Going for prereqs... need advice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LearningPT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I graduated last year with a BA but it was mostly to just finish instead of wasting more money doing something that I was mildly interested but couldn't see myself doing full time.

After several months of researching and talking to several people, I realized that I was very interested in pursuing physical therapy. Problem is, since I did a BA, much of the sciences and maths I completed do not count for PT programs. I started going back to school part time while working full time but it's looking like there's going to be a hefty price tag by the end of this PT journey. I already have 20k from my undergrad and through I'm paying it off now, I'm afraid it's just going to go up exponentiallly.

I've read time and time again that it's worth it but does anyone have advice to abate much of this cost? I would just like to know if this is worth it so my sacrifices don't seem in vain. School + making excellent grades + work + bills = much, much stress.:scared:

Thanks,
Kari

Members don't see this ad.

As far as pre-requisites. Go to a community college.

I talked to about 10 different PT programs, and they all stated that taking classes at a community college would not negatively impact my application (particularly if you are a post-baccalaureate). But, just to be certain, I would email the PT programs that you are interested in, to make sure that it will be okay.

I wouldn't worry about the loans. If it's something you want to do, go for it. It's not like you're going to graduate as a PT and be forced to live in a box just to repay loans. I'm about $50k in debt from undergrad alone. One of the interns I worked with at the PT clinic I shadow was approaching $200,000 in loans. You're not the only one with loan debt, but like I said, if PT is something you REALLY want to pursue, loans should be the least of your worries.

Members don't see this ad :)
I understand, Muscles00GT. That's why I didn't feel too bad about the 20k. But there's also something called being financially responsible or aware of what you're getting into. This past year, I learned how quickly interests can accumulate on your loan. Even though I paid $50 more month and paid every single month without fail (even though it was deferred), my contributions to my loan was only half and the other half went straight to interest. Every month 50% of my loan payment is used by accrued interest!:eek: And I don't even have a private loan either. But I don't want the fear of this added debt get into the way of trying for PT.

9433, I'll look into community college courses. When I looked at a couple of schools, some of them required that all the GPA courses come from a 4 year insitution so I immediately assumed no community credit courses. Which sucks because those courses only costs $200 a semester :(

9433, I'll look into community college courses. When I looked at a couple of schools, some of them required that all the GPA courses come from a 4 year insitution so I immediately assumed no community credit courses. Which sucks because those courses only costs $200 a semester :(
I saw the same thing on a lot of the programs I was interested in, but I figured that sending an email to them and asking about it wouldn't be a big deal. So, that's what I did, and I am saving a couple grand this summer because of it.

Not sure if this will matter or not, but the majority of my courses were taken at a 4 -year college, just taking 2 pre-recs at a community college... and I did mention that when I contacted the PT programs.