Going to a psychiatrist...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Long Hair and a Beard

Obsessionist
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey peeps...

I have been thinking about going to see a psychiatrist for quite some time now, but I just can't happen to make up my mind on it... Perhaps it is just a silly inhibition of what people will say if they find out, or perhaps I am not sure if I'll like what the psychiatrist will advise me...

Anyone out there who has had been to a shrink? Please share your experience.

Members don't see this ad.

My roommate went in college (not 'cause of me ;) ), and she said it was very helpful. I think she actually went to a psychologist rather than a psychiatrist. Anyway, he (or she??) basically listened to her talk about her problems, tried to get her in touch with how she felt about them and what she wanted to do about it, and then gave her little social assignments each week to help her progress. It sounded kind of like having a life-skills coach.

Thanx Samoa..

I need some more inspiration...

Anyone?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,
going to a psychiatrist doesn't differ anything from other docs- they'll give you some pills for a certain amount of time, make follow-ups and and adjust meds. If necessary, they can send you to psychologists/social workers for other modes of treatment like cognitive-behavioral therapy etc(BTW it's also time-limited).
Go and see a psych, man if you think you need one, as a substantial proportion of medics are suffering from psych diagnoses, but they are generally undertreated- it has been documented. So don't feel that you are unique, if that's the reason which is holding you back.
Hope this helps.

Thanx for the input, nilblue.

I know the bit about med students needing help. And I know a few who are getting treated. But I really don't think that is the problem.

I guess the real reason I am reluctant is that I can't bring myself to accept the fact that there is a problem within my mind that I can't solve by myself. I like to believe that by thinking and pondering hard enough on it I'll finally get to the root of it. And I am making some progress by myself. So it really isn't very urgent a need for me..

Another thing: I believe in curing the root of the problem.. And the pills can only help alleviate the symptoms for a little time. So now I need someone to tell me that alleviating the symptoms with the help of pills will help me look for and cure the crux of the problem.. If someone has had such an experience, please share, and I'll make an appointment with the shrink that very day..

I can't say I have the personal experience of going to a psychiatrist or other mental health professional, but I do know people who see them regularly and I admire these people a lot--for having 1) the objectivity and critical thinking skills to see that the experience might be of value and 2) being secure enough to be open about it with their friends and family.

I think it takes a high level of intelligence to understand that there are limits to what the mind can do on its own, and accept another person/opinion into the situation.

Hope all works out for the best with you!

a psychiatrist is rarely going to help you find out whats wrong. and those pills (may or may not )do more good then harm. they wi ll basically, most likely, find a drug that will alleviate some symptom. and then you will forget the problem, i'm guessing. but, i don't think the symptom alleviation will do much to h elp you figure the problem.

a psychologist may be quite d ifferent, and may or may not be helpful. never ben to one.

I know the situation none the less that you're going thru too well.

umm, if there is something wrong with your mind...
a. you don't know there is.
b. you're acting like there is, or kindof considering it alredy. and if there, you can maybe help f ix it.
c. no one else knows! and no one else ever has to!!(except the psychologist).
d. so what if there is? it doesn't make you inferior. It happens to a lot of people, and most just ignore it (20% says some loose statistics). so, you want to do something about it... and that 's even better.

just, be careful about medicating your body w/ who know what. even if they say side affects are low. even if side affect are l ow. i guess, i believe you should let the mind take care of itself as much as p ossible. a psychologist is just telling you're mind how to take care of itself. just like when our parents taught us how to put on a bandaid.

okay, do what's best. and, don't feel scared to take help from non proffesionals that you can trust.

Sonya

Thanx Sonya and watto for responding..

My mind is finally made up to go see a psychiatrist. If nothing else, to see what they have to offer.

Sonya, I think a psychiatrist could also apply the same fundamentals of treatment as a psychologist. After all psychiatrists would be knowing that not all patients require medications. Anyway, I am definitely not going to try those drugs on my own..

You haven't said what you're so troubled about, but my own advice (admittedly biased by my previous education as a counseling psychologist) would be to skip the psychiatrist and head to your university's student counseling center. Here you would be seen by a psychologist at no charge. Psychologists typically focus more on thoughts, feelings, and experiences, rather than meds (for obvious reasons), but I've never met one who didn't value meds and make referals when needed.

hey :)

I agree with the above post that going to a counselor is a good first step. My therapist at the school counseling center referred me to a psychiatrist after a few sessions because she thought that medicine could help me. However, I'm glad I saw a therapist first because I was able to talk to her about my feelings about taking psychiatric meds.... It was just another person who I had for support, in addition to the psychiatrist.

Medicine for depression (and possibly other psychiatric drugs) do not just treat the symptoms--they do get to the root of the problem (or at least they're supposed to). That's why SSRI's, one of the most common anti-depressants (prozac, celexa, etc) are usually prescribed for only a 6 month-to a year time period usually. I don't understand the full biochemistry behind it, but after being on the anti-depressant for awhile, your brain kinda fixes itself.... Maybe someone else can offer up more details?

I think posting this message in the everyone forum might get more responses..... MANY people have been to psychologists and/or psychiatrists!

good luck!

sunfest girl

ive been to a psychologist who has a masters in theology and a phd from northwestern..

he's a good guy. helps a lot.

just like talking to a friend

I've been to psychologists and psychiatrists (note the plural) and I found that psychologists are better people to see. Psychiatrists really are just pill pushers, that's all they really learn and that's all they have time for. If I had it my way, I would turn over the entire field of psychiatry to the psychologists. Not only are they better trained, a medical education is wasted on psychiatrists IMO. I don't hold any particular grudge against psychiatrists either, I'm a med student and I'm still seeing a psychiatrist, but I just think that they are only good for writing prescriptions which psychologists should be allowed to do.

Questions for Olanzapine:

You have paranoid schizophrenia with chronic suicidality and psychosis.

(1) Would you want to be treated by a psychologist who would use talk therapy to try to alleviate your problem?

(2) Would you allow a psychologist whose only training in psychopharmacology was a survey course in graduate school entitled "Brain and Behavior" to medicate you?

Psychiatry will be around for a while. In fact, it's here for good. I'm not sure what type of psychiatric/psychological problem(s) you have been treated for, but I highly doubt that you're basing your opinion about psychiatry on the severe cases that can be seen worldwide on any inpatient psych unit. Psychiatric comorbidity is a huge issue in modern psychiatry. Psychologists have minimal to no training in basic human physiology, psychopharmacology, and the legion of interactions between organ systems. Most do not even have a grasp of fundamental neuroanatomy. Would you entrust such people to medicate you with psychoactive drugs?

neuropsych

Beard, heres the scoop: Go to a psychologist to get an eval to see if u got an organic disorder. if so, go to the shrink, for meds. U cant treat organic w/out drugs. But if not, then let psychologist treat u w/ cognitve/behavioral etc. i have exper. w/ mental health care as my bro in law is a shrink.i always probe him for this gray area of medicine. Wish u luck, any more info needed PM me,... cya...delay

Originally posted by agent
ive been to a psychologist who has a masters in theology and a phd from northwestern..

he's a good guy. helps a lot.

just like talking to a friend

Exactly, it is just like talking to a friend, so if you have a good listener friend ... you don't need a shrink :)

1. Psychiatrists have a lot of training in "talk" therapy, as well as in prescribing meds. They can serve as coordinators for care, referring to social workers, etc. as needed. There may even be one or two psychiatrists who have patients who AREN'T on meds!
2. Just as dietary changes won't help every diabetic, talk therapy (whether with friends or a professional) won't help everyone who is depressed (and will help vanishingly few people with schizophrenia). Psychiatric diseases in many cases are chemical imbalances, just like many other, treatable diseases.
Unfortunately many insurance cos won't reimburse psychiatrists well for therapy, since they think therapists can do it more cheaply-I think they are far more responsible for encouraging med use rather than therapy.

Originally posted by notstudying
Unfortunately many insurance cos won't reimburse psychiatrists well for therapy, since they think therapists can do it more cheaply-I think they are far more responsible for encouraging med use rather than therapy.

yes you are right !!!