gluconeogenesis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rousey

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would gluconeogenesis occur during times of starvation when you need energy, or when you already have enough energy and you want to get rid of some pyruvate or OAA? TPR says it occurs when you already have enough energy, but that just doesn't make sense to me. It makes sense to make glucose during times of starvation when you need energy

Members don't see this ad.

Gluconeogenesis occurs only during times you need energy, i.e. starvation, fasting, intense muscle activity, or "fight-or-flight" response. When you already have enough energy, you wouldn't do gluconeogenesis to get rid of pyruvate or OAA. You would turn pyruvate into acetyl-CoA and then make fatty acids from it.

Reactions: 1 user
Gluconeogenesis occurs only during times you need energy, i.e. starvation, fasting, intense muscle activity, or "fight-or-flight" response. When you already have enough energy, you wouldn't do gluconeogenesis to get rid of pyruvate or OAA. You would turn pyruvate into acetyl-CoA and then make fatty acids from it.

That's what I thought. I don't know what TPR was thinking