GMO Tours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CliffC911

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey, i've been hanging around reading this forum for a couple weeks now (even though i'm only an undergrad with aspirations for usuhs) and i was wondering what the GMO tour is? i see it constantly brought up as a negative and was just wondering if someone could fill me in. sorry if it's a silly question but let me say thanks ahead of time for any replies

Members don't see this ad.

GMO = general medical officer. army and air force have pretty much phased this out, but navy still requires it. the way it works is that after you graduate from medschool, you go serve as a GMO for several years (2 or 3 probably) before residency. there's good and bad sides to this. you'll get lots of neat experience, but it also delays your actual graduation from residency. anyway, that's the GMO deal. there's lots of places you could serve with the navy thru the GMO tour (ie- on a ship, on a base somewhere, as a flight surgeon, as an undersea medicine dude...) hope that helps.

by the way, when are you gunna be applying to USUHS? i'll be applying next year. :D

i'm a college sophomore now, so i'll apply in two years although i wish i could get it over with and apply now