1. Check out PREMED.me!
    Offers FREE service to help premeds manage their applications and MCAT study calendars and identify schools to target.

Gold Standard verbal CBT's

Discussion in 'Gold Standard PreMed Headquarters' started by Bgd736k2, Feb 16, 2011.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. Bgd736k2

Bgd736k2

Pre-Medical
    Popular consensus is GS verbal and practice tests are incompatible with AAMC verbal .

I read a thread where a Gold Standard rep said that they were revamping the Verbal practice tests(CBT) online. Can anyone attest to that?

I also heard that due to the relative ease of passages/questions in the GS verbal test compared to AAMC, the curve for the exams are extremely rigid. Do these curves compensate enough? In other words when all is done and you get a score does it have any predictive value with regards to AAMC verbal scores?

Thanks for all responses. I appreciate your feedback!!!!
  2. mcat prep

mcat prep Exhibitor

Non-Student
    SDN Sponsor SDN Exhibitor SDN 7+ Year Member
  3. Bgd736k2

Bgd736k2

Pre-Medical
    hey just want to know if all 10 verbal sections of the GS full lengths have been revamp!

Also, have the 10 Individual verbal exams been revised also? just curious!

Thanks Again MCAT-PREP
  4. mcat prep

mcat prep Exhibitor

Non-Student
    All 10 GS Verbal tests GS-1 to GS-10 have been revamped. Tests GS-1 to GS-5 are live already and GS-6 to GS-10 will be live on June 6th.

Revised individual verbal exams (separate from the above) will also go live in 2 week segments thereafter. We must do it this way because of technical reasons.

For clarity: here is the listing for the 10 full length MCAT Practice Tests (with Revised Verbal Reasoning)

Here is the description of the MCAT Verbal Reasoning program (the 10 VR tests here are different from those Revised VR's in the FL tests).

Good luck!
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2011
  5. epsilonprodigy

epsilonprodigy Physicist Enough

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Just a heads-up: the last 2 GS test I took have listed "0/15" even though I've gotten usually about 38 or so questions right. So the "prescription" shows up like I haven't gotten any right! I think the website is messed up.
  6. mcat prep

mcat prep Exhibitor

Non-Student
    Because all the Verbal Reasoning tests will be new, the diagnosic section, the prescription and the curve itself will take some time to equilibrate. The sciences sections will not be affected.
  7. Got Em

Got Em PharmD; MD/MBA Candidate

Medical Student
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    I bought GS 2 and 3 a few months ago. I just checked the tests again and the verbal section is still the same. How do I go about getting these changed? or do I have to re-purchase?
  8. mcat prep

mcat prep Exhibitor

Non-Student
    When you log into to the Tests page, click Refresh and you should see that the Verbal Reasoning tests are labelled "Revised".
  9. Got Em

Medical Student
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    It's not doing it for me. Only test 1 says "revised", but tests 2 and 3 do not.
  10. mcat prep

mcat prep Exhibitor

Non-Student
    I will have the programmers look into the issue. It should be resolved within 24 hours.
  11. Got Em

Medical Student
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    Now it says "revised" for my other 2 verbals. I have tried them yet, but I'm sure they'll work. Thanks!
  12. mcat prep

mcat prep Exhibitor

Non-Student
    No problem! Good luck!
  13. UtopiaPOV

UtopiaPOV

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    The new verbal test are definitely more realistic to the AAMC FL's. Thanks!
  14. NVWolfPack

NVWolfPack

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I bought a three month subscription and took my first verbal exam #9. I have not read the tricks and tips to mastering the verbal section. It was nice to find an assessment that will help me prep. I also enjoy that it's an online test instead of working solely in my TPR book. It's a nice contrast to the real thing!
  15. Inkoate

Inkoate

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    When are the revised verbal sections for 6-10 going to be updated?
  16. mcat prep

mcat prep Exhibitor

Non-Student
    GS-6 to GS-10 will go live on Monday (June 6).
  17. ddubi

ddubi

SDN 2+ Year Member
    Hi,

I've done all the Kaplan FL tests, and some of the AAMC tests so far. Now, I've just finished GS-VR 1 through 4.

What I noticed was that for the PS sections, GS passages are relatively much shorter and easier than the kaplan and AAMC ones, and the questions are also relatively equation oriented(easier) and question stems are shorter and easier to read.

Also for the VR section, I noticed that GS passages are also relatively easier and there are many questions where I can get the answers straight from the passage almost word-by-word. The question stems were also shorter and simpler so it was easier to read. I thought the real AAMC VR question stems were longer and harder to read (because of their length and more complex sentence structure), and that they contain more of inference+assumption+more abstract questions.

my questions are:

1. Are there other people who feel the same way as I do?
    2. there's a post above saying real MCAT scores were 1~2 points higher than the GS scores. So does this mean AAMC VR is supposed to be easier than the GS VR?
    3. how is #2 possible if [I feel like] GS VR questions are much easier than the AAMC VR questions..?

I'd really appreciate some replies!
  18. whizplusdum

whizplusdum

Non-Student
    I wanted to update people about the NEW GOLD STANDARD VERBAL.
    So what I have noticed, as I am working through EK 101, AAMC, and GS is that, EK has harder questions compared to the actual AAMC exams. I believe that EK does this, so that it will help us actively read the passage and how each paragraphs relates to each other. As for GS (the new edition) For the FL exams 1-10, the verbal is very comparable to the actual AAMC exams and is similar to EK101. However, this being said, there addition 10 Verbal tests (are crap). I have done 4 of the additional verbal practice exams, none of them reflect anything like the real MCAT verbal (taken it twice). The additional GS verbal Exams are filled with over complicated words (which you will rarely see on the mcat). Also, it looks like they just randomly grabbed an article from the internet and copiy pasted everything together, and called it a passage. Why do I say this? Well, a few passages that I have notice had random names appearing out of no where, that has never been mentioned prior to passage. Also, the questions themselves are poorly done. I had a few questions, where they asked what this person said in the passage (but the problem is that the person was never mentioned in the passage). So yes, GS has revamped there verbal, only the 10 FL exams (which include physical, verbal, and bio) are comparable, the additional 10 exams are just bad, save your money. Please!

I am writing about this, because I am planning to retake the MCAT (a 3rd time) because of verbal. I have been improving my verbal score, thanks to EK101 (there questions really make me think about how the passage is organized). For example, if you are able to determine the passage organization, then it should be relatively simple to deduce the answers for the questions. Yes, I do get frustrate with some EK101 Passages for example I would score a 9, (1 question away from a 10) and then the next day it would drop to a 6 (tells me that I should not be relaxed about verbal and should focus more). But besides that, EK does a really good job.
    After practicing a few exams with EK, I decided to take a GS FL, to my surprise, the FL was representative of my scores overall (As in, I got the same score for Physical and BIo on the actual MCAT) as for verbal I got the same score as EK.
    So then, I decided to retake a AAMC exam, and I got the same score on verbal, I just dominated physical and bio. For EK, GS, and AAMC I got a 9. So all three are good resources, but GS additional Verbal is terrible! I will highly recommend save your money.
    So when you are planning on getting GS, get the full length (there physical and bio have passages that are written and organized poorly) but the idea is to test your concept.
  19. MedOldAge

MedOldAge

Non-Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    +1

What is your opinion on (GS7 and GS10) PS & BS?
  20. whizplusdum

whizplusdum

Non-Student
    Hey, I have not done those yet. I have done, GS 1-4 and GS 9. GS 9 was extremely hard, I scored a 8 on physical, totally dominated me. From a few forums I read, GS 7 to 9 are mainly used as a learning experience. As for GS 1-4, I have been having a good experience with them. My score for physical has been 10-12 and for bio, 10 to 11. While on GS 9, (8, 9, 11) that being said, I highly recommend doing GS 7-9. Please be advised, there are a few passages that do not make sense, that I have gone through the discussions for those passages, and other people do agree with me (that the passages do not make sense) besides that, you these exams as a learning experience. I have actually seen a few questions that are on my GS exam that I saw on my 2nd attempt for the MCAT!

GS exams are tricky, that being said, the MCAT can be tricky. GS is harder because there physical and bio are on steroids, so use these as a learning experience. Even if I score well on physical and bio, I know that these questions are harder than the actual MCAT, doing harder passages will help you be able to break down complicated passages into simple parts.

That being said, there Bio passages are shorter ( a shorter passage does not mean easier!)/ There physical are harder (more calculations) and to do well, you need to be able to apply concepts and fully understand what the question is asking you (esp tricky questions).

If anyone has any advice for verbal please, tell me what worked best for you. Esp for people who are in my situation, who have been scoring low and are now able to get a score 9 plus.

I hope this answers your question
  21. Ehwic

Ehwic

SDN 2+ Year Member
    What does everyone think of the new verbal CBT? Is it better than before?
  22. MedOldAge

MedOldAge

Non-Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Yeah, :thumbup: extremely good comments. I appreciate it.

PS in FL9 is ugly, I agree.

I am really interested & value your comments on 3,4, 6, 7,8 10 since we only did 1, 5, 9.

If you don't mind, I will appreciate you can comment again once you go through those. :p

Again, thank you very much :)

Let me talk about VR.
    I am sure you find many secret strategies floating around on SDN campus. To me, one has to have certain fundamental reading skill to tackle VR. If you are in below 8, my opinion below may not apply. Since you are above 8, may be, may be what I say make sense to you.

We all have our personal opinion judging on ANYTHING.....as we always put our own feeling to choose the answer. To me, we have to take ourselves out from the decision process to choose answer. The author is ALWAYS RIGHT. How many times you have seen on SDN people comment on "they don't agree on the solution etc. etc. No No No, you are wrong. I find out this situation is particularly true when one is hitting at 13+ zone where 2 to 3 questions error separating them from 15 to 12. It is easy to say than to do what I said. However, I believe whoever see that "transparently" will finally see the "light" and conquer VR.
  23. whizplusdum

whizplusdum

Non-Student
    Hey MedOldAge,
    To be honest, I do like the VR on the CBT for GS. But it has its flaws. For example, the verbal from FL 1,2 and 9 were great! They really test your abilities to understand what the author is telling you. However, I dislike the verbal from GL 3 and 4. I believe that verbal 3 and 4 were written from a different person compared to the other FL verbal exams that I have done.
    The reason I have came up with the conclusion is that, exam 1,2, and 9 followed EK and AAMC format (the passages were the right length, the question types were also very similar, testing you ability to understand the main point, the author's point and how to apply what you have learned from the passage into another instance).
    That being said, GL verbal 3 and 4 are extremely long, each passage is over 600 words (not including the small print, where they have acquired the passage from). The questions themselves do not resemble the MCAT, matter in fact, they resemble Princeton Hyperlearning, which is not that great.
    I will give an example of what I mean;
    When Princeton Hyperlearning ask for "what the author implies"- it is usually something that is stated word for word in the passage (this is not how the AAMC and EK verbal exams are, matter in fact, AAMC and EK both warns that it is something NOT stated word for word in the passage (and if you are to mark the answer choice that quotes the passage then expect yourself to get that question wrong), but it covers what is the main topic about the passage or why the author has wrote this passage) Usually word for word answer choices are incorrect, unless the question ask for "what the passage indicates..."
    I was actually quite frustrated with GL 3 and 4, I had to literally force myself to read at an intense speed in order to answer the question, and when a question on GS 4 asked "what the author implies- and the answer is something stated word for word in the passage) I was actually extremely frustrated. Even though I ended up guessing the last passage for GL 4 because I only had enough time to fully read the passage and failed to have enough time to answer the questions, I still scored a 8.

But the idea is that, I would rather have a good practice exam that resembles the MCAT (in length and in question type) instead of having a test that is much longer than it should be (50 to 100 words/ passage more) and be able to practice how to connect the paragraphs together in the passage, instead of forcing myself to read as fast as I can and not have time to actually think about (okay what is the main idea of this passage, what is the authors point, etc)
    Apparently the GS team knows that these 2 exams are much longer than they should be, but there excuse is "we are training you to read longer passage" which is fine, but at the same time, how are we suppose to learn if those 2 exams fail to resemble the real MCAT?

My final conclusion, Fire the person who wrote that Verbal FL and rewrite those exams again!

The consensus on the discussion for GS 3 and 4 FL are that, they are much longer than they need to be. Another person said, he only had 2 minutes left for the last passage and had to guess on it.

I am writing this, because I wanted to warn you that you should not be dishearten from verbal, physical or Bio from GS. Some exams are literally on crack, where they are so hard that they become convoluted and seeing that timer coming closer to zero just makes it a more indicative problem in your mind.
    But then again, I am learning from these exams. Even though I was mad at the verbal section. I am just using them as practice, to read on the computer.
    No offence toward the GS staff, but your passages are somewhat gimpy (as in cheap looking).
    Besides that, they are still good practice.
    Sorry for the rant, and sorry for not correcting my grammar, I am literally typing this at work so I do not have time to go back and reread what I write.

Please tell me what you think about the exams you did.
  24. whizplusdum

whizplusdum

Non-Student
    I have never done the old GS verbal, but from I heard, they were easily and not challenging at all.
  25. texan2414

texan2414

Pre-Medical
    I did GS-1 today and with regards to verbal, I don't think it mirrors the AAMC format. There are very few "New Information" questions and I saw no "strengthen/weaken" questions.

I do have a question on bio and ps for you guys- When reviewing the answers, I noticed that there are many many MANY instances where they are trying to "trick" you. Do you guys agree with my assessment?

Also, I have heard multiple stories about the scales and the adjusted scale to see where you are at. SN2 said that you score 2 points lower on GS exams than real MCAT but then there were posts claiming that their scale was revised...
  26. whizplusdum

whizplusdum

Non-Student
    I need to revise my review on GS, the more exams I do, the more I realize that you cannot use there exams to determine your score on the Actual Mcat. Each exam focuses on specific aspect of a topic. But overall, my avg on GS has been lower than my average on AAMC. Around 2 to 4 points lower. Which is very scary. The verbal has variations. The more I work on GS, the more I notice that the variations are not good. The question types are not consistent.
    I will revise my review on GS after my exam next week. But overall, I have been getting my butt kicked on physical and Bio. They really test your understanding. Even though there questions are tricker, my actual MCAT had tricky questions. I guess if this is not common of the MCAT, then I was very unfortunate in getting a actual MCAT with tricky questions =(.

I do believe that it is good practice though. It proved me wrong, when I thought I had a good understanding on a specific topic. Which is good, but I do not use GS exams as a predictor. After you finish all your AAMCs you should have a rough estimate on what your score should be. It can either be on a lower range or a higher range. I guess I was just unlucky, when all my scores were on the low range on my practice AAMCS.
    Overall, GS exams are tricker, but my Real Mcat was also tricker, because when I came out of my exam. I thought I got at at least a 13 on BIO, I knew all the answers except for 2 questions on Ochem (these were tricky questions, also worded really poorly so I could not understand what they were asking for) and for Physical, I knew which questions I missed (not because I did not know my material, but because there were more than 1 correct answer, but I had to pick the best answer for physics) which we do not see on the practice AAMCS.

You are correct Texas that they are not a good predictor. But, they help reinforce your understanding. This is why I like them. Even though they need to be fixed for a small amount of error, overall they really test my understanding on topics.
  27. whizplusdum

whizplusdum

Non-Student
    Hey guys, so I have been rambling on about verbal this whole time. Well today, I scored a 10 on Ek101 exam 11 (missing only 10 questions). My concern is that, I cannot seem to finish Ek101 exams in 1 hour. It usually takes me 10 minute per passage. Where I would spend 3 to 4 minutes reading the passage, but the rest on questions. I feel like, because there questions are tricker I have to carefully read the choices and questions. Does anyone have the same problem?
  28. shadid

shadid

Yah I guess I have the same problem - What I try to do is limiting myself to literally 8min per passage and if I go over, I'm in danger zone so I force myself to move on because if I don't I'm going to be missing more questions if I just stay on this passage (because there might be easier passages/questions later on and you definitely don't wanna miss those).

EK questions are definitely tricky in my opinion - seriously some of them are "comon, you really wanted me to think all that"..

I wouldn't take my tips very seriously as I'm not doing that well in verbal either and need to improve big time.

One more thing, I wanted to ask.. I need Full length online practice tests and I was thinking of buying the whole 10 GS FLs.. What do you think of that? Basically, I want to finish them before I start doing AAMCs.. I'm asking you since I feel you're the most knowledgeable about GS+AAMC+real MCAT combo

Thanks in advance
  29. noleknight16

noleknight16

Pre-Medical
    Anyone have an answer to this? I'm curious also.
  30. mcat prep

mcat prep Exhibitor

Non-Student