Going Master's Before Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thelullaby99

RIP
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think your current GPA is fine. I've seen people here with that GPA that get into med school. Getting master's AND doing well will certainly improve your application.

Get a 33+ on your MCAT and you should be fine. I have to imagine med schools are a bit more lenient on engineering majors GPA. And people have gotten in with worse. This is all assuming you have some decent ECs though...

Members don't see this ad :)
Get a 33+ on your MCAT and you should be fine. I have to imagine med schools are a bit more lenient on engineering majors GPA. ......

Um no. Might be more lenient in engineering if the engineering courses were harder and bringing OPs GPA down, but the OP's science GPA is good. Besides, the OP's problem is being an international student with a 3.27, not an engineering student with a 3.27.

The truth of the matter is that to affect your GPA, you would need to take more undergraduate courses, not graduate, perhaps in some informal post-bac. The graduate and undergraduate numbers stay separate for most schools, both because comparing folks with just undergrad GPAs with those who also have graduate GPAs is an apples and oranges comparison, and because most grad programs have substantially more grade inflation than undergrad. There are graduate programs called SMPs (special masters programs) which some people use to prove to medical schools that you can handle the rigors of med school classes. But the GPA effects are much more secondary, and I don't know that they help much if your issue is more of being an international student without stellar numbers, rather than someone med schools are concerned if you can do the work.

You might want to ask your question on the appropriate international student board, or on the post-bac board, since folks in pre-allo for the most part aren't similarly situated.