PhD/PsyD Goals/steps to take during PhD if your intention is to continue in academia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JiminyCroquet

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm starting a clinical, heavily research-oriented Ph.D. program in the Fall. I'm at a "Big Name" school with a "Big Name" advisor; given how competitive tenure track academic positions are, what should I expect to have to do during the next 5-6 years in order to not get my cv tossed when I look for jobs (in terms of publishing, connections, internship type, etc.)?

Members don't see this ad.

The advice that I've been given from folks at several tier1 schools is to publish about ten papers with at least half being first authorship in good journals to establish a general program of study. A big part of the skills to develop to compliment that are statistical skills- SEM, HLM, LCA/LPA, etc.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'll add teaching to T4Cs list if you would like to be in a psychology department. Experience mentoring students on research projects is also very helpful if its possible to get at your institution.

Otherwise - the above 2 posts sound spot on to me. The balance among all these things varies depending on exactly what path you want to set for yourself (AMC vs. University, R1 vs. R2 vs. SLAC vs. etc.).

I didn't go the academia route myself, but based on what friends/peers of mine who did have said (and similar to what Ollie mentioned), getting some teaching experience can also be helpful. TA is good, but being the instructor of record is better. Although again as Ollie mentioned, the weight may vary by institution (e.g., SLAC and/or R2 with higher teaching expectations may value it more).

Above, and watch job talks. If you see any job talks near your area over your time in grad school, even if it is just a related department, go and watch. Don't wait till you go on the market, because there might not be one that year, and your own department might not even have a search in the time you're there. I've seen talks vary *enormously* in quality, to the low point of tanking applicants.

Reactions: 3 users
Be proactive in making your career goals known to your advisor and potential collaborators. Depending on how hands on or off your advisor is, letting him/her know that you have your eye on academia may give you more opportunities to publish (e.g., you come to mind quickly when thinking of who can help with Project X).