Going to school in one state, wanting to find work in another?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmgrl5

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering how this works... say you go to school in Texas but you want to find work after graduation in Mississippi. What happens? Do you have to take the final test in both states to get certified in both states? Or can you take your degree and do the certification test in the state you want to work in? Hope this makes sense. I've noticed that a lot of people apply to states in various states. I am in Kansas, hope to get into KU but am open to going elsewhere. BUT would like to work after graduation in Kansas. If I got into a school in Washington for example would I then be stuck there? Or could I come back to Kansas and work here?

Thanks for any help! I'm trying to build a list of schools to apply to (when the time comes) but am worrying about the possibility of getting into a school in a state where I don't want to live or work after graduation.

Members don't see this ad.

No you only have to take the test in the state which you want to work. Also check with your state board of pharmacy about their specific requirements. My state mandates 500 intern hours besides the hours you earn in pharmacy school, so check because your state my mandate a similar policy.

HTH