Navy GMO this year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

az19

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure there's a post somewhere that has this info, but can't find it. I will be doing a gmo next year so.

Does anyone know when we are getting the billets list this year? Then I assume we submit this wish list to the detailer before match day.

I'm still confused about this match day, we have to all sit next to our phones all day long until we speak to a detailer then we will know where we are going? Whats the point of the wish list?

Also, if I become an alternate, I lose this slot if I select a gmo right?

Thank you guys

Members don't see this ad.

I'm still confused about this match day, we have to all sit next to our phones all day long until we speak to a detailer then we will know where we are going? Whats the point of the wish list?

To let you pretend like you have some say in where you go.

This is the big rub every year. If you take orders somewhere
, yes, you will be removed from the alternate list.

If you actually verbally commit to a set of GMO orders, then yes, you will lose your alternate spot. However, your detailer *may* allow you to wait a bit and 'reserve' a particular GMO billet, while you wait to come off the alternate list, but how willing and/or able he/she is to do that varies.

My information is outdated, but my late 2000's intern class didn't get a formal list until pretty late in the season, in November. More forward-thinking classmates of mine did reach out to current GMOs and the detailer to figure out what assignments were likely to show up on there, and somewhat commit to them early, or at least put a bug in the ear of the detailer to let them know of their interest much earlier than Match Day.

Best of luck...

To let you pretend like you have some say in where you go.

This is the big rub every year. If you take orders somewhere
, yes, you will be removed from the alternate list.

Members don't see this ad :)
My information is outdated,

Not much has changed, your post is pretty accurate.

I'm pretty sure there's a post somewhere that has this info, but can't find it. I will be doing a gmo next year so.

Does anyone know when we are getting the billets list this year? Then I assume we submit this wish list to the detailer before match day.

Thank you guys

The dream sheet that you fill out for the detailer is just a way of giving him a heads up; it is by no means obliging, on either your or his part. Yes, you have to play the phone game and call him on the day of the match. Something that you can do (that I didn't know was legal, but it): you can get together in a room with the rest of your friends, all of you start dialing him, the first one to connect does his/her business, then passes the phone around to let the rest of your group select (without breaking the connection of course, thus maintaining comms with the detailer and locking up the line). This was allowed in previous years, totally unfair, especially for those of us who were on difficult services and couldn't dedicate half of the day to being on the phone . . . but that's the way it is. I hope they changed that policy, but if the didn't, I'd consider doing it.

Thanks guys! I doubt anything will change for this year, with regards to the process.