Going from retail to hospital

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crossurfingers

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have always heard that it's near impossible to go back to being a hospital pharmacist after you've spent a year or more in retail (unless of course you go from retail to residency to hospital). Is this mostly true? I've graduated a little over a year ago and have been in retail since. I would like to get my foot in the door for hospital, but I'm not sure when I want to do it. From everything I've heard though, I feel like if I don't do it soon, I will be stuck in retail hell forever. Do you think I am really in a time crunch?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I have always heard that it's near impossible to go back to being a hospital pharmacist after you've spent a year or more in retail (unless of course you go from retail to residency to hospital). Is this mostly true? I've graduated a little over a year ago and have been in retail since. I would like to get my foot in the door for hospital, but I'm not sure when I want to do it. From everything I've heard though, I feel like if I don't do it soon, I will be stuck in retail hell forever. Do you think I am really in a time crunch?

It's never impossible. With that in mind, though, the longer you wait, the more difficulty you might have with the transition. You might want to ask dgroulx, since she just went through this same exact situation.

I do know a pharmacist from back home that did retail for 15 years before switching to hospital, but I personally wouldn't recommend that. If you're thinking about jumping ship, I'd try to sooner than later.

Your not in a real time crunch - but who wants to waste time doing something they dont want to do? Jump ship before it sucks you down with it... :boom: (then goes off in a ball of emoticon)

~above~

Members don't see this ad :)
I have gone from retail to hospital and back to retail....totally recommend the switch to hospital. The knowledge you will gain is invaluable. I loved hospital but just got bored with being with the same people every single day. It is not impossible at all. Awesome learning experience!

I always thought and heard the same thing, but I had a conversation with one of my fellow students that changed my mind. She has 4+ years experience in hospital at a large hospital in Atlanta - says that they definitely will hire pharmacists with no residency and only retail experience for the distributive side of their pharmacy. You have to have more training up front (obviously) but apparently they are willing to do that.

There will be a learning curve going from retail to inpatient. Yet, one of the up dan coming young star of our organization was a retail druggist for a year and decided to come over to inpatient.

I was in a similar situation, until about a 9 months ago when I switched to hospital pharm. I graduated in 2007 and went into retail, but really wanted to do hospital pham. I think money was a big factor in my decision at the time. Anyway, there will def. be a learning curve, but I am really happy that I made the switch b/c I have and continue to learn on a daily basis. I don't know your situation, but some hospitals will overlook lack of experience for recently graduated pharmds.

A lot of the retail pharmacists I work with remember stuff about the top 300 drugs and pretty much let the rest go. I'm not saying all retail pharmacists only know the common retail drugs, but c'mon, if you're doing nothing but retail for a buncha years then you're going to forget a lot of information about drugs/diseases that you never use or rarely see.

I have the same thoughts too after working for almost year. But it seems hard to make the transition. I wonder if there is anything I could do to boost my chance. Especially here in California, the job market is so competitive

I have the same thoughts too after working for almost year. But it seems hard to make the transition. I wonder if there is anything I could do to boost my chance. Especially here in California, the job market is so competitive

I think it is still possible as ony of my friends did it recently in CA and I am starting to look into this myself as I think this retail business (CVS) is not very good for me. I think the key is to make yourself stand out from all the other people that are also applying and I think you will be okay even in competitive market. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user