey guys, Can one of you, or more ;) give me your opinion on starting Med school in Grenada VS Newcastle. I got accepted and am planning to start January 2012. Hopefully it would help me make up my mind.

Thx:eek: