Goatee during Tufts interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheCatGuy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I couldn't find any thread addressing this specifically, so I'm hoping someone can offer some advice.

I have a very nice, full, trimmed goatee. It is part of my personality. Last year I shaved and didn't get accepted to any vet school and was told I didn't seem genuine in the interview. So I'm thinking I should keep my goatee for my Tufts interview coming up. But I don't know how Tufts is or if they frown on facial hair.

So essentially, should I shave for my Tufts vet school interview, or should I keep my goatee so they can see me as who I am? My wife thinks my goatee makes me more approachable lol.

Members don't see this ad.

I would look at faculty profiles and see if in any of them have facial hair. If so, I would say it is safe to keep it. As long as it is neat in appearance I would not be concerned about it anyway.

Reactions: 1 user
I couldn't find any thread addressing this specifically, so I'm hoping someone can offer some advice.

I have a very nice, full, trimmed goatee. It is part of my personality. Last year I shaved and didn't get accepted to any vet school and was told I didn't seem genuine in the interview. So I'm thinking I should keep my goatee for my Tufts interview coming up. But I don't know how Tufts is or if they frown on facial hair.

So essentially, should I shave for my Tufts vet school interview, or should I keep my goatee so they can see me as who I am? My wife thinks my goatee makes me more approachable lol.

Not sure if this is a serious post, but I'll bite.

I would worry less about your facial hair and more about your communication style and interviewing skills. They told you what the issue was, and it wasn't your appearance.

I don't think your usual goatee will automatically make you appear more "genuine" unless shaving it caused a profound change in your personality or communication ability.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My tattoo is a part of me. But I'm still going to cover it up. A single aspect of your physical appearance doesn't define you as a person or show what you are capable of (if it's something generic and not an obvious symbol, of course). Like WTF said, what matters are you communication abilities and your interview skills. I would worry about those attributes before deciding on your facial hair.

Everything that was said here. I'm a girl for the record-- I usually wear my short hair messy, teased, pompadour-ed, anything but normal and a lot of gel. I consider it a part of who I am--it partially inspired my user name because everyone calls me the bird! But when I'm with people in a professional setting or when I walk into an interview, you best believe it's framing the face and sleek. and it doesn't feel genuine to me, but I know that I need to communicate in such a way that my words speak over my self-perceived appearance. I wanted an undercut (shaved sides of the head) SUPER bad at the the start of the year but I'll definitely be holding off.

If you can deem a goatee professionally acceptable don't make a drastic change like that just before an interview. I do know, however, that facial hair may be seen as unsanitary. A little info packet for interviews I got from a school said it best: "the image of a doctor is one who treats disease, not spreads it." So go by that and think how future clients may perceive a goatee. I don't see an issue but my opinion isn't the one that matters.

Congrats on the Tufts interview and best of luck!

If you can deem a goatee professionally acceptable don't make a drastic change like that just before an interview. I do know, however, that facial hair may be seen as unsanitary. A little info packet for interviews I got from a school said it best: "the image of a doctor is one who treats disease, not spreads it." So go by that and think how future clients may perceive a goatee. I don't see an issue but my opinion isn't the one that matters.

Congrats on the Tufts interview and best of luck!

Those dirty dirty lumberjacks.

Reactions: 5 users
I'm curious about whether the original author means an actual goatee, or a van **** (which is what most, but not all, people mean when they say "goatee"). A van **** is pretty normal these days for most guys, but an actual goatee is a little more out there.

Either way, it shouldn't really matter in an interview. But I'm still curious.

ETA: Apparently SDN is censoring a certain word that rhymes with "bike" because it can also be a pejorative. How fun.

Reactions: 1 users
I felt the same way about my nose hoop! I decided to take it out for my interviews. My hypothesis is, if you have to question whether or not it's okay, it's better to err on the side of caution. The answer is you really don't know who is interviewing you and how they feel.

I had to look this up to determine what a van **** was versus a goatee.

0a395a2da1e5083214a69d93e8d73dfb.jpg

I decided all candidates with a hulihee should be given immediate acceptance wherever they interview.

Reactions: 7 users

I decided all candidates with a hulihee should be given immediate acceptance wherever they interview.

I was just going to say that someone needs to go to one with a hulihee...

Lol to clarify I personally don't think facial hair is unsanitary. Someone might though! It's always something to think about.
I mean, you do have to wear bear guards during surgery :p

Members don't see this ad :)

Like how do you... So much skill and class in one picture

I mean, you do have to wear bear guards during surgery :p

For the bears that sneak up behind you when you're sterile and give you big hugs. Darn bears. ;) :bear:

Reactions: 4 users
I sympathize with your dilemma. I usually have purple hair and unusually colored nails... it's part of my aesthetic and makes me feel more genuine when I present myself. I got rid of both for the interview season. even if it the schools don't care in general, you'll never know if you will come up against an interviewer who has a particular turn off against what you're sporting. I didn't like doing it but you're accepted, you have four years to do whatever the F you want, barring individual school dress codes.

$5 to anyone who interviews with mutton chops. But there needs to be photographic evidence.
Friend of mine had them until he was hired by the local police. Best thing for him in the looks department was getting a job where they have standards

I don't know if there is any correlation, but I had my nice red mustache and goatee neatly trimmed when I went on two interviews this cycle and I was accepted to both schools.

Thanks everyone. I have a goatee without the point on the chin. Mine is shorter and more rounded and always very neatly styled. Also just to clarify, it's not even that I don't feel genuine without it, it's that I interviewed last year clean shaven, didn't get in anywhere, and was told by a vet school that on paper I was great, but they didn't think I seemed genuine. I'm concerned that's because I look really weird and not like myself at all when I'm clean shaven.
Is it weird to ask an advisor how a particular school views facial hair?

Not sure if this is a serious post, but I'll bite.

I would worry less about your facial hair and more about your communication style and interviewing skills. They told you what the issue was, and it wasn't your appearance.

I don't think your usual goatee will automatically make you appear more "genuine" unless shaving it caused a profound change in your personality or communication ability.

I know, silly question. But I've done everything else I can to prepare and now I'm overanalyzing the little things. I was entirely genuine in my prior interviews, so I really have no idea what they mean about not seeming genuine unless it had to do with my appearance. They didn't specify.

Thanks everyone. I have a goatee without the point on the chin. Mine is shorter and more rounded and always very neatly styled. Also just to clarify, it's not even that I don't feel genuine without it, it's that I interviewed last year clean shaven, didn't get in anywhere, and was told by a vet school that on paper I was great, but they didn't think I seemed genuine. I'm concerned that's because I look really weird and not like myself at all when I'm clean shaven.
As long as it is well groomed I doubt it will be an issue

I know, silly question. But I've done everything else I can to prepare and now I'm overanalyzing the little things. I was entirely genuine in my prior interviews, so I really have no idea what they mean about not seeming genuine unless it had to do with my appearance. They didn't specify.

I have to agree. Unless you had some sort of 'wild man of the north' look going on, it is incredibly unlikely you were rejected for facial hair. If it had been a deal breaker, it probably would have been mentioned in your exit application review under some sort of 'professional' warning tag. But they said they didn't believe you were genuine, which is totally different.

If you have the time, I would suggest asking yourself some common questions you might get in an interview environment and recording your response. Watch for ways to improve and send the video to others for notes as well. Sometimes what we think we come across one way, but it reads different on the outside.

I mean, you can keep it if you feel that strongly but I really wouldn't bank on it being your ticket to acceptance. Not seeming genuine is more likely to allude to sounding too rehearsed with your answers. Have you done a mock interview with anyone? Hopefully they can provide you some more feedback. Admissions people don't know what you looked like without facial hair so it isn't like they were thinking you didn't look yourself - that's in your head. I think well-groomed facial hair is fine for an interview although clean-shaven is preferable.

I have to agree. Unless you had some sort of 'wild man of the north' look going on, it is incredibly unlikely you were rejected for facial hair. If it had been a deal breaker, it probably would have been mentioned in your exit application review under some sort of 'professional' warning tag. But they said they didn't believe you were genuine, which is totally different.

If you have the time, I would suggest asking yourself some common questions you might get in an interview environment and recording your response. Watch for ways to improve and send the video to others for notes as well. Sometimes what we think we come across one way, but it reads different on the outside.

Rawr.

It probably looks less weird than you think, you just aren't used to it. My better half has a vikingesque beard and the few times he's shaved I almost didn't recognize him, ha! But from the sound of it yours isn't (or shouldn't be) that big of a deal.

I would put this under the same notion that you need to feel comfortable and confident when you interview. So if you don't feel confident without it, don't shave it

I personally think it would be fine to keep it. You will feel more confident because you will look like yourself. Maybe you were thrown off by feeling odd about your appearance?

Another thing I thought I'd throw out there- not saying it applies- is that I have heard people say that too much confidence can come across as not genuine. So maybe if you were over prepared or didn't appear at all nervous you could come off as not genuine enough (like you don't really care about the interview). I can't imagine having this problem, but apparently some people do!

I grow what some would call a Some'er Beard... Some'er here, some're there. Basically, if you've seen Joe Dirt, that's me if I let it go. I curse the beard gods (and my genetics). :bullcrap:

So I guess I'm fortunate that the decision on whether or not to wear facial hair to the interview is made for me :laugh: But I'm all for classy mutton chops, French Forks, or handlebars with a waxy swirl at the end.

A goatee is not going to be the reason you don't get into vet school. You do you.