Army GMO Special Pay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Slevin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently serving as a GMO and when I picked up this assignment I requested with the finance office to receive the ASP as I was no longer in training. However the other day my friend who is a GI doc working down the hall from me in a different operational billet told me that I may qualify for a second speciality pay. So I then go to the DOD military special Pay Website reviewing the different types of special pays and based on the wording of the website I believe I'm not only entitled to the VSP and ASP but also the ISP. The wording from the DOD military pay website is as follows:

Section 302(b) Medical Officer Incentive Special Pay (ISP)
Financial incentive to address retention difficulties and shortages of critical wartime specialties by closing civilian-military pay gap. An officer entitled to VSP, upon agreement to remain on active duty for at least a year, may be paid ISP for any 12-month period during which the officer is not undergoing internship or initial residency training. Paid as annual bonus. Up to $75K payable for 12-month active duty service agreement. Discretionary pay; all Military Departments use this pay.
And looking at the way it's worded since I'm entitled to the VSP and I'm not undergoing internship or initial residency training and while the amount varies according to speciality it does not state to receive the pay that you are required to be board certified/board eligible.

Question is this does anyone have any more detailed information on the ISP than what is listed on the MilitaryPay DOD site? Come Monday I'm going to contact my finance office and see if I can claim the ISP since it appears I meet the qualifications and then I highly doubt I'm entitled to claim the previous 2 years that I've been a GMO and receive the pay from those years but once I establish that I'm qualified for the ISP it wouldn't hurt to ask

Members don't see this ad.

Wait, you mentioned ASP, ISP and VSP. Which one are you asking about? You don't qualify for ISP (the biggest $)

INCENTIVE SPECIAL PAY (ISP)
050401. Eligibility Criteria
To be eligible for ISP under section 0504, a medical officer must:
A. Be below the grade of O-7;
B. Have a current, valid, unrestricted license or approved waiver;
>>>>>C. Have completed their specialty qualification before October 1 of the fiscal year in which the officer enters into an agreement<<<<

http://comptroller.defense.gov/Portals/45/documents/fmr/Volume_07a.pdf

Last edited:
GMOs get ASP and VSP per the pay tables. Your med school graduation date is when the clock starts on the <2, >2, >3, etc time categories.

ISP is only paid after residency.

BCP is only paid after passing specialty board exams, but gets back-dated to the day you took the final exam for board certification.