About the ads

Going abroad for 3 months AND studying for the MCAT?

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by Ellabelle, Apr 10, 2012.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. Ellabelle

Ellabelle

Pre-Dental
    SDN 2+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    I'm currently a sophomore at college and I'm done with my required Biology courses for the MCAT. I've taken General Chemistry and I'm taking Organic Chemistry right now. I've ordered my MCAT review books and I'm starting to study this summer for 3 months. I'm studying abroad from September to December and I will be back for Winter Break. I wont be studying while I'm abroad but I'm going to start as soon as I get back. I'm planning on taking the MCAT next May (my junior year). Do you think the 3 months of not studying is gonna hurt? Would I forget the things I studied over summer? Any advice? (I'm also taking Physics while I'm abroad)
    Thank you
  2. DocAbroad

DocAbroad Lifetime Donor

Attending Physician
    Physician
    The 3 months away won't hurt you. Enjoy them! If you are really concerned about missing out for that long, read a lot (essays, not fiction) while you are abroad. Consider it practice for Verbal.
  3. typicalindian

typicalindian Gold Donor

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    You will be fine! Just bring some reading material like newspapers or maybe science type journal articles if you're feeling ambitious. It will help your verbal which makes or breaks a lot of people. Plus reading is good for you :)
  4. chemhead123

chemhead123

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    This seems like a bad idea. 1.) If you are going to spend the money why would you want to spend time studying for the MCAT, 2.) You are not going to study for the MCAT.

10 to 1 you decide to reschedule and take the exam. You won't get back the first two or three weeks of study time that you were "trying" to study.

There is no way you are going to do both of those. Study abroad and push back taking it for a year.

Can't do both.