Goldstandard CBT tests...are they harder than AAMC CBT?

• Thread starter Alfred E Newman
  • Start date
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A

Alfred E Newman

For those of you that have done Gold Standard CBT, how did you feel they compared with AAMC CBT or even the real MCAT?

I just got smoked by Gold Standard 1 CBT and don't really want to take an AAMC CBT test yet because I am saving them for later, but I'm feeling a bit discouraged (made a 24) and am wondering if this is premature or do I need to put it into high gear and learn more stuff (plan on doing that anyways)...but just looking for comparisons from those of you further along in your MCAT studies.

Members don't see this ad.

I took all 10 of them, got in the lower 30's on all.

I make well above that on most other practice tests, they are harder and most people would agree. I would use them for the passages/problems but don't worry to much about the score.

Just use them as an opportunity to learn :thumbup:

Reactions: 1 user
I think I averaged about 4.5 pts lower on GS than AAMC, so don't worry about it. GS is irritating b/c the questions are often horribly worded, then they'll be composed of relatively simple content, but then lots of little unnoticeable "tricks" are thrown in there just to make you lose an extra point or two. Then to top it off, their VR is WAY too easy as far as content, although at the low-mid range their curve can give a brutal result.

I did about 4-5 of them and just let the others go to waste b/c I felt they were wasting my time. If you want difficult material to learn from, use Kaplan.

Members don't see this ad :)
Really? Gold Standard is harder than AAMC?

If I just did GS 1 and got a 10 on BS (40/52) and 10 on PS (41/52), how would you gauge my readiness?

You're doing good then. I'd give that score a 34-36 on AAMC from my experience (that is, as long as your scores are consistent in GS).

Ugh, just got a 9 (39/52) on GS 2 Physical Sciences.

That sucks :(

Some of those passages are VERY hard.

Don't worry about it. Once you get to the AAMC's you'll feel very good, trust me :D Getting around 10s on GS is pretty good. ;)

I sure hope so. I just finished GS 2 Bio and got a 10 (39/52).

Some of these questions are brutal. When I took AAMC 3 around 5 weeks ago before all my review I made a 11 and a 10 on the sciences.

Oh well. I guess working with hard material will pay off in the end :confused::confused::confused:

I sure hope so. I just finished GS 2 Bio and got a 10 (39/52).

Some of these questions are brutal. When I took AAMC 3 around 5 weeks ago before all my review I made a 11 and a 10 on the sciences.

Oh well. I guess working with hard material will pay off in the end :confused::confused::confused:
In all honesty, I didn't find the GS stuff very helpful at all. I felt more like I wasted my time with it.

But, having said that, your 10s are pretty good and I'd say they're probably 11-12s on an AAMC. Like I said, I average about 5pts higher on AAMC's than GS, also with much less variation on the AAMCs. I had a 5 pt swing on my GS exams and I've only been swinging a point on AAMCs.

Has anyone ever found that they have gotten considerably higher scores on GS tests than AAMC practice tests (36-37 on GS and 30-33 on AAMC)? :/

What would that represent on the real mcat?