Going for Experience or Applying directly to an MPH program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

obi0688

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings,

So just a brief background on me: I finished with a B.S. in Biology and have various experiences within the health field but the past 2 years I have been working in the IT dept. for Dept of Health and Human Services. I am looking on applying to an MPH program with specific interests in Global Health/Infectious Diseases. I have taken the GRE once a month ago without much studying and did'nt do too well (In the late 140s for one section).

Since I have been out of the field for a long time O feel the need to get back into the field through volunteer/job opportunities ( even science classes/short programs at tech schools if need be) that will strengthen my resume and experience as a whole. The other option is to apply directly to schools for the next year.

One other issue i have is since being out of school for so long it would be more difficult for me to get recommendation from a professor, or is it not? Any advice or tips would help! Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Which schools are you aiming for? That might be helpful for people to know before giving you advice. If it's top-tier schools, my suggestion would be to wait a year to volunteer/work both so you have that experience, can get a rec letter from someone in the field, and can take the time to boost your GRE scores. If it's not top-tier, taking a look at the admissions requirements and percent of applicants admitted on those schools' websites might help you decide if you're competitive already.

I apologize, the schools I am interested in are Emory, UC Berkeley, Columbia University and GW University. I aiming for Fall of 2018 at latest so I am working on finding opportunities that will give me that experience. The hard part is there is minimal entry level opportunities close to where I live. Any advice?

Yeah, those are pretty competitive schools. IMHO, waiting until 2018 would be best, but don't plan your whole life off of one guy on the internet, obviously.

I had no luck finding an entry level opportunity in public health. I'm currently working at Whole Foods until I (hopefully) start in Fall 2017 and am doing public health related volunteer work on the side. I am attributing my employment woes to the fact that I live in an area that is hyper-saturated with public health grads out of undergrad and with MPHs, and I'm a career changer. My advice to you would be to use Idealist, look at the job opportunities at local colleges/universities (research or other), and network the best you can to figure out which non-profits/govt orgs might be able to use some help. If you have a refugee health program in your city, that might be an easy place to start. Hope this helped!