going to midwest school possible to get CA residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmD1988

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
does going to a midwest pharmacy (Purdue University) affect your chances to going to say a CA or NV residency? do most residency programs know the strength/weaknesses of the schools across the nation or mostly in their local area? is there a site that shows the statistics of the out of state students applying and matching to CA/NV residencies. any input would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

There are no official stats that I am aware of.

As for how aware a program is of schools outside their immediate area, that will depend on a number of factors (programs may have significant experience with past residents/applicants from other areas, may have a significant pool of preceptors that trained elsewhere, etc).

That said, as far as I know Purdue is a quality school.

There are no official stats that I am aware of.

As for how aware a program is of schools outside their immediate area, that will depend on a number of factors (programs may have significant experience with past residents/applicants from other areas, may have a significant pool of preceptors that trained elsewhere, etc).

That said, as far as I know Purdue is a quality school.

yeah I have heard some residencies prefer students from their area (Southern CA, Oregon, etc.) since they are familiar with their program. I was hoping Purdue University would be a big name to the residencies on the west coast but many ppl do not seem to know where it is some I am guessing it may not that big on the west coast as it is in the midwest. What other methods (besides grades, ECs, and recommendations) should I do to land a residency in the CA/NV area?

Members don't see this ad :)
Seems like you are still doing Pre-pharmacy and starting pharmacy school soon. Why not worry with what you can do now. Do your best to get the best grades possible, get a mentor, do your intern hours at an inpatient setting. Many residency programs give spots to students who do rotations at their sites. Obviously, they give those spots to those whom they like and did well.

Also, get involve with extracurriculum/organizations. Join and make a difference and not just to have it on paper. They can sniff it out at the interview. Wish you the best.

To answer the op, yes local and affiliated schools will have an small to moderate advantage. At my residency, I was the only one out of the 4 who wasn't from the university next door, and all 4 of the incoming resident this year are from that school. Why? They had rotations here, their recommendation either came from a preceptor here or a faculty who's friend with people here. They got an edge over some of the students who I felt were more qualified. It's not huge, but I would say gives them a 20% better shot.

To answer the op, yes local and affiliated schools will have an small to moderate advantage. At my residency, I was the only one out of the 4 who wasn't from the university next door, and all 4 of the incoming resident this year are from that school. Why? They had rotations here, their recommendation either came from a preceptor here or a faculty who's friend with people here. They got an edge over some of the students who I felt were more qualified. It's not huge, but I would say gives them a 20% better shot.

I still wouldn't say being local is always a major plus. There are programs that like to bring in outside people. Its a good way for the hospital/department to learn from the residents and how things were done where they trained.

To the OP.... if you're that concerned about matching in the CA/NV area, try and setup a rotation or summer internship at a hospital you would like do to a residency at.

To the OP.... if you're that concerned about matching in the CA/NV area, try and setup a rotation or summer internship at a hospital you would like do to a residency at.

I would 2nd this. Just personally, I know of 3 people that went to midwestern schools that ended up in Cali this year...so there are probably many more. One of them did a rotation out at her site and she felt like it greatly increased her chances.

with my school I can do internships and IPPE in CA for the 2012 and 2013 summers. (I start my APPE in 2014 summer if I want to graduate by 2015). For the APPE I can only do them in Indiana and some in AZ (native american reservations). I dont have a problem with that, except that many ppl I have talked to mentioned that a lot of residency programs give spots to students who do rotations at their sites but if I want to do a CA residency it would be best to do a CA rotation, which for the time being is not offered at my school.

I would 2nd this. Just personally, I know of 3 people that went to midwestern schools that ended up in Cali this year...so there are probably many more. One of them did a rotation out at her site and she felt like it greatly increased her chances.

thats good to hear, if you don't mind me asking what midwest schools did they go to? did they allow CA APPE rotations or was it just IPPE/summer internships?

thats good to hear, if you don't mind me asking what midwest schools did they go to? did they allow CA APPE rotations or was it just IPPE/summer internships?

2 from Cincinnati and 1 from Creighton. Creighton was the one that allowed it..she did APPE rotations all over the country.