Going to international school and working back home.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

micka418

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, quick question. I am an American born resident and a few of the med schools I will be applying to will be located in Canada. The question is this, if I go to a medical school in Canada will there be any difficulties in practicing in the U.S.A and what might I have to do in order to practice in the U.S.A.?

Members don't see this ad.

Doesn't matter, once you move to Canada you'll never want to go back

Reactions: 2 users
Isn't it like nearly impossible to get into a Canadian med school? Like, even if you're already Canadian?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
LOL!

but I also agree isnt it alot harder to get into a canadian school?
Much, much harder. Canadians apply to the US as internationals because (except top 10 schools) it's still easier than applying to Canada

Since Canadian schools are LCME accredited, i doubt you'll have an issue practicing in USA given you take your steps.
Though i'm not sure how competitive you'd be applying here. Canadian med school admissions are essentially a checklist/lottery system. If you have a 4.0 GPA, helped cure cancer, but didn't meet a subsection cutoff (based on the applicant pool stats) in the MCAT... you're out of luck..and that's just for the local candidates. I can't imagine how much of a nightmare it'd be for an international student.

Assuming you get into a Canadian Medical School, You still have a hurdles in gaining residency. Canadian graduates are tracked separately than other International Medical Graduates, their match rate is 70% (see attached). The total number is small. Additionally, unlike other IMGs, the withdrawns and no ranks likely have Canadian Residency slots

I do wonder what other variables are at play in that stat though. I'd imagine that applicants without a US passport or green card would fare a lot worse than applicants that don't need a visa. All else equal I'd have a hard time saying I wouldn't want a McMaster or UBC student vs someone from Wright State or Jefferson.