Going to interviews with someone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

weetzie00

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have the worst direction sense, I get lost going pretty much everywhere. So, my boyfriend will be driving me up to my interview and I was wondering if most people go alone or are accompanied. I just don't know if I should arrange him to drop me off and pick me up later or if it's common to have someone tagging along for tours and waiting, etc. I would assume it's not professional to have someone hanging around but I figured it was worth asking about. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Go alone. Have him go with you to the admission checkin and leave. The interview process is only for interviewee unless specify by the school. I have not seen anyone other than students stick around. Be strong girl;) :D

During last year's interview cycle at Belmont University, my husband accompanied me because it was my first school interview. This schools allows us to bring our parents and or beloved one along but we just have to notify the school how many to expect. My husband got a tour of the campus.

Other than that incident, all my other interviews were just me going alone. I like it this way because I feel I can do better and be myself when my husband's not there.

Members don't see this ad :)
My boyfriend will travel with me if I get any in-state interviews, but whenever I go to a school or job related function or interview he leaves and goes to the mall or electronics store or something. When I was younger I used to drive across the state 12 hours alone, stop in the everglades to eat and get gas, book flights and travel alone, etc but now that I have someone who can come and make sure nothing bad happens I prefer to do that instead. LOL Just find him something to do while you are in the actual school.

Funny thing is... having someone drive with me to stuff usually makes me more nervous for some reason. When I'm alone I usually just chill, listen to music, get coffee, etc and it I feel more confident. So yeah I agree with the person above me too!

Not trying to be harsh or anything, but I'm not taking pavouaxiong's advice; I noticed the result of the Belmont interview was "waitlisted."

I'm just a high school squirrel whose freaking out about getting ready for a 0-6 pharmacy program interview. But I Googled "college interview" and read "the biggest interview mistakes you can make," and it listed bringing someone with you as being a very bad idea. It gives the impression that you lack confidence and maturity. I'm going with kashkow's advice, and I'm going alone.

My parents have driven me to each one this year, they just drop me off at the front door and go do something. This gives me one less thing to worry about, and I can concentrate on napping and forcing some inner calm on the way :)

They usually go to undergrad admissions, get a map and walk around.

When I interviewed at MWU, the admissions lady asked if my cousin was going to be staying with me. She wanted to know if he needed a lunch meal ticket. (He didn't stay) I think some schools do accommodate family members or friends, but its still probably best to go alone.

Good Luck on your interviews!

I would advise against it, it can cast a halo effect against you. My personal advice is to have this person come with you and take you to the building (hopefully you can find your way from there). My sig other came along but hung out at the hotel/explored the city while I was being interviewed. You may come off as somewhat immature and dependent.

Open house and orientation are a whole 'nother thing, if someone is thinking that.

Two stories for you:

I got a chance to do ADCOM interviews last year, one student brought their significant other INTO the pharmacy office (literally the waiting area for students getting called into the smaller offices for interviews). Not only was that supremely awkward in itself, but this person was a) dressed in jeans and a dirty t-shirt and looked disheveled, b) was socially awkward as well. I helped give the tour after and they were holding hands...she was very well dressed and confident, and him being next to her completely ruined that image for me.

After everyone left I had a pow-wow with faculty/the other students and we all thought that to be very very strange as well. I don't recall the admissions outcome, and I don't believe the bf being there had any adverse result, but it's best not to chance it IMO.

Second story: a young person came in with one of their parents who didn't seem to be able to speak English. During the interview, you'd see the parent fixing the student's tie/clothing and the two of them bickering in their language. After the interview, one of the assistants looked up a phrase online and told it to the parent, who then replied, "OH! You do speak ______...you come over anytime, I make you dinner."

Hillarious. Admission result: accepted and currently attending (which is why I had to scrub all potentially identifying info).

Bottom line: don't chance it, and get a feel for the institution. We're a small school, so we really don't mind guests or other personal things...but I'm sure at certain schools, you wouldn't be able to get away with it. If you do go forward, your guest is an extension of you, make sure they're not socially awkward or dressed like they're going to fix a car.

I have the worst direction sense, I get lost going pretty much everywhere. So, my boyfriend will be driving me up to my interview and I was wondering if most people go alone or are accompanied. I just don't know if I should arrange him to drop me off and pick me up later or if it's common to have someone tagging along for tours and waiting, etc. I would assume it's not professional to have someone hanging around but I figured it was worth asking about. Thanks!

Dropping you off is okay but hanging around is a no go--have him hang out at a near by starbucks or go back to the hotel, etc. I think you need to be alone--get in that mindset and avoid ANY sort of distractions--not that Im saying your loved one is/would be a distraction, but he could be.

BUT as they say, different strokes for different folks....

Go alone unless specified by the school.

Not trying to be harsh or anything, but I'm not taking pavouaxiong's advice; I noticed the result of the Belmont interview was "waitlisted."

I'm just a high school squirrel whose freaking out about getting ready for a 0-6 pharmacy program interview. But I Googled "college interview" and read "the biggest interview mistakes you can make," and it listed bringing someone with you as being a very bad idea. It gives the impression that you lack confidence and maturity. I'm going with kashkow's advice, and I'm going alone.

Just because he went with me, didn't mean I got waitlisted. It was just because I suck at explaining myself to the interviewers. :p And I'm not advising anyone about taking a person along with you to interview. I'm just giving my experiences on how bringing a signficant other can lower my confident.

I prefer to go to interviews alone.

Last edited: