Going For The MFT at SDUIS! *SHOCKING*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2014SanDiegoPhD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, well, well....

After reading over my other thread, AND receiving a really caring PM from someone on the board....I am happy to announce that I will apply for the MFT at SDUIS, and become licensed there. I really do not have any other choice because of my situation. I can get involved in research, keep my GPA at a 4.0, and do whatever else I need to do to stand out at SDUIS.

Then and only then, will I do the PhD...maybe at SDUIS, or somewhere else...because by that point I will have an advantage, and I will be able to compete with the other candidates with research experience and high GPAs. Heck I MIGHT even move out of San Diego...but probably not out of California. Maybe go to Los Angeles or San Francisco or something like that.

If I do good at SDUIS and keep my 4.0 GPA, maybe I can get my PhD funded, the way it should be.

The MFT will still cost me around $12,500, so the tuition will be the same. :xf:

This is shocking isn't it? Did anyone suspect or predict this happening to me? :laugh:

Haste makes waste....so I know I need to slow down. :)

ETA: I applied for a very generous Scholarship that not a lot of people qualify for or know...heck maybe I won't have to pay all of the $12,500. I will know by January...which makes me believe I will not start in January, but more like summer 2014. You can teach an old dog new tricks.....yes you can.

Does this mean I have to go to the other forum with all the other MFTs? I guess so.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What made you decide to not get the MFT from a reputable school like San Diego State University?

You are acting very arrogant and immature which is something you complained about others doing in your previous thread. You just started a thread to boast about a decision you made. You also now made a thread in "help" forum without asking any real questions.

Speaking from personal experience here, I hope you do some research on narcissism.

Members don't see this ad :)
What made you decide to not get the MFT from a reputable school like San Diego State University?

My undergrad GPA is below a 3.0....so I don't think I will qualify. I can try though. I remember someone telling me they applied with a 2.9 and got into SDSU Graduate Program.

You are acting very arrogant and immature which is something you complained about others doing in your previous thread. You just started a thread to boast about a decision you made. You also now made a thread in "help" forum without asking any real questions.

Speaking from personal experience here, I hope you do some research on narcissism.

I think it is all in good fun to be honest with you. I was just sharing the recent update..since no one expected me to change my mind, not even I. I am just having fun with it, mostly laughing at my own self.

ETA: I will try to work on myself PsychBiker...thanks.

Last edited:
My undergrad GPA is below a 3.0....so I don't think I will qualify. I can try though. I remember someone telling me they applied with a 2.9 and got into SDSU Graduate Program.

It's worth a shot. Granted, the fact that you chose the MFT program over Art Therapy.... thing.... well, the majority of the folks here would say you made a good choice, but SDSU would be better still. Doesn't hurt to apply.

What about University of San Diego? I have a friend who got an MFT there.

What about University of San Diego? I have a friend who got an MFT there.

Oooooohh..yeah. Maybe. IF I get this scholarship, I for sure will try that University. USD is very, very expensive, more expensive than my online degree. EEEKKK.

It's worth a shot. Granted, the fact that you chose the MFT program over Art Therapy.... thing.... well, the majority of the folks here would say you made a good choice, but SDSU would be better still. Doesn't hurt to apply.

I have to build my confidence up again...after you go online.....you never go back..lol. Only kidding, but there is an ounce of truth in that. I don't feel up to par with the other students, but like you said, it never hurts to try.

SDSU requirements for the MFT

Baccalaureate Degree from an accredited college or university;
Undergraduate grade point average of at least 2.85 in the last 60 units taken (Transcripts must be scanned and uploaded);
Postbaccalaureate grade point average of at least 3.0 in all units taken;
Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores - scan and upload;
Three references with e-mail addresses;
Applicant's personal statement, including personal profile and professional goals;
Experiential background relevant to the counseling field, including work history, volunteer activities, and relevant life experience; and
Effective interpersonal skills appropriate to MFT as demonstrated by written recommendations, employment record, individual and/ or group interview, and other relevant life experiences.
Take some psych classes at a CC if your GPA is below that 2.85.

MFT Licensure and Accreditation
Accredited Schools with MFT degrees

I have to build my confidence up again...after you go online.....you never go back..lol. Only kidding, but there is an ounce of truth in that. I don't feel up to par with the other students, but like you said, it never hurts to try.

Hrmf. (Understand, when I failed out of undergrad, I was readmitted with a 0.8 GPA; yeah, <1.0. In four years, I more-than-quadrupled that; I got through my MS, and am now in a funded PhD program. If I can do it, so can you.)

Perhaps a reputable (and in-house, as opposed to online) program is not outside your reach; I seem to get that impression based on the folks who are suggesting those programs to you (translation: consider yourself hit with a clue-by-four).

What do the CC courses do for you at this point in the game? I have a 2.8 GPA...not because I was partying, but rather that I became ill Without going into all the details, , come to think of it, now they have special scholarships for those who have what I have. I am trying to turn this around and maybe it will work to my advantage. Trying to stay positive etc.

Hrmf. (Understand, when I failed out of undergrad, I was readmitted with a 0.8 GPA; yeah, <1.0. In four years, I more-than-quadrupled that; I got through my MS, and am now in a funded PhD program. If I can do it, so can you.)

Perhaps a reputable (and in-house, as opposed to online) program is not outside your reach; I seem to get that impression based on the folks who are suggesting those programs to you (translation: consider yourself hit with a clue-by-four).

Oh WOW..thank you for sharing that. Maybe I DO still have a shot. Once I graduated with my 2.8..I thought I was done, finished....not a candidate for a real masters, hence why I did one online. Now my co-signer is stuck with the bill....a family friend (I feel awful) :(

I want to bounce back from this. I do want to do it right, but I don't know how I can.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Well, well, well....

After reading over my other thread, AND receiving a really caring PM from someone on the board....I am happy to announce that I will apply for the MFT at SDUIS, and become licensed there. I really do not have any other choice because of my situation. I can get involved in research, keep my GPA at a 4.0, and do whatever else I need to do to stand out at SDUIS.

Then and only then, will I do the PhD...maybe at SDUIS, or somewhere else...because by that point I will have an advantage, and I will be able to compete with the other candidates with research experience and high GPAs. Heck I MIGHT even move out of San Diego...but probably not out of California. Maybe go to Los Angeles or San Francisco or something like that.

If I do good at SDUIS and keep my 4.0 GPA, maybe I can get my PhD funded, the way it should be.

The MFT will still cost me around $12,500, so the tuition will be the same. :xf:

This is shocking isn't it? Did anyone suspect or predict this happening to me? :laugh:

Haste makes waste....so I know I need to slow down. :)

ETA: I applied for a very generous Scholarship that not a lot of people qualify for or know...heck maybe I won't have to pay all of the $12,500. I will know by January...which makes me believe I will not start in January, but more like summer 2014. You can teach an old dog new tricks.....yes you can.

Does this mean I have to go to the other forum with all the other MFTs? I guess so.

Actually, having an MFT may not put you at as much of an advantage as you may think. It MIGHT help, but it's not going to put you on top of the applicant pool just because you have an ma/ms.

Also, you said in your previous thread 1) you hate research 2) you hate statistics and now you want to shoot for a PhD? Even if you did got into a funded program, you would be completely miserable, not to mention probably not graduate. I just spent 5 hours today, wrote over 3 pages of code and left with no real progress.

I would seriously consider seeing a therapist if you have insurance.

I guess one of the first things I need to do (besides talking to SDSU) is to prepare and study for the GRE. I have NEVER taken it. What if I do well on it, and my 2.8 GPA will not look so bad.

I do have experience. I was a childcare counselor for a few years and I worked at an orphanage as well as a senior citizen's center with the elderly who had schizophrenia, bipolar and the like.

What do the CC courses do for you at this point in the game? I have a 2.8 GPA...not because I was partying, but rather that I became ill Without going into all the details, , come to think of it, now they have special scholarships for those who have what I have. I am trying to turn this around and maybe it will work to my advantage. Trying to stay positive etc.

Since the SDSU MFT doesn't require a particular undergraduate degree, pretty much any class will do, as long as you you get straight A's in them to increase your GPA. Take some psych classes you haven't taken, some sociology, human development...whatever tickles your fancy.

I want to bounce back from this. I do want to do it right, but I don't know how I can.
Well, the first step is to not waste any more money on a worthless degree. Second, consider an MSW. SDSU offers one (even with a clinical concentration)- their application deadline isn't till February; If you take a full course load of easy classes at a CC (and get A's in all of them) you may even get your GPA above 3.0 and be able to apply for next Fall. If you can't take a full course load, take 2 classes a semester, get some clinical experience, get a good GRE score.

You can do it the right way, but it's a conscious decision you have to make and you need to be okay with the fact that it takes some dedication and the understanding that the easiest way is not always the best way.

Actually, having an MFT may not put you at as much of an advantage as you may think. It MIGHT help, but it's not going to put you on top of the applicant pool just because you have an ma/ms.

Also, you said in your previous thread 1) you hate research 2) you hate statistics and now you want to shoot for a PhD? Even if you did got into a funded program, you would be completely miserable, not to mention probably not graduate. I just spent 5 hours today, wrote over 3 pages of code and left with no real progress.

Sometimes you have to do what you do not like. I have loans that a family friend co-signed for and now is paying for. Sometimes we have to do what we don't want to in order to move forward and get out of this pit.

Thanks for your opinion bpsydme

Oh, come on now, how many people loved stats initially? Right, an MFT won't put the OP over the top w/r/t PhD programs, but it's a heck of a lot better in terms of a career than an unaccredited Art Therapy degree.

I guess one of the first things I need to do (besides talking to SDSU) is to prepare and study for the GRE. I have NEVER taken it. What if I do well on it, and my 2.8 GPA will not look so bad.

I do have experience. I was a childcare counselor for a few years and I worked at an orphanage as well as a senior citizen's center with the elderly who had schizophrenia, bipolar and the like.

Study like your future depends on the GPA - in terms of reputable grad programs, well, it does. On-the-job experience (what you have) will only get you so far; many programs have GRE & GPA cut-off's; in your case, you're going to be relying on a good GRE score to boost your less-than-stellar GPA.

Out of sheer curiosity, are there any (reputable) MSW programs in the San Diego area? Just a thought.

Since the SDSU MFT doesn't require a particular undergraduate degree, pretty much any class will do, as long as you you get straight A's in them to increase your GPA. Take some psych classes you haven't taken, some sociology, human development...whatever tickles your fancy.

Well, the first step is to not waste any more money on a worthless degree. Second, consider an MSW. SDSU offers one (even with a clinical concentration)- their application deadline isn't till February; If you take a full course load of easy classes at a CC (and get A's in all of them) you may even get your GPA above 3.0 and be able to apply for next Fall. If you can't take a full course load, take 2 classes a semester, get some clinical experience, get a good GRE score.

You can do it the right way, but you have to make the choice to actually do it.

This is like the best advice I have heard so far. I can do that. You think a MSW will be easier for me to get into? What will the MSW do for me in terms of applying for Doctorate Degrees or PhDs down the line? I am trying to see the whole picture now and make wiser choices as opposed to before.

This is like the best advice I have heard so far. I can do that. You think a MSW will be easier for me to get into? What will the MSW do for me in terms of applying for Doctorate Degrees or PhDs down the line? I am trying to see the whole picture now and make wiser choices as opposed to before.

I think MSW and MFT are about the same in terms of acceptance chance.
And no, applied degrees (such as the MSW or MFT) do not improve your chance of acceptance into a respectable doctoral program. PhDs are research degrees that value research experience. You won't get that in a MSW or MFT program.
To make yourself competitive for a reputable PhD program (which are all research oriented as the PhD is a research degree, although some programs may be more clinically focused), you'll need research experience, high GPA and GRE.
Given that you're only interested in clinical work, you will be able to do everything that you want to do with a masters degree.

Last edited:

In addition to what Marissa4USA said, in some places, it's easier to find a job with an MSW than an MPH. Take that with a grain of salt - I have no idea what the job situation is in CA.

That said, one of the things you're going to need to consider (especially if you plan on going on for a PhD) is that you will, in all likelihood, need to leave the San Diego area - it's the reality of finding a PhD program that lines up with your interests, then finding an internship, then finding a post-doc. Statistically, the odds of finding all of that in the same place where you are currently are very, very low.

THAT said, if I were you, do some research (it's good practice for grad school, if nothing else!) on which degree will lead to the better job outlook for you - MFT or MSW.

I just want to say thank you to all who are taking the time to write suggestions and words of wisdom. After my 2.8GPA, I thought I was done, finished, excommunicated! It is nice to know that I STILL have a shot if I work hard, study, research and persevere past this.

I have new hope.....I see how hard I am going to have to work....work like I've never worked before. It was always in my heart to do it the right way, but again I was derailed.

Guess I am going to CC to up my GPA, study for the GRE and apply to SDSU AND USD.

I think the idea of moving will actually be do-able and I will like it, when I am accepted to a decent PhD program that is funded. Then I will gladly move....:laugh:

THAT said, if I were you, do some research (it's good practice for grad school, if nothing else!) on which degree will lead to the better job outlook for you - MFT or MSW.

I second this. Do not pick a degree based on whether you like the coursework or not. It's about outcome. Generally speaking, MSWs have more options in terms of employment. You may have a pretty set idea of what you want to do later (which is all nice and good) but it's always best to keep your options open. From what I hear (please correct me if I am wrong), but a MSW can do everything a MFT does but not the other way around.

I just want to say thank you to all who are taking the time to write suggestions and words of wisdom. After my 2.8GPA, I thought I was done, finished, excommunicated! It is nice to know that I STILL have a shot if I work hard, study, research and persevere past this.

I have new hope.....I see how hard I am going to have to work....work like I've never worked before. It was always in my heart to do it the right way, but again I was derailed.

Guess I am going to CC to up my GPA, study for the GRE and apply to SDSU AND USD.

I think the idea of moving will actually be do-able and I will like it, when I am accepted to a decent PhD program that is funded. Then I will gladly move....:laugh:

After going through new-student orientation this week, I've had Grad School summed up thusly: Grad School is like boot camp - you should be working your a** off, and you shouldn't be comfortable - get in, get out, get done.

Understand that you will need to have research experience to even have a semi-decent shot at a funded PhD program and a MFT or MSW will not improve your chances of acceptance at a funded (and therefore research-oriented) PhD program.

You know I was just thinking...doing it the right way..is going to take time, work and patience.

I am glad that I do not want kids (yes you read it right) because by the time I am through, my biological clock will be done ticking,,,,,I will be in my late 30s. Women have it hard I tell you. Some go to school only to put their degrees on the shelf because they become stay at home moms.

You know I was just thinking...doing it the right way..is going to take time, work and patience.

I am glad that I do not want kids (yes you read it right) because by the time I am through, my biological clock will be done ticking,,,,,I will be in my late 30s. Women have it hard I tell you. Some go to school only to put their degrees on the shelf because they become stay at home moms.

Bah to that, too - I had two kids during the time I was quadrupling my original undergrad GPA. (I start my PhD program on Monday; my older daughter starts kindergarten on Tuesday. I do not sacrifice my family time, but you can best believe that, as soon as the kids to go bed, I work.)

It can be done.

It becomes a matter of, What do you want? And, how badly do you want it?

Well maybe you are Superwoman..I don't know...

I do want IT. I do...I want it so bad I am going to CC....

It's like I get a second chance to do it right. I mean really really really right.

As in no more loans, no more hockey degrees, no more online stuff....etc.

Bah to that, too - I had two kids during the time I was quadrupling my original undergrad GPA. (I start my PhD program on Monday; my older daughter starts kindergarten on Tuesday. I do not sacrifice my family time, but you can best believe that, as soon as the kids to go bed, I work.)

It can be done.

It becomes a matter of, What do you want? And, how badly do you want it?

I second the MSW suggestion....and I second this! Anything can be done- I am a single mom and starting my PhD program this fall. It can be done. And gracefully as well too!