Menu Icon Search
Close Search

About the ads

1. If you prefer the SDN Blue style, go to the bottom left of the page and select "SDN Blue"

Golden Key Honor Society - legit?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]' started by crazy_cavalier, 09.12.05.

1. crazy_cavalier

crazy_cavalier T3-Weighted

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    So, I get this email inviting me to join this organization, which claims it is an international honour society (note the spelling of honor... with the international u.) So I'm wondering if this society is legitimate and debating whether or not I should join it.

Thing is, the "honors" section of my application is rather desolate and it could use the friendly company of a few fillers. In the past I've turned down many invitations to join various honor societies, because I normally view such organizations as either baseless scams (a la "Who's Who Among American High School Students) or elitist cliques. But now, it's beginning to look rather attractive, having something like "Golden Key Honor Student" written next to my name. Of course, I do have a value system where I genuinely believe that the greatest honors are the ones that go unspoken for, and that being human, alone, is a condition that has much to do with this. The hero is the man who does his civic duty, quietly and without accolade, like the man who picks up littered trash at a park and deposits it in the appropriate garbage receptacle.

At any rate, I turn to you now for the following:
    a.) is this group (Golden Key Int. Hon. Soc) legit?
    b.) should I join it?
  2. Pontifex Maximus

Pontifex Maximus Rads-a-palooza

Resident [Any Field]
    Physician SDN 10+ Year Member
    I say don't bother. I passed up mine and I was invited twice :)
  3. ti89

ti89 Senior Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    I don't see a point but I'm sure others do.
  4. Labslave

Labslave Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    I passed up on mine as well. Med schools are gonna' know if you just put it down as a resume builder...that's why I didn't join.
  5. 45408

45408 aw buddy

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    it's right up there with the "National Dean's List." If you've got a GPA over 3.6 or something like that, you'll hear from them. The only honor society I joined was because I wanted to apply for the scholarships they offered. I don't feel like paying an entry fee or going to any ceremonies.

If you're going to be active in an organization, then it might be a worthwhile endeavor.
  6. MaryWrathers

MaryWrathers Guest

Pre-Medical
    I was invited four times and declined all. I'm not giving people money for nothing.
  7. ClearDay

ClearDay Senior Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    I join something like that once, paid $40 - $60, and got $2,000 scholarship. The money was worth it.

// Share //

Style: SDN Universal