General Admissions & OTCAS Going to an OT School that is not accredited yet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anniie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!!

Should I take my chances in going to an OT school that is in their initial accreditation process (Tentative Visit: 2015/2016)?
I wanted to know if it will make a difference in finding jobs and having the educational quality to be a good occupational therapist.

Members don't see this ad.

I would try to visit though, there is a lot of disorganization in the first few classes. Make sure to ask faculty what needs work/fine tuning and how they plan to adjust. If they don't have any answers be wary.
Which unaccredited schools are you considering?

I wouldn't suggest it if you have other options. I'm currently in the newly-created hybrid version of a long-standing accredited traditional program. And even they don't have their s#&! together yet. I often feel like we're teaching the faculty just as much about what is helpful/useful/informative as they're teaching us about OT. I can only imagine that a non-accredited program will be much-the-same (if not worse).

Members don't see this ad :)
I am in my first semester of an OTD program that is in the process of accreditation and I am fortunate that my program is being run very well. I had to choose between 3 accredited MOT programs and this one non accredited OTD program. Aside from it being my alma mater, I could tell that there was no disorganization in the process of creating this program. If you do sense that the program is scattered or unorganized, run. I have never been through a more challenging experience in my life (the program itself I mean), and I could not imagine the added stress of disorganization. As for the accreditation process, there's not much to worry about. It's extremely hard for programs to not get approved because the accrediting body holds their hands the whole way. I hope this gives some sort of insight from the dark side of the accreditation debate :pompous:

Reactions: 1 users
I am in my first semester of an OTD program that is in the process of accreditation and I am fortunate that my program is being run very well. I had to choose between 3 accredited MOT programs and this one non accredited OTD program. Aside from it being my alma mater, I could tell that there was no disorganization in the process of creating this program. If you do sense that the program is scattered or unorganized, run. I have never been through a more challenging experience in my life (the program itself I mean), and I could not imagine the added stress of disorganization. As for the accreditation process, there's not much to worry about. It's extremely hard for programs to not get approved because the accrediting body holds their hands the whole way. I hope this gives some sort of insight from the dark side of the accreditation debate :pompous:

Thanks for posting your opinion! :)

There will be tweaks and things that a non-accredited school will need to adjust in the beginning, but to get to the Candidacy Status with ACOTE, and start accepting students, the important parts need to be in place.

I was accepted to two other accredited programs but I chose to go to Stanbridge in Irvine because of its location and the flexibility of the schedule. It was an easier choice after I visited the campus and met with the Program Director.

I can tell you that I have been impressed overall by the level of professionalism, the course content and expectations set forth, and most of all, the faculty. Several of our professors are graduates from USC. They are young (read: current) and highly qualified practicing OTs and they have already set their goals that they want to give us the knowledge, tools and experience that we need to a) pass the NBCOT, and b) be quality Occupational Therapists.

So far, I feel they have done an excellent job.

Where do you go?

Hey guys!!

Should I take my chances in going to an OT school that is in their initial accreditation process (Tentative Visit: 2015/2016)?
I wanted to know if it will make a difference in finding jobs and having the educational quality to be a good occupational therapist.

Just ask ACOTE first

Last edited:
I chose to attend a non accredited school but called ACOTE before accepting. They said it's very rare for a school to not gain accreditation after going through two on site evals which my school has had. Years to process? I haven't heard that. I believe after the third on site eval the school should hear back soon after. But if your school does receive accreditation they will either get re-evaluated three or five years after being granted accreditation I believe..so maybe that's what the above poster meant. Also check and see if the non accredited school you're interested in has agreements with other schools. Incase they do you can finish up your degree at another school and sit for the exam.