Going to India

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TB15

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have decided to go t med school in in India. My parents found my interest in law school and girls disturbing so they are shipping me off to India. But I guess it's good, since I get to forgo the undergraduate BS, and save 4 years. Leaving on May 20th. Thank god, its a day after Star Wars III. Anyway, this post is for others going to India of med school this year, or for those already there.

Members don't see this ad.

They found your interest in ladkis disturbing????? What would they have preferred might I ask? Dudes?

Hope you enjoy yourself in our Matri-bhoomi (that means motherland) :cool: .

sunny123 said:
They found your interest in ladkis disturbing????? What would they have preferred might I ask? Dudes?

Hope you enjoy yourself in our Matri-bhoomi (that means motherland) :cool: .
My interest in ladkis is disturbing too for me Coz I am single :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
^ :laugh: Aww Sid-bhai... I'm sure someone will walk up to your door one day, and offer you a samosa, that she made especially for you. Then, when I hear the shenai's playing in the distance, I'll know that your beloved has come. :D

hope our paro is listening to this!paro.....paro....... :laugh:
sunny123 said:
^ :laugh: Aww Sid-bhai... I'm sure someone will walk up to your door one day, and offer you a samosa, that she made especially for you. Then, when I hear the shenai's playing in the distance, I'll know that your beloved has come. :D

sunny123 said:

awww... :laugh: :laugh:

Premedtomed said:
My interest in ladkis is disturbing too for me Coz I am single :laugh:

Well that explains the posts....

And if you are so keen on finding a gf....then you need to get out there...you can't wait for one to walk up to you....i'm sure you can charm a few..G'luck anyways

which school do you go to?

c'mon now premed2med - there's got to be scores of indian auties trying to introduce u to their daughters, nieces, etc....
i find this sort of entertainment at any desi gathering.. :D :cool:

Yeah Miss Lata you are right. But then I don;t want to hook up with those nerdy ones that need aunties to help out.

BTW I am just kidding. I will attending U Cincinnati COllege of Medicine.

I am actually feeling free and relaxed now since everything's been taken care of.
U see I migrated to the US in '99. Lived with my parents in OMan, Middle East next year. Then came back for college and our financial situation wasn't looking good. Slwoly things have changed and I have started going "out"

So, I am like the next step is to get a gf. My one and only elder brother got married in Feb. So that is sort of an extra push

TB15 said:
My parents found my interest in law school and girls disturbing so they are shipping me off to India.
Am I the only one who doesn't get it: What's wrong with law school?

Premedtomed said:
Yeah Miss Lata you are right. But then I don;t want to hook up with those nerdy ones that need aunties to help out.

Congrats!!! You'll find someone in med school :)
I am actually feeling free and relaxed now since everything's been taken care of.
U see I migrated to the US in '99. Lived with my parents in OMan, Middle East next year. Then came back for college and our financial situation wasn't looking good. Slwoly things have changed and I have started going "out"

So, I am like the next step is to get a gf. My one and only elder brother got married in Feb. So that is sort of an extra push
I'm glad things worked out.
haha and now that your brother's married, you're next... :eek: :p

rxgal8 said:
Am I the only one who doesn't get it: What's wrong with law school?
I don't get it either... nothing wrong with Law at all.

sunny123 said:
I don't get it either... nothing wrong with Law at all.

Theres nothing wrong with law school, but there is something wrong with my parents. You see, when I applied to university in Jan, I applied for all the science programs. I also applied to a couple of economics programs, since I was still undecided about med school. Finally I decided that med school was probably not for me a month ago, and told my parents that I want to do something else, maybe law school. My parents panicked and bought a seat in an Indian med school without telling me. They then spent the past month buying me things and brainwashing me. Finally, I'm a week away from going, and pretty happy about it. As long as I get to see Star Wars III before I go, otherwise I would have been so pissed. Sorry if my law school comment didn't make too much sense. And the comment about girls, my mom thiinks that they are too much of a distraction for me. My life is truly sad, but atleast they buy me whatever I want.

Members don't see this ad :)
^ Are you happy about it because they bought you stuff, or is this the brainwashing talking?

My life is truly sad, but atleast they buy me whatever I want.

What exactly are they buying you? Candy?

All jokes aside, you said you weren't happy about going into med, what really changed your outlook? Remember that YOU are the one that will have to go through all that hard work to become a doctor, NOT your mom and dad.

By the way, there's nothing wrong with my parents. It's just their obsession with education that really makes them unbalanced. Otherwise they are the best parents in the world. I feel bad for them, mainly because I'm the wrong type of son for them. I would truly be satisfied living on welfare, I don't need a ****ing Mercedes. And I know that's what all doctors are after, the almighty dollar. Don't ever fool yourself into thinking that you do this to help people. If you really wanted to help, why the hell do you charge a patient for such a nessesary thing as treatment for a life threatening ailment. $30000 for an operation, that is plain wrong. Most doctors are scumbags, and I'm about to become one. Especially those NRIs that study in India and go back to the US, those are the real greedy pricks. I'm leaving and never coming back, whats the point in living in a foreign land, and being ridiculed by every white trash dick with an IQ lower than my foot fungus. Do you know that a kid called me 'mud' at school today. The only thing I could say to him was that he was failing biology, while I got the highest mark, and that my dad was rich while his dad was a pumber. But apparently plumbers can make lot in this country.
Sorry for the rant.

TB15 said:
By the way, there's nothing wrong with my parents. It's just their obsession with education that really makes them unbalanced. Otherwise they are the best parents in the world. I feel bad for them, mainly because I'm the wrong type of son for them. I would truly be satisfied living on welfare, I don't need a ****ing Mercedes. And I know that's what all doctors are after, the almighty dollar. Don't ever fool yourself into thinking that you do this to help people. If you really wanted to help, why the hell do you charge a patient for such a nessesary thing as treatment for a life threatening ailment. $30000 for an operation, that is plain wrong. Most doctors are scumbags, and I'm about to become one. Especially those NRIs that study in India and go back to the US, those are the real greedy pricks. I'm leaving and never coming back, whats the point in living in a foreign land, and being ridiculed by every white trash dick with an IQ lower than my foot fungus. Do you know that a kid called me 'mud' at school today. The only thing I could say to him was that he was failing biology, while I got the highest mark, and that my dad was rich while his dad was a pumber. But apparently plumbers can make lot in this country.
Sorry for the rant.
I don't live in the US, so I can't say that we charge patients 30g's for a life saving operation, in Canada, the government takes care of that (we are not privitized here).

Now why did this kid call you "mud"? He just called you this outta the blue?

Dude, chill out.

Going to India will be great. All that I have to say is stay occupied.
Don't worry about all this white trash crap.

He's what he is white trash. Just don't laugh in his face :laugh:

Us Indians are very successful and that should be your source of inspiration.

Snap out of this scumbag crap .

Once you become wealthy as a doctor, you can help India. You will still be helping out Indians by making a presence in the medical field ;)

I live in Canada too, but I was refering to the US. Anyway, didn't a kid ever make fun of your brownness, of the region of the world you were from. I remember especially during 9/11 times. I always got looks at school, since I was the only coloured kid. I even had to convince my friends that I wasn't dangerous. What an embarrasing year.

TB15 said:
I live in Canada too, but I was refering to the US. Anyway, didn't a kid ever make fun of your brownness, of the region of the world you were from. I remember especially during 9/11 times. I always got looks at school, since I was the only coloured kid. I even had to convince my friends that I wasn't dangerous. What an embarrasing year.

No. I guess one would make fun of you only if you let him/her.

After 9/11, some of my friends were concerned about my safety.
Again, if you go to the wrong places then yeah.
But I understand how horrible high school can be. It is terrible.
Just chill bud. It is not too terrible. Don't feel devastated.

TB15 said:
Sure I got called a Paki, but I just told them that they were idiots, because I wasn't even a Pakistani. I never got called mud/brownie/darkie/taxi driver/etc., and yes I am brown. Why should 9/11 even affect you? Unless your name was Osama (and I knew a couple of them), you shouldn't have had any problems. I don't think I ever had people make fun of where I was from, HOWEVER, I did experience differing attitudes.. because I was brown. I just gave those people an even bigger attitude and blatently tell them I didn't appreciate what they were doing.

Wow, that is terrible Sunny.

But one thing I must say is that most of these people such f**** up lives, that I feel sorry for them.
They are like savages out of control -really violent.

Premedtomed said:
Wow, that is terrible Sunny.

But one thing I must say is that most of these people such f**** up lives, that I feel sorry for them.
They are like savages out of control -really violent.
Meh... I delt with it, and I wasn't hurt (neither emotionally or physically). But you Sid live in the States, and has it been more problematic than here in Canada? Have they been violent towards you? I know racism against brown people were really big in North America (I'm talking about us kids, not the grownups.. they faced a different type of racism) back in the 80's. SOme of the white kids would beat up the desis because of their food/smell/accent. It was pretty bad if no one stepped in to say anything.

Interestingly I never did. After 9/11, one incident happened. But the person was mentally disturbed by all the events and I remained firm.

I think it's all about how you tackle the situation reason being nonsense like this happens with everyone for any kind of reason - racism in our case.

In India as well, stupid **** happens . People say and do stupid **** everywhere.

several thoughts

1) Lawyers aren't greedy????

2) Dude, I knew several kids like you in Manipal ... One girl wanted to be a lawyer, but her parents sent her anyway. She failed I MBBS 3 or 4 times trying to make then take her back to the US. Eventually, she realized they weren't going to take her back and she started studying. She's still bitter. So let's hope you are really sure about this. Medicine is no joke. India is harder than the US/Canada. You are going to have to work your behind off. If you like it, and find it interesting, you will be fine. I know in India lawyers are not looked highly upon, but here in the US, they are equivalent. They are all pretty smart. Anyway, I know it's not use arguing with parents like that. Just remember, it is YOUR life.

3) I never faced racism in the US, but I did face "castism" in India.

make your mind- what colour of coat you wanna wear for the rest of your life?

DrGarfield said:
make your mind- what colour of coat you wanna wear for the rest of your life?
:laugh: :laugh:

Premedtomed said:

yeah congratulations on that..just like things worked out for you until now...they will in future too....and u'll meet tons of people at the univ. ...wait till classes begin... you'll forget abt this then...G'Luck

sunny123 said:
Meh... I delt with it, and I wasn't hurt (neither emotionally or physically). But you Sid live in the States, and has it been more problematic than here in Canada? Have they been violent towards you? I know racism against brown people were really big in North America (I'm talking about us kids, not the grownups.. they faced a different type of racism) back in the 80's. SOme of the white kids would beat up the desis because of their food/smell/accent. It was pretty bad if no one stepped in to say anything.

I don;t think people here in N. america are racist towards others...but i have seen a difference in their attitude towards people of other races in states where asians are present in large numbers.... like NJ and NY. But like in pennsylvania..here people don't know much about india...they haven't met many indian people...so they don't have any pre-established notions or ignorant ideas...which works out well...but if you go to NJ or NY...there are so many indians..and in good jobs and nice schools etc..i don't know if its jealousy...or what ...but i have to admit...when too many indian people get together...they get over-comfortable...i;ve seen them act like idiots..and disrespectfully....so in that case...who wouldn't dislike them....its just that when we dislike them--we dislike those particular people...but some white people develop dislike toward the entire culture and race i guess...but thats not true for most people here, all people i've met are so inviting and understanding...but i have to open up too....
And its only few idiots who are ignorant and make racist comments-- it is tough to rise above all that...but one has to....I feel so sad learning that people elsewhere are treated differently sometimes..
Also High school is tough for most people regardless of race....but college students are more open to differences...

well ,where there is a human , there is idiocity lurking around ! hey med boy ..the one who styarted this thread ...which medical school r u going ? i`m here in mangalore , MAHE ...Good luck for the next thread of ur life .

hopeful05 said:
I don;t think people here in N. america are racist towards others...but i have seen a difference in their attitude towards people of other races in states where asians are present in large numbers.... like NJ and NY. But like in pennsylvania..here people don't know much about india...they haven't met many indian people...so they don't have any pre-established notions or ignorant ideas...which works out well...but if you go to NJ or NY...there are so many indians..and in good jobs and nice schools etc..i don't know if its jealousy...or what ...but i have to admit...when too many indian people get together...they get over-comfortable...i;ve seen them act like idiots..and disrespectfully....so in that case...who wouldn't dislike them....its just that when we dislike them--we dislike those particular people...but some white people develop dislike toward the entire culture and race i guess...but thats not true for most people here, all people i've met are so inviting and understanding...but i have to open up too....
And its only few idiots who are ignorant and make racist comments-- it is tough to rise above all that...but one has to....I feel so sad learning that people elsewhere are treated differently sometimes..
Also High school is tough for most people regardless of race....but college students are more open to differences...

I think racism doesn´t come as much from prode from one´s own race as much it does from feeling of insecurity or feeling of threat from the other races.
In the areas where the locals encounter the asian and indian immigrants posing as an intimidating competition in the studies and career areas, they start getting racial thoughts. They would not have these strong racial thoughts if they didn´t find the asians or indians a threat to their own future.

yep...thats true.... you know i hide my test scores when we get our tests back in college from other students ..its wierd...but i can't help it :oops: ...i don't want them thinking that just because i do well i think they are dumb....because i obviously don't believe that...but people can get the wrong idea... :(

ooooooh so u wanna tell them that they're dumb anyways- your own grades disregarded! that's Bold.